Who are we going to lose to the next expansion draft?

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Wow...if that's the case...that's terrible. Obviously the new team coming in would see Vegas and want the same, but I think the rest of the league wouldn't. Expansion teams are supposed to build up over time with draft picks and assets, not be given top players from teams because of silly crippling protection lists.

Also shitty this couldn't have happened 10 years ago when we had nothing worth protecting anyways. Two expansion drafts likely within 5 years of each other when we are finally competitive and have an abundance of assets.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Hope Bringer

Jan 6, 2010
Also ****ty this couldn't have happened 10 years ago when we had nothing worth protecting anyways. Two expansion drafts likely within 5 years of each other when we are finally competitive and have an abundance of assets.

Well, we lucked out the first time, so it would really only be 1 ***ty expansion draft we have to sweat through.

But, I'll say Brown. Would suck, but they will still be okay without him. That's assuming our team doesn't see some changes over the next few years, which is also unlikely

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Depending on the rules of the next expansion draft and the state of the Leafs roster I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Leafs GM at the time trade a pick or two to have the expansion GM take an older Marlies player. I’m not too worried

Reactions: Keon1963

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
After seeing Vegas this season, Expansion drafts can go **** themselves.

Vegas literally agreed to take other team's crap.

This isn't the norm. Their success is against all the odds - I would not expect Seattle to be in the same boat as Vegas.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
My opinion may not be popular, but I think Brown can be exposed and we will be just fine. Johnsson can do what he does and provide much more offence

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Still far away enough to not be sure whether we go 7-3-1 or 8 skaters-1 goalie. I think we could be one of those teams that offers Seattle a side deal to avoid a player we'd rather not lose but can't protect due to the rules.

Unfortunately, it probably won't be like it was this time around for us again, but hopefully we'll come out of it not hit too hard.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
It sucks because Leafs have a quality cupboard. But that can be a blessing as well.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
You can only lose 1 player. It’s not going to be one of the big 3. Kadri. Rielly or Andersen. Some would suck but it’s not the end of the world

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008
Matthews
Nylander
Marner
Kadri
Reilly
Zaitzev
Dermott
Lilligren
Andersen

Which leaves exposed Marleau, Hymen, Brown, Kapanen, Bracco, Nielsen, Timasov, maybe Grunstrom/Korskov and depending when it's held prospects from the 18 draft.

Also we.may have to protect Horton as well depending when this takes place.

A deal needs to be made. Pick or maybe offer Kadri up to be selected? We have some good talent left exposed. Can't be an option to let Seattle pick whomever they want

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Wow...if that's the case...that's terrible. Obviously the new team coming in would see Vegas and want the same, but I think the rest of the league wouldn't. Expansion teams are supposed to build up over time with draft picks and assets, not be given top players from teams because of silly crippling protection lists.

Im not sure what Vegas is doing is repeatable.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
After seeing Vegas this season, Expansion drafts can go **** themselves.

Why? Because the league did it right for the first time? Or would people prefer it if they were just handed every other team's junk players, and be stuck drafting in the top 4 for about 6 seasons straight? The best players they could pick would be no higher than 2nd line, 2nd pairing, and 2nd string. They lucked out with Fleury, which is fine by me. Pittsburgh is stacked enough as it is. But their leading scorer is a 27 year old who played in a whopping 124 games over 4 previous seasons. Two of those seasons, he only played 2 games. He's making a whopping $750k this season (not including any bonuses).

Either Vegas got lucky, or the people they had picking the players knew what they were doing. They have a lot of veteran guys who get their shot now to be the top players on their team, and they're making the most of it.

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
7 forwards, 3 defenseman, 1 goaltender will be protected. Last year we got kind of lucky not having to protect any of Marner, Nylander or Matthews but if the draft was to happen for the 20-21 seaosn all three will have to be protected.

Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Kadri
Hyman
Brown
Kapanen

Rielly
Dermott
Gardiner

Andersen

Either way we are going to lose a good player this time around most likely, Andreas Johnsson will also have to be protected.

Gardiner is a UFA after next year. not sure the leafs will be willing to sign him for 5mil+ long term.
my guess would be one of Brown,Kapanen and Johnsson. basically whichever of those has no shot at a top 6 role at the point

Reactions: Keon1963

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

this is a one off. vegas should have still been terrible with that roster but somehow made it work.
not sure i'd say a teams 8th best forward or #4dman are "top" players, especially when teams with good #4dmen went the 8 skaters or trade route.

Vegas is good because columbus made a trade to protect the wrong guys (losing a guy thats gonna get 40g/75pts)
and Florida gifted them Marchessault AND Reilly. Nashville for some reason decided Jankrok was more valuable than Neal, ditto Boston that protected the wrong miller. washington gambled and lost that vegas would taker their backup tender, and not the dman who now has 30pts and is a +21

member 147413

Let’s wait and see what happens, things change quickly in this league.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Nobody knows if the rules will be the same. The expansion draft rules for Vegas were silly. No way should an expansion team be given what Vegas was. Sure they made some deals relating to the expansion draft, but the next expansion team should not be handed the same type of team as Vegas was. Complete joke!

What do you think they should have got for their $500 million? The #13 forward or #7 dman from each team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad