Speculation: Who specifically was Andersen calling out

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He's calling out Nylander and Marner. These kids are way too good to be playing the way they are. Marner for the brutal giveaway in front of the net and Nylander for his lack of hustle getting back on the OT goal. With Nylander wheels he could have easily caught that guy, they started from the same spot there's no way that should be a 2 on 1.

Willy actually skated to hard!!! All he had to do was gap control while covering his man and leave Gardiner keep his man to the outside.

Willy blew by his man and chased the puck????? You work smart and you can avoid working hard in that instance.

Not Gardiner's fault in any way there either. We are a young team and show it to much.

I think Freddy pointed that at the team and the ones who are guilty know who they are.

Its on everyone to play solid and not stop skating for sixty minutes. They allow to many shots for to long now.

They have to cut down shots allowed period. Whatever that takes.

Leafsforever89

Apr 22, 2017
Willy actually skated to hard!!! All he had to do was gap control while covering his man and leave Gardiner keep his man to the outside.

Willy blew by his man and chased the puck????? You work smart and you can avoid working hard in that instance.

Not Gardiner's fault in any way there either. We are a young team and show it to much.

I think Freddy pointed that at the team and the ones who are guilty know who they are.

Its on everyone to play solid and not stop skating for sixty minutes. They allow to many shots for to long now.

They have to cut down shots allowed period. Whatever that takes.
You're wrong. Watch the video. Gardiner's fault all the way. Nylander had his man. He didn't need Gardiner's help with Kocecny. Gardiner needed to take Couturier. End to end cam shows it all.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I remember a kid like that in my baseball playing days, gave a Win one for the Gipper type speech, he was ostracized from the team and quit a short time later.

Sounds like a great team ;)

I was made Captain and had to work on hitting to get on base vs channeling my inner Jesse Barfield.

What kind of speech would you give Naz to get him going (and would Gary approve?)? ;)

I’d remind him that he’s been through much tougher situations in life. He handled that. Everything is impermanent. He can handle this.

Gary who? ;)

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
This team is very lucky it is in the Atlantic.

Looks more like they are treading water in the Atlantic trying to keep their heads above water and not drown.

If this team is going nowhere, Trades will have to be made and there are a number of players that should be moved, JVR, Bozak, Kadri, Moore, Levio and possibly Martin, on D Carrick and Polak but not only for picks, but for players that can help us now and in the future.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Looks more like they are treading water in the Atlantic trying to keep their heads above water and not drown.

If this team is going nowhere, Trades will have to be made and there are a number of players that should be moved, JVR, Bozak, Kadri, Moore, Levio and possibly Martin, on D Carrick and Polak but not only for picks, but for players that can help us now and in the future.

One of these is not like the other one :)

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Someone has to say something.

Who is this addressed to?

All the ******** knuckleheads!

I can name 5 on this team easily. Heck I'll annoint Gardiner as the Captain.

Reactions: The Rat King

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
One of these is not like the other one :)
That is your opinion but not mine, he has term left on his contract and has done nothing, trading a lot of rentals is not the best way to get players that can help now and going forward Kadri is not an untouchable and should be traded.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That is your opinion but not mine, he has term left on his contract and has done nothing, trading a lot of rentals is not the best way to get players that can help now and going forward Kadri is not an untouchable and should be traded.

Besides carry Komarov's sorry ass against the best opposition other team's have for a season and a half? He's doing a good job of it.

Who's playing 2nd line centre without Kadri around? Neither of Marleau or Nylander can do that. If you're banking on Tavares or Backlund you'd be a fool. If you're trading Kadri for another centre chances are we're losing the deal.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Komarov has been playing big minutes because he is a good defender and Marleau filled in very well for Kadri when he was down for a few days, move Komarov back to the left side and add Brown.

Komarov/Marleau/Brown

Leafsforever89

Apr 22, 2017
Please explain how he has him? I see him at least a stick length behind?
Even if Nylander was behind Konecny, he did enough to distract him. Andersen would have had the shooter. It was Gardiner's job to take away the pass to Couturier. Gardiner instead decides to help out Nylander leaving Couturier all alone to bury the shot.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nylander made that decision so early, though, and had obviously committed to it (right or wrong). The craziest thing that I can see in that clip is that after it's been established that Nylander is chasing Konecny, Gardiner leaves the middle of the ice (where he's directly between Konecny and Couturier) to attack Konecny. Like you said, Nylander picked his guy at Centre Ice - Gardiner had plenty of time to re-evaluate his options, but he still made the aggressive play at the puck-carrier instead of making sure he was in position to help Andersen with Couturier.

Gardiner had no choice as he was on the only player between the two flyers attackers and Anderson , and generally the rule of thumb is that the skater/defender takes the player who has the puck, and keeps himself between the attacker and the net, while the goalie takes the shooter, on a pass across while the defender attempts to prevent the pass, with his stick or block any attempted shot from the puck carrier.

Nylander might as well have gone to the bench on a line change for all the good he did on that 2-1, as he never got to Konecny in time to impact the play, while chasing him from behind and was out of the play and essentially covering nobody. Gardiner was forced to cover both and had to change who he already had, because for some unknown reason Nylander decided to chase Konecny as opposed to simply staying and going up the ice with Couturier (stride for stride with inside position) and trying to prevent the pass across and Sean from scoring an easy goalie completely covered by no one.

What would be the logic of leaving a player you have perfect position on defensively to go chase another you were no where near? This is classic what not to do here.

Nylander was in perfect defensive position and coverage in case any loose change fell out of Konecny back pocket on the rush that he could then pick up. :sarcasm:

PS.. Willy made the same poor defensive decision against Columbus in OT, deciding to go over an cover the same man Gardiner was already covering, and leaving Panarin all alone in front of the net.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blanche Blanche

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Gardiner had no choice as he was on the only player between the two flyers attackers and Anderson , and generally the rule of thumb is that the skater/defender takes the player who has the puck, and keeps himself between the attacker and the net, while the goalie takes the shooter, on a pass across while the defender attempts to prevent the pass, with his stick or block any attempted shot from the puck carrier.

Nylander might as well have gone to the bench on a line change for all the good he did on that 2-1, as he never got to Konecny in time to impact the play, while chasing him from behind and was out of the play and essentially covering nobody. Gardiner was forced to cover both and had to change who he already had, because for some unknown reason Nylander decided to chase Konecny as opposed to simply staying and going up the ice with Couturier and trying to prevent the pass across and Sean from scoring an easy goalie completely covered by no one.

What would be the logic of leaving a player you have perfect position on defensively to go chase another you were no where near? This is classic what not to do here.

Nylander was in perfect defensive position and coverage in case any loose change fell out of Konecny back pocket on the rush that he could then pick up. :sarcasm:
To the first bolded line, I say... "Huh?" - I thought the D were supposed to cover the passing lane on a 2-on-1 so that the Goalie can simply focus on the shooter. If the D is covering the shooter, and attempting to be in a position to block a potential shot, they're also putting themselves in position to screen their own Goalie.

To the second bolded line, that's a very good question - Really bizarre that Gardiner would take himself so badly out of that play when he was already in a prime position to cover the pass to Couturier. By going after Konecny, he neither covered up for Nylander's mistake, nor covered his own butt by keeping himself in sturdy position - Instead, he got aggressive and left a guy completely open with no one but Freddy to challenge him.

Nylander may have made a mistake, but a veteran D making that worse instead of better doesn't help anybody.

Leafsforever89

Apr 22, 2017
To the first bolded line, I say... "Huh?" - I thought the D were supposed to cover the passing lane on a 2-on-1 so that the Goalie can simply focus on the shooter. If the D is covering the shooter, and attempting to be in a position to block a potential shot, they're also putting themselves in position to screen their own Goalie.

To the second bolded line, that's a very good question - Really bizarre that Gardiner would take himself so badly out of that play when he was already in a prime position to cover the pass to Couturier. By going after Konecny, he neither covered up for Nylander's mistake, nor covered his own butt by keeping himself in sturdy position - Instead, he got aggressive and left a guy completely open with no one but Freddy to challenge him.

Nylander may have made a mistake, but a veteran D making that worse instead of better doesn't help anybody.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Can't remember the season, think it was 02-03, but they had a brutal stretch right at the beginning of December and eventually they had a closed door, players only meeting. Went on a tear immediately after that.

Might be a good idea, air all your grievances.

I don't know if it will work. Marner is like a 14-year-old out there (physically and mentally).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad