Speculation: Who specifically was Andersen calling out

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Andersen mentions power play guys. You can rule out Matthews, Rielly, Brown and probably Marleau. If it's a dman he is referring to it is absolutely Gardiner. As for the forwards, that leaves JVR, Bozie, Marner, Nylander and Kadri.

My take is, he is pissed at the lack of effort in Nylander and Gardiner as well as the mental lapses by Nylander, Marner and Gardiner.

i doubt though he'd be calling out guys in their second year, ya?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Andersen mentions power play guys. You can rule out Matthews, Rielly, Brown and probably Marleau. If it's a dman he is referring to it is absolutely Gardiner. As for the forwards, that leaves JVR, Bozie, Marner, Nylander and Kadri.

My take is, he is pissed at the lack of effort in Nylander and Gardiner as well as the mental lapses by Nylander, Marner and Gardiner.

He was supremely pissed off at Marner. Two goals were on him last night and the one of them when he couldn't protect the puck was totally bush league. If I were him I would have lost it on Mitch for that one, doubt I could have even helped myself. Something would have been said, then he takes one off the bucket as well. He was probably so pissed last night.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Anderson is calling out the biggest culprits Marner and Nylander.

These 2 have been at the forefront to the last 3-4 losses making mistakes directly leading to goals against and losses and Anderson would be focused on the goals against him.

ex. Nylander's lack of coverage on Panarin in OT, Nylander not covering Sean Couturier in OT but leaving him alone for winner yesterday, Marner's soft play on Patrick's goal yesterday getting pick pocketed, and making Anderson look foolish on the play, or Marner is playing point on PP and Leafs giving up a 2-1 SH goal with Marner out of position, or Marner in OT letting Dunn race up the ice for the winner in OT.

Not only are Mitch and Willie not contributing anything offensively, they're killing the Leafs defensively.

Hundred percent. Completely agree.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

He was supremely pissed off at Marner. Two goals were on him last night and the one of them when he couldn't protect the puck was totally bush league. If I were him I would have lost it on Mitch for that one, doubt I could have even helped myself. Something would have been said, then he takes one off the bucket as well. He was probably so pissed last night.
I missed the reference to his name, but hey you have it all figured out, so who am I to argue. It's like Marner did what Freddy did those two games back to back member? Zzzz.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
What was happening on the ice when he shouted "wake the f up?"

I'd sure shout that at Marner for whatever he was doing on Patrick's goal. Never seen a goal like that before. Coming on the heels of another Marner brain fart that cost the game a couple of nights ago, I could see Freddie getting pissed.

I'm a big fan of Marner, but....

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Anderson is calling out the biggest culprits Marner and Nylander.

These 2 have been at the forefront to the last 3-4 losses making mistakes directly leading to goals against and losses and Anderson would be focused on the goals against him.

ex. Nylander's lack of coverage on Panarin in OT, Nylander not covering Sean Couturier in OT but leaving him alone for winner yesterday, Marner's soft play on Patrick's goal yesterday getting pick pocketed, and making Anderson look foolish on the play, or Marner is playing point on PP and Leafs giving up a 2-1 SH goal with Marner out of position, or Marner in OT letting Dunn race up the ice for the winner in OT.

Not only are Mitch and Willie not contributing anything offensively, they're killing the Leafs defensively.

Yes, growing pains.

They will get better, but certainly they are still pliable and hopefully will accept the criticism appropriately.

Now I can accept that he may be calling out some vets as well, but really I don't think there are any vets who haven't hit their peak, or than perhaps Rielly.

Don't forget last game if Kadri's line actually won any battles in the last minute of the game Marner doesn't get an opportunity to screw up in overtime. Now that wasn't due to effort, they just weren't good enough.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Andersen has had his own gaffes recently that have cost the team games so he should probably just shut his mouth.

The team is also playing a style of hockey that pads his stats at the expense of offense so who is he to complain.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Oh yeah, I heard that loud and clear. Can't promise it was Freddy, I thought it was Babcock to be honest.

We have a 12 point cushion on some of the worst teams in the league. We could sleepwalk our way into the playoffs.
It's highly unlikely that Florida,Montreal,Detroit,Ottawa,Buffalo are going to finish above the 80 point mark. We could get 1 point every game and be fine. We should end up in the 90's.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It's highly unlikely that Florida,Montreal,Detroit,Ottawa,Buffalo are going to finish above the 80 point mark. We could get 1 point every game and be fine. We should end up in the 90's.

Not sure, none of them would have to play much more than .500 to close the gap right now.

Good thing the Panthers don't have their starter in net.

Is Luongo finished or is he expected back?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Not sure, none of them would have to play much more than .500 to close the gap right now.

Good thing the Panthers don't have their starter in net.

Is Luongo finished or is he expected back?
As of right now the Florida reports are the Panthers hope to have Luongo available by early February.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I am, it's ok. I would prefer to do it without the cast that has been there and done that before though. I imagine every night they lose during that series will be like reliving game 7, so. haha.

They were missing perhaps their best center at the time and still came close.

Obviously, the way the team is playing now wouldn't be much of a challenge against the way the Bruins are playing now.

Are the Bruins healthy yet? Two / three of their top players have missed games this year, Krejci significant time.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
What was happening on the ice when he shouted "wake the f up?"

I'd sure shout that at Marner for whatever he was doing on Patrick's goal. Never seen a goal like that before. Coming on the heels of another Marner brain fart that cost the game a couple of nights ago, I could see Freddie getting pissed.

I'm a big fan of Marner, but....
This is why Hyman,Brown,Komarov are going to get the bulk of the minutes at present.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
You could see Freddie's body language after the second goal he was upset. I'm glad he called them out. I suspect most of it was aimed at Marner. Teams need leaders. rowing the boat is fine but if no one calls signals you just flail in the water. Hoping for a big effort Saturday. I believe it will be telling towards the rest of the season.

Leafsforever89

Apr 22, 2017
I'm surprised people don't realize that Freddie was calling out Gardiner number one! Isn't it obvious he's sick of all the giveaways and dumb decisions Gardiner has made all season. Why Babs continues to play this pylon is beyond me. Someone please enlighten me.

Reactions: Celly Hard

Leafsforever89

Apr 22, 2017
Gardiner is not the issue in that top 4 it's Carrick and it's the lack of Zaitsev
I agree about Carrick. Borgman should be playing instead. Gardiner has been a disaster however. He can skate but his decisions are atrocious. I would not shed a tear if he was put on waivers and we got nothing for him to be honest. It's addition by subtraction.

Reactions: The Rat King

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
A retired NHLer who had lead his team in scoring, told my friend that he had never seen anyone with better hands. And this guy played against Gretzky etc.
He was so good, he was playing with players four years older then him. His goal totals were higher then other players points totals. He had absolutely no
concept of how to play defensively. His entire hockey career had him just dominating offensively. What he needed in his career was stiffer competition
and never found it and when he did, wasn't prepared. I think he would of made the NHL had he lived in the Toronto area and played against better players.
He got to one level and they had to stick him on the third line and start getting him to play both sides of the puck. It wasn't just the difficulty of learning
new skills, it was getting chopped down to size. It was the difficulty of handling all the pressure, all the expectations, and then not meeting them. Really
it put him in a dark place which lead to some self destructive behavior. Sometimes I wonder if a career-ending injury wasn't the best thing for him. When I
see Marner now, I think people cannot emphasis how much Babcock's coaching and mentoring can put this kid on track. It won't just be teaching him how
to play against the world's best, but how to mentally handle the challenge of doing so. I don't know exactly who Andersen's tirade was directed to, but this
is a young team. Personally, I really don't think it helps to attack the kids who are still on a learning curve. There's enough pressure coming down on them.
Personally, I would be more upset with players that should of already have developed their game and are still regularly pulling off bone-head moves. Granted,
sometimes you can expect things like turnovers with a player who is handling the puck more. But sometimes we're dealing with players like Jake Gardiner
who has 59 giveaways(8th in the league), but his offense is only 40th among defencemen. 27 years old, should be in the prime of his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad