Who are we going to lose to the next expansion draft?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The whole LV expansion is a disgrace. Get an expansion team and become the best team. Why build? It is a joke.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Just pay Seattle to stay away from the guys you want to keep.

Isles paid a 1st round pick for the Knights to stay away from Bailey, Nelson, Strome etc. plus swayed the Knights into taking Grabo.

Just pay the Seattle franchise a 1st to stay away from guys likely to be Liljegren, Grundstrom, Johnsson etc.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I don’t see Vegas as some perennial contender. They are getting incredible value from some players who were supposed to be scrubs. These players will need new contracts, and Vegas will have to 1) pay them according to their 2018 performance, thus losing their cap advantage, and 2) hope they continue to play over their heads.

Meaning they won’t have the same advantage next season.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I haven't looked into the Seattle thing too much yet. When would they be joining the league given the current circumstances? '19-'20 season?

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
No worries about it because who knows who might be traded before then. Would expect probably be draft pick going to Seattle's way to choose certain player.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I haven't looked into the Seattle thing too much yet. When would they be joining the league given the current circumstances? '19-'20 season?
'20/'21 would be their first official season, with them participating in their first Draft following the '19/'20 season. It's expected that the team will be announced next June, based on the timing of the Vegas season ticket drive and official team announcement.
has to be, he has a nmc
Marleau's contract expires after the '19/'20 season, and I don't believe will need to be protected, though I may be mistaken.

Edit: The rules of the Vegas Expansion Draft dictate that "All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits)."

The first big takeaway from that is that if a player with a NMC agrees to waive their NMC, they can be left unprotected.
The second takeaway for me is the terminology used - "... currently effective and continuing..." - Does "continuing" mean "continuing into the next season," or "continuing beyond the date of the Expansion Draft"? If it's the former, then Marleau would be exempt from protection, as his contract (and therefore his NMC) are expired. If it's the latter, we would need to protect him if he's still on our roster.

Having said all of that, Marleau's contract doesn't seem to be structured in such a way that he'll be a Leaf after July 1st, 2019, so this whole thing may be a non-issue in a couple years' time.

Last edited:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Marleau will be exposed as he will vaive his NMC as he has no interest in playing his last year for 1.25M for the season.

His cap hit is over 6m helping them to reach the cap floor.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
The whole LV expansion is a disgrace. Get an expansion team and become the best team. Why build? It is a joke.

Why is it a joke?

They should be a lottery team...but those guys are coached extremely well, and the team has amazing cohesion. I love it.

All of those players that we are surprised about were underutilized by their teams.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
why? who cares both are non factors, we kept the one we signed as a UFA. Leipsic didn't have a spot on our team and still wouldn't, imagine have to worry about Leipsic as well when wondering how we fit Johnsson on this team. Leipsic at absolute best would be worth a 4th so we lost a 4th

If the Leafs have to retain to trade Martin this offseason it won’t look great. Agreed that Leipsic wouldn’t have a chance to make the team, but in retrospect getting rid of Martin could have been a wiser option.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Marleau will be exposed as he will vaive his NMC as he has no interest in playing his last year for 1.25M for the season.

He still plays out the last year of his contract prior to being able to actually join/play for the Seattle team. If he has no interest in playing his last season, he'd retire and we'd be stuck with his cap hit. Likeliest scenario that I can see at this point is that we trade him after July 1st, 2019, to a team that can absorb his cap hit better than we can.

Lots of time between now and then, though.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

the bolded in the most incorrect thing i've ever read. why would he waive his nmc to leave a team that is trying to win the cup. also just because he has no interest in playing for 1.25 million, doesn't mean he will waive it. terrible logic.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
The first big takeaway from that is that if a player with a NMC agrees to waive their NMC, they can be left unprotected.
The second takeaway for me is the terminology used - "... currently effective and continuing..." - Does "continuing" mean "continuing into the next season," or "continuing beyond the date of the Expansion Draft"? If it's the former, then Marleau would be exempt from protection, as his contract (and therefore his NMC) are expired. If it's the latter, we would need to protect him if he's still on our roster.

The NMC/NTC had to continue to the next season. Players whose contract or NMC/NTC clause were expiring on July 1st did not need to be protected for the Vegas draft. So Marleau would not need to protected.

Reactions: Mork and IBeL13f

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
The NMC/NTC had to continue to the next season. Players whose contract or NMC/NTC clause were expiring on July 1st did not need to be protected for the Vegas draft. So Marleau would not need to protected.
Thanks! Were there any notable examples of this during this past Expansion Draft (that we know of) that corroborate that? Not that I don't believe you or anything, just curious.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The arena won’t be ready until 2020-2021. Marleau will be off the books. He is signed to 2019-2020

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
we are going to lose one of hyman/brown/johnsson/leivo/bracco most likely

as long as we still have all of the above which dunno about that yet

we may be forced to burn our first in order to make sure we don't lose someone good

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
The arena won’t be ready until 2020-2021. Marleau will be off the books. He is signed to 2019-2020
UFAs whose contracts didn't expire until July 1st of this year were still available to Vegas to select, were they not? Theoretically, Seattle will still be able to select Marleau, but we don't need to protect him simply based on his NMC.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Understand that any big name free agent we sign in the summer. Will also need to be protected.

So their is that to consider when hunting for a big free agent signing.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If the Leafs have to retain to trade Martin this offseason it won’t look great. Agreed that Leipsic wouldn’t have a chance to make the team, but in retrospect getting rid of Martin could have been a wiser option.

eh, at that level of player even if we retain 50% of martins contract its still only $1.25M doesn't help us obviously but wont cripple us. Martin right or wrongly played 47 games this year, leipsic would be luck to have played as many as leivo. Very likely Leipsic would have been on waivers really

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
UFAs whose contracts didn't expire until July 1st of this year were still available to Vegas to select, were they not? Theoretically, Seattle will still be able to select Marleau, but we don't need to protect him simply based on his NMC.

if I remember correctly you didn't have to protect UFA's in your list, I think you could but didn't have to. And vegas got the chance to speak to them longer

Reactions: IBeL13f

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
if I remember correctly you didn't have to protect UFA's in your list, I think you could but didn't have to. And vegas got the chance to speak to them longer
Exactly - They didn't have to be protected, but could be. Marleau falls under that strange transition window, but would likely be neither protected nor selected (if he hasn't even retired by that point).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad