Who are we going to lose to the next expansion draft?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The full affect of LV becoming the best team in the NHL the first year hasn't quite sunk in yet. There are teams who were forced to lose guys that ended up costing them the playoffs. The net win for that franchise is zero. One team lost its spot. To me it says the system is flawed. I love the idea of Seattle entering the NHL and it is long overdue. But if Seattle gets a top team as well right away the GM's will be howling at the moon. The system is flawed whether they got a bunch of pending UFA's or not. Teams should demand to protect more players. Many teams have 8 key players, so having a good roster means you are more likely to lose players. Getting an expansion team is better than taking over a current team having financial issues i.e Ottawa. As Vegas rose some team is now in trouble. Edmonton tanked for years and their fans paid for it. They even have Connor McDavid, they should have asked for an expansion team instead.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Would Chris Pronger apply? Just throwing it out there.

His contract with NMC ended 2016/2017
He was on LTIR I believe, and would've been exempt (same as Horton) - Doesn't look like he was protected or made available.

As per the link posted by biotk above(thanks for that), players with NMCs on expiring contracts to not need to be protected.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
He was on LTIR I believe, and would've been exempt (same as Horton) - Doesn't look like he was protected or made available.

As per the link posted by biotk above(thanks for that), players with NMCs on expiring contracts to not need to be protected.
Kris Versteeg had a one year deal with the Flames that was set to expire the year of expansion draft, he had a modified NTC. Calgary didn't protect him. Is that a better example?

Reactions: IBeL13f

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Kris Versteeg had a one year deal with the Flames that was set to expire the year of expansion draft, he had a modified NTC. Calgary didn't protect him. Is that a better example?
Yeah, I think so - The only thing that would separate that example would be that it was a modified No-Trade Clause, rather than a No-Movement Clause. Regardless, doesn't seem like this will be something we need to concern ourselves with.

Reactions: MattySnipes

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Exactly - They didn't have to be protected, but could be. Marleau falls under that strange transition window, but would likely be neither protected nor selected (if he hasn't even retired by that point).

and speculation is his contract is deliberately set up for him to be traded in the 3rd year. He gets majority of his salary in bonuses each year but that last year he gets $3M bonus but $1.25 salaray so after july 1 he gets his $3M we could trade him, could retain 50% even.

Reactions: IBeL13f

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
and speculation is his contract is deliberately set up for him to be traded in the 3rd year. He gets majority of his salary in bonuses each year but that last year he gets $3M bonus but $1.25 salaray so after july 1 he gets his $3M we could trade him, could retain 50% even.
Yeah, I'll be really surprised if he plays out that last season with us. My expectation is that he's traded after July 1st, 2019.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The format is extremely flawed. If the new expansion team get 30 Zaitsev type players they will again be better than most NHL teams. Gone from not giving up enough to giving up too much to the new teams.

There won't be 30 Zaitsev type of players available though. They'll maybe get 10 Zaitsev/Brown/Kapanen types, 10 Carrick/Moore types, 5 Polaks, and 5 throwaways. Maybe it's just me but a team like that shouldn't be in competition for the playoffs, especially if they trade for picks to take lesser players. I think Vegas was a bit of a one off. They made some shrewd decisions on getting undervalued players that teams perhaps should have valued more(Looking at your Florida) and it's almost clicked to perfection. Maybe it's too much, but using Vegas as the example would be misguided IMO, it won't work out this perfectly next time.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I am still saying, let the teams protect 1 more player and/or each team can only lose one. Teams that have a stacked lineup are obviously targets for talent. How about this? If you made the playoffs you can only lose 1 player or have 1 more to protect? Afterall, if your team sucks who cares about losing 2 players. Talk about incentive not to tank! Also, bottom five should all be equally ranked in the lottery(The Edmonton rule).

Last edited:

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
No, I am being stupid. I thought it was 2. But teams that make the playoffs should get one more player they can protect. Good teams shouldn't pay for being good. Call it incentive not to tank. I can't believe everyone(all the GM's and owners) will be happy if Las Vegas wins the cup but whatever. The Leafs will lose something significant to Seattle this time. We dodged the bullet because of where we were age wise in our build last time. Leipsic was a knick. Losing a Kapanen and watching him score the OT game 7 playoff goal as your team misses the playoffs entirely isn't.

In other words some team gave up one guy to Vegas this year and it could (Ana, St L or Colombus?) cost them a playoff spot. Another question I have is.... if Ottawa fold$$$, high likely given owner and attendance, where are they going to ?

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Why would Marleau be traded? It was a big deal when he uprooted his family to change schools from San Jose to Toronto.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
keep liljegren in the marlies for 3 more years? that's crazy. You protect a potential elite RH dman and you let a Connor Brown type go, Brown is a great story but he is a dime a dozen type player. Every team has there own brown. I say brown because if given a choice id imagine babcock would keep hyman

Pretty sure you can only protect 3 Dman (Rielly, Dermott, Gardiner/Zaitsev)

And besides the earliest he even makes the team would be 2019-20 and even that's a huge longshot (Lilly is competing in the AHL and isn't exactly dominating the league yet. In a year or two when he is playing on the top line,driving the play will Toronto look at him as NHL player)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Pretty sure you can only protect 3 Dman (Rielly, Dermott, Gardiner/Zaitsev)

And besides the earliest he even makes the team would be 2019-20 and even that's a huge longshot (Lilly is competing in the AHL and isn't exactly dominating the league yet. In a year or two when he is playing on the top line,driving the play will Toronto look at him as NHL player)

no oyu could also do 4 dman and 4 forwards which would then add more trouble to our forward core of course. Liljegren was the highest scoring dman under 23 or something like that earlier this year injuries set him back a bit but he was playing at an unprecedented pace earlier this season for quite a while too. Liljegren is not more than 2 seasons away in any case

Mintoregano

Oct 4, 2017
It seems to me like most people here are assuming our team in two years will be the same as now with this years ufas replaced by a couple of our prospects. I would hope that this isnt the case and i have no doubt that there will be one, if not two high profile additions to our team whether it be a trade or ufa signing. Taking that into account i think we should consider ourselves lucky if we are able to get past the next expansion draft by only losing a first and a borderline roster player

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Pretty sure bettman just said Seattle will get the same rules .

That's the plan as of today. Teams coming in will use Vegas as the starting point. You want $650 sheets, you gotta give them a chance to build a decent team. Vegas is unique because of a number of factors, but future expansion teams should be in the mix for the playoffs if they draft right.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Jesus, Zaitsev was a rock last year and playing decently up until his injury. He gets hurt and also has to play with Jake Gardiner and now all of a sudden he is trash and we should expose him in an expansion draft?

Come On Man!

Gardiner while he is a Gem offensively can have some real boneheaded plays. I've seen plenty of times Zaitsev call for the safe pass back and Gardiner flings it into the middle of the ice. Picked off and then bam back of the net. He is also cost controlled for the next 6 at 4.5 which is a steal for a top 4.

Hopefully Lilijgren cracks our top 4 by then but I would rather offer another pick or prospect to hold on to him right now. Obviously that may change if other projects start to impress.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Specifically, but not officially I think Anaheim may feel the burn. They had to fire off Theodore , Karlsson from Colombus and would it save them ST.L with Perron? They haven't missed yet but.....

PS : And where does Ottawa move to if......

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->