Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Can’t wait for Zadorov to crush Edmonton’s forwards on a regular basis.
Our forwards are no slouches. The Oilers are a much more physical team than the Canucks, especially in the playoffs when guys like Kane have ratcheted things up.

The Oilers feasted on guys like Zadorov for a long time, and even Zadorov himself when he was a Flame. Just a great candidate to farm PPs off of

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Its true, i just had to re watch all 4 regular season matchups against the oilers to remind myself how bad they are defensively. No defensive system can fix defensive liabilities like Drai, Nurse, Ceci and Bouchard
Before we changed the coach and overhauled the entire system?

Put your faith in that if you want to I guess.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Calling a Oiler sweep Canucks offence looks putrid
Not sure about a sweep but the Canuck offense in non existent.

I read the Canucks swept the regular season but, having watched both playoff series, I can't see Vancouver winning this. Have said that, I predicted Nashville would take out Vancouver so...

Edmonton in 6

Reactions: CycloneSweep

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
The idea that Vancouver is playing with house money isn't true as they were one of the most aggressive teams and selling their future at the deadline

They might have exceeded expectations, but mainly because they underperformed previous seasons. You don't just go trading 1st round picks for rentals to get playoff experience - what happens when you're ready? You got no farm and no picks.

Vancouver's core isn't a young core that's on their ELC. Their core is even older than Edmonton's. They were going for it this year.
Selling our futures wtf? We traded a 1st a b prospect , a cap dump and a d prospect, while keeping all of our best prospects in Raty, Podz, Willander, Lekkerimakki, Silovs, etc.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think the Canucks are in tough here, without Demko its going to be hard. Arturs has been fantastic but I almost feel like DeSmith's style is a little better against EDM, both are probably better than Skinner but not the massive gulf the Canucks had/need with Demko.

The big concern is special teams, Oilers PP is possibly the best in NHL history (and Draisaitl has turned drawing calls into an art-form), while the Canucks special team is very iffy. PK was great this series but so-so in the season. PP has the talent to be top 5 but has struggled this post-season+2nd half of the season.

The advantage for Vancouver is team defense + possibly confidence (? given the regular season record). I also think the intensity Vancouver faced against Nashville is something EDM didn't have to face against LA, so they are battled tested & ready to fight for every inch.

But then again every series is a reset so we will see. Happy to get here without Demko. Series should be a ton of fun & I'm sure the internet discourse will be very respectful.
I think the bolded is just kind of false. LA has an endless motor and were very physical in the series. They just lack talent much like Nashville who has very little talent on their team.

2for1PizzaPastuh

Jan 13, 2023
Edmonton in 5, easily. Vancouver's offence has disappeared and their defense is nowhere near the level it needs to be to contain McDrai.

Reactions: Kerberos

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
That won’t be an issue.

Funny seeing Oilers fans talking a big game about a team that got owned all season against Vancouver.
Regular season is different than playoff hockey, see the Jets and Avs.

The Oilers PP is very hot right now, one thing is that McDavid probably did not play at 100% because he did not need to.

If McDavid plays at 100%, it's over.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I more meant on the forecheck, not in our own zone. Thats where Nashville got him quite a few times. The more log jams you can create on the boards the more he's going to get beat up.
Oilers should definitely do this... it would be great for the Canucks. Oilers goaltending, D and defensive play is nowhere on the level as the Preds, they could take those shots because of the team defensive play and having a top tier goalie. I'm sure McDavid will not enjoy playing against the Canucks big, gritty and hard hitting D.

• Haha
Reactions: Higgens

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
You keep calling Edmonton a poor defensive team but that’s objectively and statistically untrue.
You can keep saying nonsense, doesn’t make it true.
Are the 4 games we played this season not objective and statistical?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

The Oilers PP is very hot right now, one thing is that McDavid probably did not play at 100% because he did not need to.

Meh. It hasn’t been over when he played at 100% the last few seasons and the Oilers got bounced out of the playoffs. He will need a lot of help.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I think the bolded is just kind of false. LA has an endless motor and were very physical in the series. They just lack talent much like Nashville who has very little talent on their team.

I watched 4/5 games, I don't think LA did as good a job defending as Nashville did.

Edmonton is a faster team than Vancouver which factors in it but LA kinda lost their identity while Nashville made everything a life & death battle. Fronting every shot, taking away the crease on every possession, phenomenal goaltending in the big moments. Nashville was more of an offensive team in the regular season but I think they were better defensively in the playoffs than LA.

I guess we'll see who's right/wrong (new series are also a total reset), but Nashville was much more impressive as a unit than LA imo.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

You keep refering to jets vs. Avs. Avs have a championship pedigree and winning culture that Edmonton lacks. Why you think Oilers still havent gone to finals? Avs can turn it on at will, Oilers arent even in the same stratosphere as Avs or Knights

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think the Canucks are in tough here, without Demko its going to be hard. Arturs has been fantastic but I almost feel like DeSmith's style is a little better against EDM, both are probably better than Skinner but not the massive gulf the Canucks had/need with Demko.

The big concern is special teams, Oilers PP is possibly the best in NHL history (and Draisaitl has turned drawing calls into an art-form), while the Canucks special team is very iffy. PK was great this series but so-so in the season. PP has the talent to be top 5 but has struggled this post-season+2nd half of the season.

The advantage for Vancouver is team defense + possibly confidence (? given the regular season record). I also think the intensity Vancouver faced against Nashville is something EDM didn't have to face against LA, so they are battled tested & ready to fight for every inch.

But then again every series is a reset so we will see. Happy to get here without Demko. Series should be a ton of fun & I'm sure the internet discourse will be very respectful.
Nashville laid 167 hits, average of 28 hits a game.
LA laid 212 hits, average of 42 a game.
Edmonton had an intensely physical series.

Reactions: Dieseloil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad