Who are we going to lose to the next expansion draft?

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
7 forwards, 3 defenseman, 1 goaltender will be protected. Last year we got kind of lucky not having to protect any of Marner, Nylander or Matthews but if the draft was to happen for the 20-21 seaosn all three will have to be protected.

Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Kadri
Hyman
Brown
Kapanen

Rielly
Dermott
Gardiner

Andersen

Either way we are going to lose a good player this time around most likely, Andreas Johnsson will also have to be protected.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Well when is it? I don’t think they are going to beon the ice in 2 yrs

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
7 forwards, 3 defenseman, 1 goaltender will be protected. Last year we got kind of lucky not having to protect any of Marner, Nylander or Matthews but if the draft was to happen this off-season I think all three will have to be protected. I believe Marleau might have to be protected since he has a NTC.

Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Kadri
Hyman
Brown
Marleau

Rielly
Dermott
Gardiner

Andersen

Sub in Kapanen for Hyman maybe. Either way we are going to lose a good player this time around most likely, Andreas Johnsson will also have to be protected.

Matthews
marner
nylander
marleau
kapanen
johnsson
kadri

rielly
dermott
liljegren
(gardiner will probably be traded or we will give up picks to keep him

anderson

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
AHL counts as pro experience I'm pretty sure; staying with the Marlies won't save him.

AHL experience post age 20, I think. Or else Nylander would have been eligible for the last expansion draft.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yeah you're right it wouldn't happen til 2020-21 my bad.

Ok so the expansion draft would be at the end of the 2019-2020 season?

So just keep Lilly down for 1 year and we are fine. Might lose like a Johnson. If kappy isn’t a mainstay by then he deserves a shot somewhere else.

Rielly. XXXXX dermott. Expose Zaitsev.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Expansion in 2020-21 (assuming no other players emerge):

7 Forwards:
Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Kadri
Kapanen
Brown
UFA Veteran Forward

3 Defensemen:
Rielly
Dermott
Liljegren

1 Goaltender:
Andersen

So maybe someone like Borgman, Johnsson, Aaltonen, Sparks if these players are still around.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Zaitsev, offer him up. Never-mind, I didn't realize we gave him an NTC??!?!?! WHAAAAT!

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Nobody knows if the rules will be the same. The expansion draft rules for Vegas were silly. No way should an expansion team be given what Vegas was. Sure they made some deals relating to the expansion draft, but the next expansion team should not be handed the same type of team as Vegas was. Complete joke!

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Ok so the expansion draft would be at the end of the 2019-2020 season?

So just keep Lilly down for 1 year and we are fine. Might lose like a Johnson. If kappy isn’t a mainstay by then he deserves a shot somewhere else.

Rielly. XXXXX dermott. Expose Zaitsev.

You’d still have to protect Lilly I think because he’d be third year pro by then doesn’t matter if it’s AHL or NHL.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
You’d still have to protect Lilly I think because he’d be third year pro by then doesn’t matter if it’s AHL or NHL.

I don’t think so. He isn’t a pro yet. It sdoesnt count as he still junior elegible. It’s plus 20 if not in the nhl

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Nobody knows if the rules will be the same. The expansion draft rules for Vegas were silly. No way should an expansion team be given what Vegas was. Sure they made some deals relating to the expansion draft, but the next expansion team should not be handed the same type of team as Vegas was. Complete joke!
Pretty sure bettman just said Seattle will get the same rules .

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
i don't envision gardiner being on this past next season so i'd have lillegren ahead of him

Reactions: Walshy7

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Pretty sure bettman just said Seattle will get the same rules .
Wow...if that's the case...that's terrible. Obviously the new team coming in would see Vegas and want the same, but I think the rest of the league wouldn't. Expansion teams are supposed to build up over time with draft picks and assets, not be given top players from teams because of silly crippling protection lists.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Want to get my story straight here, but I think I recall that NTCs were eligible for exposure but NMCs were not. If I am correct then definitely expose Zaitsev.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Gardiner, Brown, Hymen, Zaitsev, (if he was willing with a pick). I dunno. Id hate to lose a good young player we developed. That's the downfall with the expansion draft and them being close together sorta. If ur a rebuilding team and wanna get rid of players its a benefit. For contenders its a pain.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Wow...if that's the case...that's terrible. Obviously the new team coming in would see Vegas and want the same, but I think the rest of the league wouldn't. Expansion teams are supposed to build up over time with draft picks and assets, not be given top players from teams because of silly crippling protection lists.

when you pay the amount Vegas and Seattle paid yeah - you're gonna be a bit more generous with that they are offered.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
lol at top players. just because they're doing well doesn't mean they have top players on the team. for the most part they got teams extras

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Depends on what protection format we go with. Obvious protections up front are Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and probably Kadri. So if you want to protect your 4th D you're looking at losing 1 of Brown, Kapanen or Hyman. Rielly and Dermott are easy protections on the back end. Gardiner too if we resign him(I'm more for that than others here are). Then there's Zaitsev and acquired D. Based on what I've read here some people want Zaitsev gone so they'd be down for that but I think he plays better and that changes down the road, need I remind you there were a handful of bad opinions suggesting we should put Andersen on waivers October his first year here. But anyway I think we'll probably go 7/3/1 and lose a Zaitsev maybe, but if we end up with 4 D we want to keep then we lose a Kap/Brown/Hyman type of player.

But there's still quite a bit of time to go and things will definitely change before then.

Reactions: Raymoondo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad