Who are we going to lose to the next expansion draft?

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I would think Zaitsev. We're gonna have Rielly, Dermott, Liljegren, and possibly Gardiner to protect if we re-sign him and have a ton of forwards we're going to need to protect as well.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I would think Zaitsev. We're gonna have Rielly, Dermott, Liljegren, and possibly Gardiner to protect if we re-sign him and have a ton of forwards we're going to need to protect as well.

Wouldn't mind if we lost Zaitsev's contract.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Nobody knows if the rules will be the same. The expansion draft rules for Vegas were silly. No way should an expansion team be given what Vegas was. Sure they made some deals relating to the expansion draft, but the next expansion team should not be handed the same type of team as Vegas was. Complete joke!
They wont be worse for Seattle.

Bring $650,000,000 USD to the table and you get a pretty good expansion draft.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Matthews
Nylander
Marner
Kadri
Reilly
Zaitzev
Dermott
Lilligren
Andersen

Which leaves exposed Marleau, Hymen, Brown, Kapanen, Bracco, Nielsen, Timasov, maybe Grunstrom/Korskov and depending when it's held prospects from the 18 draft.

Also we.may have to protect Horton as well depending when this takes place.

A deal needs to be made. Pick or maybe offer Kadri up to be selected? We have some good talent left exposed. Can't be an option to let Seattle pick whomever they want

If the rules are the same as the Vegas draft, and Bettman just said they would be, Horton will be exempt because of his ongoing LTIR status.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think because of the Seattle expansion draft Liljegren will be staying in the AHL till it's gone by

keep liljegren in the marlies for 3 more years? that's crazy. You protect a potential elite RH dman and you let a Connor Brown type go, Brown is a great story but he is a dime a dozen type player. Every team has there own brown. I say brown because if given a choice id imagine babcock would keep hyman

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Want to get my story straight here, but I think I recall that NTCs were eligible for exposure but NMCs were not. If I am correct then definitely expose Zaitsev.

yeah I think you are right, and would be a player they may take. He is definitely NHL calibre and would eat a chunk of their cap too would be a good pick and would hurt so much more than Leipsic.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Also ****ty this couldn't have happened 10 years ago when we had nothing worth protecting anyways. Two expansion drafts likely within 5 years of each other when we are finally competitive and have an abundance of assets.

does the vegas one really count we lost Brendan f***ing Leipsic? who cares barely an NHL player although currently 2 ppg with vancouver

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I expect that we'll end up losing someone like Brown. Our defense situation will also have likely improved, so we may end up having to make a trade to protect ourselves when we have Doughty;)/Rielly/Dermott/Liljegren on the back end. If I had to Nostradamus the situation, I'd guess that we end up losing our 1st, Brown, and a cap dump to the expansion draft.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Zaitsev, offer him up. Never-mind, I didn't realize we gave him an NTC??!?!?! WHAAAAT!
We didn't give him a full one. At least according to cap friendly we didn't, it is a M-NTC where he submits 10 teams he can't be traded to, and I am not sure if you can list an expansion team if they aren't in the league yet.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I hope our management is smarter this time around. Protecting Martin over Leipsic looks pretty dumb now
Not really, Leipsic isn't all that good. They are almost the same points production-wise but Martin plays a role, brings size, and throws his weight around. Maybe long term you are right but either way it hardly affects our roster since both wouldn't be playing for the leafs right now anyway.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I hope our management is smarter this time around. Protecting Martin over Leipsic looks pretty dumb now

why? who cares both are non factors, we kept the one we signed as a UFA. Leipsic didn't have a spot on our team and still wouldn't, imagine have to worry about Leipsic as well when wondering how we fit Johnsson on this team. Leipsic at absolute best would be worth a 4th so we lost a 4th

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
We didn't give him a full one. At least according to cap friendly we didn't, it is a M-NTC where he submits 10 teams he can't be traded to, and I am not sure if you can list an expansion team if they aren't in the league yet.

NTC didn't even matter anyway they could be picked. NMC are the one you need to worry about of which we have 2. marleau who will not be here in 2 more season and Horton who is exempt.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Not really, Leipsic isn't all that good. They are almost the same points production-wise but Martin plays a role, brings size, and throws his weight around. Maybe long term you are right but either way it hardly affects our roster since both wouldn't be playing for the leafs right now anyway.
Martin hasn't dressed for us in well over a month because he's done as a Leaf. Leipsic still has some value as a 23 year old with upside. it's bad asset management

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
7 forwards, 3 defenseman, 1 goaltender will be protected. Last year we got kind of lucky not having to protect any of Marner, Nylander or Matthews but if the draft was to happen for the 20-21 seaosn all three will have to be protected.

Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Kadri
Hyman
Brown
Kapanen

Rielly
Dermott
Gardiner

Andersen

Either way we are going to lose a good player this time around most likely, Andreas Johnsson will also have to be protected.
Way too early to tell. Could be someone not even on the roster right now. Could be that we want them to take one of those players listed.
It could be 3 years down the road.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Depends on what protection format we go with. Obvious protections up front are Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and probably Kadri. So if you want to protect your 4th D you're looking at losing 1 of Brown, Kapanen or Hyman. Rielly and Dermott are easy protections on the back end. Gardiner too if we resign him(I'm more for that than others here are). Then there's Zaitsev and acquired D. Based on what I've read here some people want Zaitsev gone so they'd be down for that but I think he plays better and that changes down the road, need I remind you there were a handful of bad opinions suggesting we should put Andersen on waivers October his first year here. But anyway I think we'll probably go 7/3/1 and lose a Zaitsev maybe, but if we end up with 4 D we want to keep then we lose a Kap/Brown/Hyman type of player.

But there's still quite a bit of time to go and things will definitely change before then.

The format is extremely flawed. If the new expansion team get 30 Zaitsev type players they will again be better than most NHL teams. Gone from not giving up enough to giving up too much to the new teams.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Martin hasn't dressed for us in well over a month because he's done as a Leaf. Leipsic still has some value as a 23 year old with upside. it's bad asset management
Yeah but you can't compare the now to the then. Martin was perceived and signed as a 4th line staple with a role to play that Leipsic simply can't do. In hindsight it would have been tough to decide without knowing the future but I would have made the same decision they did at the time. My personal opinion on Leipsic is that he doesn't have much upside anyway. I guess my point is that it's tough to call that a "dumb" decision using current knowledge, but losing Leipsic isn't something to fret over. Other teams lost MUCH worse.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Wow...if that's the case...that's terrible. Obviously the new team coming in would see Vegas and want the same, but I think the rest of the league wouldn't. Expansion teams are supposed to build up over time with draft picks and assets, not be given top players from teams because of silly crippling protection lists.
Vegas happened because some franchises were incompetent. Panthers were not forced to hand Vegas two-thirds of a top line, they did so because they'd rather have a mediocre player with size.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yeah but you can't compare the now to the then. Martin was perceived and signed as a 4th line staple with a role to play that Leipsic simply can't do. In hindsight it would have been tough to decide without knowing the future but I would have made the same decision they did at the time. My personal opinion on Leipsic is that he doesn't have much upside anyway. I guess my point is that it's tough to call that a "dumb" decision using current knowledge, but losing Leipsic isn't something to fret over. Other teams lost MUCH worse.

Bang on. Not a huge deal either way but this sums it up perfectly IMHO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad