Who are we going to lose to the next expansion draft?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
18-19
19-20
20-21

So all players will be 3 year older to start the season that year.

That is quite a long time in player age.

Obviously, you want to keep your best young players and we don't know who that will be in 3 years.
First & Second Year Pros

All players who have accrued two or less professional seasons at the end of the 2016-17 season, as well as all unsigned draft choices appearing on the teams reserve list, will be exempt from the upcoming expansion draft.

So just change the dates below to 20-21
https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft-faq[/TH][/TR]
Position#Criteria
Forwards2
  • under contract in 2017-18, AND
  • played in 40 or more NHL games last season, OR
  • played in 70 or more NHL games in the last two seasons
Defense1
  • under contract in 2017-18, AND
  • played in 40 or more NHL games last season, OR
  • played in 70 or more NHL games in the last two seasons
Goalies1
  • under contract in 2017-18, OR
  • who’s contract is expiring & is an RFA in 2017-18
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

NHL Expansion Rules and FAQ -
  • Professional seasons are expected to only count while a player is under an NHL SPC. A player like Artemi Panarin for instance, who played several “professional seasons” in the KHL prior to signing with the Chicago Blackhawks for the 2015-16 season, is expected to still be exempt from the Expansion Draft. This is because his seasons in the KHL were played before he signed an NHL SPC, so his first “professional season” for purposes of expansion is considered the 2015-16 season.

• Furthermore, players who play professional games in the AHL or other professional leagues in a year where their contract slides are not expected to have those years count as “professional seasons” for purposes of expansion. This is because the player is 18/19 in the years that his contract slides, so only 10 or more NHL games would be considered a professional season.

My thoughts:
Grundstrum signed in 2017 and turned 20 in December 2017. Capfriendly does not show his contract sliding, and so he may have 3 years pro experience for this draft. Liljegren is sliding this year, so he would have 2 years pro experience and be exempt.

Unsigned players include the drafted Russians, if they signed this year would fall into the Panarin category and be exempt.

Now here is where it gets interesting, there are players on the Marlies who are unknown's when it comes to NHL experience and performance.
All players 28+ and older this year will be 30+ that year and that isn't prime age.
Any player, not prospect, traded for in the next 2 years will likely need protection. Or signed like Tavares or Doughty.
Leafs have no NMC in effect that would come into play.

Obvious protected players (to me):
  • Forwards: Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kapanen
  • Defense: Rielly, Dermott

Exempt: Liljegren 2 year pro

Options ordered by age ASC:
  • Forwards: Grundstrom, Bracco, Johnsson, Brown, Hyman, Tradedfor Player, Kadri
  • Defense: Borgman, Zaitsev, Tradefor Player, Gardiner if re-signed

I'm thinking of 2 years from now not now where it would be easy to fill in the protected player list. After the next 2 years we may have some Marlies or non-Sliding Pros break out into top 6 forwards.

Protected List Speculation:
  • Forwards: Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kapanen, Tradedfor, Kadri, Grundstrom
  • Defense: Rielly, Dermott, Tradedfor
  • Goalie: Andersen

Reactions: Keon1963

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
the bolded in the most incorrect thing i've ever read. why would he waive his nmc to leave a team that is trying to win the cup. also just because he has no interest in playing for 1.25 million, doesn't mean he will waive it. terrible logic.
Then you really lack any hockey knowledge at all if you think he has any intention of playing for 1.25M for the season.

My logic is going to prove true and I can not help you if you really have not paid attention to just what happens on this types of deals.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Then you really lack any hockey knowledge at all if you think he has any intention of playing for 1.25M for the season.

My logic is going to prove true and I can not help you if you really have not paid attention to just what happens on this types of deals.
he's still gonna get paid the 1.25 million regardless so why the hell would he waive it to go to a different team to do it?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
he's still gonna get paid the 1.25 million regardless so why the hell would he waive it to go to a different team to do it?
No he is not going to get the 1.25M as he is going to retire and his whole cap hit will be on the books. So we will trade his contract to a team so that they can use it to get to the floor.

He gets his bonus on July 1st and his remaining salary is 1.25M and he has no intention of playing hence the way the contract was written with most of the money in bonuses and not salary.

Reactions: Keon1963

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad