Speculation: Who specifically was Andersen calling out

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Anderson is calling out the biggest culprits Marner and Nylander.

These 2 have been at the forefront to the last 3-4 losses making mistakes directly leading to goals against and losses and Anderson would be focused on the goals against him.

ex. Nylander's lack of coverage on Panarin in OT, Nylander not covering Sean Couturier in OT but leaving him alone for winner yesterday, Marner's soft play on Patrick's goal yesterday getting pick pocketed, and making Anderson look foolish on the play, or Marner is playing point on PP and Leafs giving up a 2-1 SH goal with Marner out of position, or Marner in OT letting Dunn race up the ice for the winner in OT.

Not only are Mitch and Willie not contributing anything offensively, they're killing the Leafs defensively.

I am not sure how you can blame Nylander for last nights goal. Perhaps now that you've had a chance to take a step back, reviewing the play will change your mind

We can see that Nylander is back checking the puck carrier, and Gardiner abandons the other man to double up, leaving an easy pass to an uncovered man. To my knowledge this is hockey 101 and not something a vet of the NHL should still be doing. He should have allowed Nylander to attack the puck while covering any chance of a pass, Andersen easily would have had the shot as Nylander was pushing him to the outside.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Good on Andy, team needs a bit of a wake up call.
Calgary playing much better after the stick throw.

Maybe Babcock one ups Calgary's pratice, picks up Nylander and saucer tosses him 20 rows back .. :D

Got your attention now, MFers?

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
I am not sure how you can blame Nylander for last nights goal. Perhaps now that you've had a chance to take a step back, reviewing the play will change your mind

We can see that Nylander is back checking the puck carrier, and Gardiner abandons the other man to double up, leaving an easy pass to an uncovered man. To my knowledge this is hockey 101 and not something a vet of the NHL should still be doing. He should have allowed Nylander to attack the puck while covering any chance of a pass, Andersen easily would have had the shot as Nylander was pushing him to the outside.

You have to be kidding in thinking Nylander could attack the puck carrier. He’s not even close enough to touch him wth his stick.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He should have allowed Nylander to attack the puck while covering any chance of a pass
The weird thing is that Gardiner has always been very dedicated to the pass in these kind of situations. He's always been criticized for it here, when the shooter has scored. Suddenly he's attacked the carrier two times in a row. Combine that with Hainsey throwing himself at the puck carrier to create a 2-on-0 in a recent game as well, it paints a rather odd picture.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario

This guy couldn't stop a beach ball for a whole month and I don't remember any of his team mates saying to the media to bench him.

They changed to a style of play where they basically play like they are on the penalty kill all game and all of the sudden his stats get better and the team stops scoring.

Reactions: dsred

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
You have to be kidding in thinking Nylander could attack the puck carrier. He’s not even close enough to touch him wth his stick.
If Gardiner forced him to drive in and take a shot, he might have though. Either way, Gardiner should have played the pass.

They changed to a style of play where they basically play like they are on the penalty kill all game and all of the sudden his stats get better and the team stops scoring.
There's been no team-related boost to Andersen's numbers. For all the talk of a more defensive system, we don't prevent quality shots any better than we did. And Andersen improved before we changed things around.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

He was clearly pushing the player to the outside. Their options were to slow down to cut to the inside and get caught by Nylander or keep going with speed and attack the net from the side, in which the other F would have collapsed allowing Gardiner to clear the front of the net.

The weird thing is that Gardiner has always been very dedicated to the pass in these kind of situations. He's always been criticized for it here, when the shooter has scored. Suddenly he's attacked the carrier two times in a row. Combine that with Hainsey throwing himself at the puck carrier to create a 2-on-0 in a recent game as well, it paints a rather odd picture.

Your guess is as good as mine. Gardiner showed everyone last year he is capable of thinking the game at a high level and playing as a top D, and then does things like this. It has to be confidence or something, I have no idea.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It’s a good point.

I remember calling out my teammates in a AAA Baseball game. It was a great speech about pride and shutting the other team up who were laughing at us.

I was leading off the next inning and maybe hyped up on the adrenaline of my Obama quality deliverance, I took 3 magestic swings for the fences and whiffed each time.

Coach just winked and smiled.

I remember a kid like that in my baseball playing days, gave a Win one for the Gipper type speech, he was ostracized from the team and quit a short time later.

What kind of speech would you give Naz to get him going (and would Gary approve?)? ;)

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
This guy couldn't stop a beach ball for a whole month and I don't remember any of his team mates saying to the media to bench him.

Lol

Reactions: stickty111

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
If Gardiner forced him to drive in and take a shot, he might have though. Either way, Gardiner should have played the pass.

There's been no team-related boost to Andersen's numbers. For all the talk of a more defensive system, we don't prevent quality shots any better than we did. And Andersen improved before we changed things around.

100 out of 100 times the d-man should always play the pass on a 2 on 1.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
He was clearly pushing the player to the outside. Their options were to slow down to cut to the inside and get caught by Nylander or keep going with speed and attack the net from the side, in which the other F would have collapsed allowing Gardiner to clear the front of the net.

Your guess is as good as mine. Gardiner showed everyone last year he is capable of thinking the game at a high level and playing as a top D, and then does things like this. It has to be confidence or something, I have no idea.
Gardiner is an idiot. He has to go.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
This quote:

“We’ve got to regroup. We’ve got to figure out who wants to commit to playing for the team,” Andersen said. “We’ve got to have a different attitude … I think we’ve got to look each other in the eyes here and determine where we want to go from here.”

... suggests a little discord that approaches on personality conflicts. They happen with teams all the time but would really need to be sorted.

As for who... it’s all speculation. But you can see where frustrations would develop with players that aren’t mixing well.

Clearly talking about Naz no doubt.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Disagree, no way Nylander could have disrupted the shot. Too far behind.
Well doesn't really matter much. It was an angle where Andersen should be saving it unless it's absolutely perfect. Instead we gave up a prime chance, not only great position but also with Andersen needing to make a major positional change, which opens up holes.

Reactions: saffronleaf

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Care to elaborate why?
I would bet Marner was one of the main reasons he was mad last night after the game.
They're pretty good friends and Marner can never be faulted for effort.
Players make mistakes at times, Andersen would get that. I'm sure he's had these thoughts for some time and it just boiled over last night.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Do you guys even watch the games ? JVR gave up the puck to start the 2v1 and Reilly overplayed the rush allowing the pass .Gards was in the proper position for the 2v1 in ot nylander crossed up and went to Gards man instead of taking the trailer on the back check , all while Mathews waa scratching his backside at the wrong end of the rink .

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Do you guys even watch the games ? JVR gave up the puck to start the 2v1 and Reilly overplayed the rush allowing the pass .Gards was in the proper position for the 2v1 in ot nylander crossed up and went to Gards man instead of taking the trailer on the back check , all while Mathews waa scratching his backside at the wrong end of the rink .
Get the f*** out of here. NUCKY BOY

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad