Speculation: Who specifically was Andersen calling out

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
For one, I really don't see Kadri needing an attitude change. His attitude throughout this stretch has been commendable, for all that we can judge. Works hard, doesn't take shortcuts to try and cheat for scoring, is saying all the right things in interviews.

If you look at some of his other comments, he mentioned his annoyance at facing a 2-on-1 on the PP and said something along the lines that the guys on the bench must be frustrated seeing that happen. As such, I'm going to guess that his comment was directed at certain players who make soft and/or lazy plays more than having an issue with people not stepping up. The whole Bozak line fit that description, and so could Nylander. (EDIT: Come to think of it, Nylander PP situation was him not keeping the puck in, but he then worked his butt off to get back and steer off the situation. I don't see Andersen having any issues there.)

Honestly, while he might very well have had someone in particular in mind, I think the root issue/message is that he is saying that they must demand a higher standard from themselves, and if you are not willing to do that then you perhaps don't belong in the group. It's a call to the team to shape up, even though frustration with a certain player or two is what caused it.

If I had to guess at who pissed him off, I'm going to say Bozak. He was floating a bit before he started to backcheck in that situation, and gave up on the play instead of trying a desperation move to stop it. Now I don't blame Bozak one bit there. First thing happens all the time, PP players are in a certain mode and you often see players react a bit slow when they need to get on the defensive. Second thing, he didn't have time. Still, I can totally see a goaltender get pissed because of the optics there. Fits the comments well.

LOL yep. He was definitely calling out the multi year vet, who wears a letter. Give me a break. He's clearly talking about the young kids IE Nylander and Marner. But I wouldn't expect someone like you to understand that.. I mean Nylander "has the ability to be a PPG player", right? LOL. Love reading your posts.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
If I had the power, I'd do the following;

1. Healthy scratch Marner. He could use a couple games in the pressbox to straighten his game out. I'm a big fan of the kid but he's playing like shit and two of the four losses happened on his stick.
2. Trade JVR and Bozak for picks and add those picks (probably a 1st, 2nd + prospect) to Gardiner and make a move for a defenseman
3. Keep Brown with Matthews and Hyman until Nylander gets his shit together.
4. Scratch some veterans and play Kapanen and Leivo. Bruised egos are excellent motivators.
5. Change up the the PP with some new bodies.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
One positive from all this is Marner and Nylander aren't going to ruin our salary cap with big dollar, long-term deals.
They'd be lucky to get a 3 year, 12 mill bridge contract at this point.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Freddy is telling the Toronto media and fanbase the truth. The system is solid and stable. The coach is not the problem. It's the maturity level of the kids leading this team. I have massive respect for Freddy Andersen more than ever before.

100%. It's a nice change to have a real competitor speak up. This guy wants to win and it's time that the kids do what it takes in order to win.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Freddy has to wake up to. Calling out other players on your team or whatever is so immature and unprofessional. Everyone rocks the boat together.

Its done every day in the NHL we just don't get to hear about it.

If there is one guy on the team that has the right to say wake the F up its Andy, without him we would be Ottawa bad, Montreal bad, Buffalo bad.

When you bail out your team as much as Andy does he has enough "Ice" cred to say whatever he wants whenever he wants.

It's time someone other than the guy wearing the goalie pads becomes a difference maker for the Leafs.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Can't remember the season, think it was 02-03, but they had a brutal stretch right at the beginning of December and eventually they had a closed door, players only meeting. Went on a tear immediately after that.

Might be a good idea, air all your grievances.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Is everyone here mentally equipped to lose in the first round to Boston, again?
I'm not so sure I am...

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm not so sure I am...

Believe what you want but I believe shipping Bozak and JVR will light more fire under this team than anything. Kapanen is really good and moving Marleau to mentor and split duty C with Nylander makes to much sense.

Reactions: Captain14

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I'm not so sure I am...

My expectations for this team are so low, just being in 3rd is a win for me, if they make the playoffs that will be another nice surprise

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
My expectations for this team are so low, just being in 3rd is a win for me, if they make the playoffs that will be another nice surprise
Yeah...but I wish we were facing Tampa or one of the Metro teams so at least when we lose it will be easier to take.
Boston beating us would be a bitter pill to swallow.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yeah...but I wish we were facing Tampa or one of the Metro teams so at least when we lose it will be easier to take.
Boston beating us would be a bitter pill to swallow.

As it is, the way they are playing it's more likely we fall off a cliff. This team needs a shakeup now. Lou has to earn his money and be pro active. Andersen just had his bell rung last night and then proceeded to show he is rattled and call out the team. That usually means a tender is about to go off his game.

If you chart hockey like stocks you know the signs. Rielly took a hard spill as well. This ain't looking good at all.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Freddy has to wake up to. Calling out other players on your team or whatever is so immature and unprofessional. Everyone rocks the boat together.
We don't have a Captain. Haven't had one in nearly 2 years. I see no problem with the Leafs only consistent player right now calling out his team. He's being hung out to dry and losing games because of it. Since we don't have a Captain or obvious leader in the room, good on Andersen to try and wake some of his teammates up. Good god it must infuriate him to watch some of his teammates just floating around out there and losing every puck battle.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
This quote:

“We’ve got to regroup. We’ve got to figure out who wants to commit to playing for the team,” Andersen said. “We’ve got to have a different attitude … I think we’ve got to look each other in the eyes here and determine where we want to go from here.”

... suggests a little discord that approaches on personality conflicts. They happen with teams all the time but would really need to be sorted.

As for who... it’s all speculation. But you can see where frustrations would develop with players that aren’t mixing well.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
yah. Andy doesn't seem like the guy who would hold himself over everyone else.
I'm not gonna say he's saying out one guy - but more of, especially with them honouring Bower ( :( ) but stating that being a Leaf is a privilege not a right, let's not get complacent, and think we've achieved stuff.

the only thing i am gonna say is (and i'm saying this for consistancy) is that Andy better hope the next few games he doesn't lay a stinker or a HUGE muffin. He's totally 100 percent in the right to say what he said re: the team but the last two times goalies (also well within their rights to call out the team) did that, they had the worst games ever the next few days following.

It’s a good point.

I remember calling out my teammates in a AAA Baseball game. It was a great speech about pride and shutting the other team up who were laughing at us.

I was leading off the next inning and maybe hyped up on the adrenaline of my Obama quality deliverance, I took 3 magestic swings for the fences and whiffed each time.

Coach just winked and smiled.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Andersen mentions power play guys. You can rule out Matthews, Rielly, Brown and probably Marleau. If it's a dman he is referring to it is absolutely Gardiner. As for the forwards, that leaves JVR, Bozie, Marner, Nylander and Kadri.

My take is, he is pissed at the lack of effort in Nylander and Gardiner as well as the mental lapses by Nylander, Marner and Gardiner.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Anderson is calling out the biggest culprits Marner and Nylander.

These 2 have been at the forefront to the last 3-4 losses making mistakes directly leading to goals against and losses and Anderson would be focused on the goals against him.

ex. Nylander's lack of coverage on Panarin in OT, Nylander not covering Sean Couturier in OT but leaving him alone for winner yesterday, Marner's soft play on Patrick's goal yesterday getting pick pocketed, and making Anderson look foolish on the play, or Marner is playing point on PP and Leafs giving up a 2-1 SH goal with Marner out of position, or Marner in OT letting Dunn race up the ice for the winner in OT.

Not only are Mitch and Willie not contributing anything offensively, they're killing the Leafs defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00