Speculation: Who specifically was Andersen calling out

PlietscherDassel

Dec 3, 2009
They're pretty good friends and Marner can never be faulted for effort.
Players make mistakes at times, Andersen would get that. I'm sure he's had these thoughts for some time and it just boiled over last night.
I don't think what Andersen said was personal (and personally i find it much easier to call out friends).
Regarding Marners effort i agree. However he still makes careless plays all over the ice and careless plays in your own zone always make goalies mad.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I am not sure how you can blame Nylander for last nights goal. Perhaps now that you've had a chance to take a step back, reviewing the play will change your mind

We can see that Nylander is back checking the puck carrier, and Gardiner abandons the other man to double up, leaving an easy pass to an uncovered man. To my knowledge this is hockey 101 and not something a vet of the NHL should still be doing. He should have allowed Nylander to attack the puck while covering any chance of a pass, Andersen easily would have had the shot as Nylander was pushing him to the outside.

Look closer.;)

At the very start of the play at Centre ice Nylander is right beside Sean Couturier stride for stride (that's his man) on the play, because Gardiner is already (as he should be) cheating towards the puck carrier Konecny, keeping himself between the puck carrier and the net.

For some unknown reason Willie abandons Couturier and decides to chase Konecny from behind, this forces Gardiner to suddenly change his Dzone coverage (as its useless both players cover the same guy), and try to get over to a wide open Couturier who scores.

If Nylander stays the whole time with Couturier and covers him and Gardiner stays with the puck carrying its a 2-2 rush. As it turned out Nylander covered no one, and Gardiner was lost in no-mans-land covering no one and it was a simple pass to a wide open player for the Leaf loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Matthews.

We don't need to put anymore attention on him and by doing that you're basically are sticking a media magnet on him.

One of the more impressive things this management group could do is put off that decision with Matthews for another season IMO or even give to some else who is worthy of course. There's likely only one other guy anyway.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't think what Andersen said was personal (and personally i find it much easier to call out friends).
Regarding Marners effort i agree. However he still makes careless plays all over the ice and careless plays in your own zone always make goalies mad.
Could be, I doubt we'll ever know.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Just a heads up here for everyone! Matthews is the one who turned the puck over trying a cute no look backhand pass to Willy.

Willy had his guy and choose to chase the puck carrier. Gardiner had the right ice and right gap.

Matthews fault.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Look closer.;)

At the very start of the play at Centre ice Nylander is right beside Sean Couturier stride for stride (that's his man) on the play, because Gardiner is already (as he should be) cheating towards the puck carrier Konecny, keeping himself between the puck carrier and the net.

For some unknown reason Willie abandons Couturier and decides to chase Konecny from behind, this forces Gardiner to suddenly change his Dzone coverage (as its useless both players cover the same guy), and try to get over to a wide open Couturier who scores.

If Nylander stays the whole time with Couturier and covers him and Gardiner stays with the puck carrying its a 2-2 rush. As it turned out Nylander covered no one, and Gardiner was lost in no-mans-land covering no one and it was a simply pass to a wide open player.

Why were they not communicating? Gardiner is skating backwards, he can see everything. Why is he not telling Nylander who to cover and going for the other?

Nevermind no one is giving it to Matthews for a no look give away which set up the goal.

PlietscherDassel

Dec 3, 2009
at 4.5 million you have to produce offense and he's not
Sure, but that is a different topic and probably not why Andersen was as frustrated.
He made these comments after a game with one terrible defensive mistake after another. I think it is pretty obvious what made him mad (not Kadis lack of production).

Reactions: stickty111

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
I thought it was odd (on our bi-week), that a large group of players - Marner, Martin, Kadri, ext went on a trip together. 3 players decided to do their own thing and goto the Bahamas - Matthews, Rielly and Andersen.

Maybe it’s just I’m looking to much into this, but I thought it was strange at the time, as you often hear of the kids all sticking together on these events.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
He's calling out Nylander and Marner. These kids are way too good to be playing the way they are. Marner for the brutal giveaway in front of the net and Nylander for his lack of hustle getting back on the OT goal. With Nylander wheels he could have easily caught that guy, they started from the same spot there's no way that should be a 2 on 1.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think Freddy is bang on, and there are many potential culprits based on the overall play of the team as of late.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Look closer.;)

If Nylander stays the whole time with Couturier and covers him and Gardiner stays with the puck carrying its a 2-2 rush. As it turned out Nylander covered no one, and Gardiner was lost in no-mans-land covering no one and it was a simply pass to a wide open player.
Nylander made that decision so early, though, and had obviously committed to it (right or wrong). The craziest thing that I can see in that clip is that after it's been established that Nylander is chasing Konecny, Gardiner leaves the middle of the ice (where he's directly between Konecny and Couturier) to attack Konecny. Like you said, Nylander picked his guy at Centre Ice - Gardiner had plenty of time to re-evaluate his options, but he still made the aggressive play at the puck-carrier instead of making sure he was in position to help Andersen with Couturier.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Do you guys even watch the games ? JVR gave up the puck to start the 2v1 and Reilly overplayed the rush allowing the pass .Gards was in the proper position for the 2v1 in ot nylander crossed up and went to Gards man instead of taking the trailer on the back check , all while Mathews waa scratching his backside at the wrong end of the rink .

On the 2 on 1 last night, who was the goalie square to? The puck carrier or the trailer?

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Look closer.;)

Nylander starts attacking the puck carrier at the Philly blue line. The rest of your post is drivel. Unless Gardiner has complete tunnel vision he should have noticed this and noticed that Nylander almost completely neutralized any dangerous attempt the puck carrier would have in that situation and went to take Coutourier instead of jumping over to the covered man

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You can solve some of this by trading JVR and Bozak. Pp2 is lame and this teams a tanker waiting to happen anyways.

Praise be to Mr. Andersen, truly he has gone Matrix and is amazing.

This. Seriously, is there anyone who still wants to keep JVR and Bozak because "cup run"?

Freddie is pretty Neo-like, isn't he. Love Freddie, good on him for speaking up!

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
When I saw Freddie's rant, I thought specifically he was targetting Marner.

His reaction after the Marner giveaway-to-goal plus his comments post-game made it seem like he was pretty annoyed at Mitchy.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Oh yeah, I heard that loud and clear. Can't promise it was Freddy, I thought it was Babcock to be honest.

We have a 12 point cushion on some of the worst teams in the league. We could sleepwalk our way into the playoffs.

And they appear to be doing just that. Just because they can doesn't mean they should.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
He's probably sick of facing 37 shots a night and zero offense. He has no cushion to work with most games lately. This seems like a proper time to switch up lines and maybe find a spark, but they don't "pay me to make the decisions".

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Nylander made that decision so early, though, and had obviously committed to it (right or wrong). The craziest thing that I can see in that clip is that after it's been established that Nylander is chasing Konecny, Gardiner leaves the middle of the ice (where he's directly between Konecny and Couturier) to attack Konecny. Like you said, Nylander picked his guy at Centre Ice - Gardiner had plenty of time to re-evaluate his options, but he still made the aggressive play at the puck-carrier instead of making sure he was in position to help Andersen with Couturier.
Exactly. And Konecny was hardly a threat from where he was on the ice, there's a very slim chance he scores from the sharp angle he was on so he had to pass. Gardiner should have just stayed in the middle or even commited to Couturier, not Konecny. He picked the wrong way to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00