Confirmed with Link: Wennberg (50% retained) to NYR For a 2nd ('24) and 4th ('25)

Are you happy with the trade

• Very happy with the trade!

Votes: 33 13.7%
  • It's decent, i'm good with it

Votes: 155 64.3%
  • Meh, not the biggest fan

Votes: 46 19.1%
  • Very unhappy with the trade!

Votes: 7 2.9%

• Total voters

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Sykora is looking pretty good too.
I’m hopeful as per Sykora.
Where in the 2nd over the past 12 years did we get these three guys though? I’m thinking last third of the round doesn’t produce all that much.

Reactions: Kendo

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Wennberg was an addition to improve 5v5 play. lineup is much deeper with him. Tons of ammo left to make a deal or 2

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I mean of the ways this deadline could've (still could I suppose) gone this isn't the worst.

Options were:

A) Wow that was a huge swing - then it misses
B) Ehhh underwhelmed
C) Wow... nothing. That doesn't bode well
D) OMFG WHAT DID DRURY f***ING DOOOOOOOOOOOO?!?!?!?!!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

This is easily OK comparatively.

Reactions: Larrybiv and Kendo

Hockeyplayer99

Jul 31, 2005
Better than giving up a 1st for Henrique, but still...not a huge fan of this move.
Edmonton seemed to get a few pieces for just the first round pick. Don't know much about the goalie they got, but Carrick and Henrique for a first isn't to terrible. Plus Henrique is 75% retained. We gave up a second and 4th for Wennberg, should of just gave the 3rd and 4th for Tarasenko who is better than Wennberg. Wennberg was worth less considering what other players went for.

View attachment 830630

Good fit. You gotta give to get, especially when you have a team retaining.

I didnt want to go as high as a 2nd, but i think they identified a player they wanted and needed to pull the trigger. Hes really a replacement for Chytil. They didnt give up a prospect either.

Center market is pretty bare. I think its a good move and the deficiencies Wennberg has will be covered up by utilizing other players in that role

Doesnt Shoot - May help set up Kakko
Doesn't Hit - Cuylle can get in on that line as F1, but Lav we'll need him to bump in the playoffs
Sucks at the PK - Shouldnt be used there, but good to have a backup
Sucks at faceoffs - Trocheck and Goodrow will be out there for the important ones anyway.

His pros outweigh his cons. He can skate. Good IQ. Experience. Manages the puck well. Significant upgrade over Brodz

I like the player and this is a good deal for both teams. This team needed depth so badly down the middle

Hockeyplayer99

Jul 31, 2005
View attachment 830630

Good fit. You gotta give to get, especially when you have a team retaining.

I didnt want to go as high as a 2nd, but i think they identified a player they wanted and needed to pull the trigger. Hes really a replacement for Chytil. They didnt give up a prospect either.

Center market is pretty bare. I think its a good move and the deficiencies Wennberg has will be covered up by utilizing other players in that role

Doesnt Shoot - May help set up Kakko
Doesn't Hit - Cuylle can get in on that line as F1, but Lav we'll need him to bump in the playoffs
Sucks at the PK - Shouldnt be used there, but good to have a backup
Sucks at faceoffs - Trocheck and Goodrow will be out there for the important ones anyway.

His pros outweigh his cons. He can skate. Good IQ. Experience. Manages the puck well. Significant upgrade over Brodz

I like the player and this is a good deal for both teams. This team needed depth so badly down the middle
How do the pros outweigh the cons pro is he can skate and IQ, manages puck.
Cons soft player which we don't need in playoffs since we will have a soft team with Rempe not playing. He doesn't shoot the puck, yes just what we need is another player who doesn't shoot.
Not good at the PK, not good on the PP either so he is just basically there. Not good at faceoffs, Something a Center should be decent at, not 46%. I see more negatives than positives with him

Reactions: WhereO Is Kakko

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Edmonton seemed to get a few pieces for just the first round pick. Don't know much about the goalie they got, but Carrick and Henrique for a first isn't to terrible. Plus Henrique is 75% retained. We gave up a second and 4th for Wennberg, should of just gave the 3rd and 4th for Tarasenko who is better than Wennberg. Wennberg was worth less considering what other players went for.
You are not factoring in that centers are worth more than wings and very few centers are available. Tarasenko also had a NTC and wanted to go to Florida. It's just not the same. The trade for Wennberg was a good value trade.

Reactions: bhamill

WhereO Is Kakko

Mar 24, 2022
Upgrades our 3rd line.
Thanks for the thread.

But this upgrade is a low bar to hop.

Unfortunately Drury got (way) outbid by EDM on Henrique so I guess this was “next best,” esp if you’re in the market for a Center.

But the cost on Tarasenko by the Panthers makes me wonder if that would have been a more productive hill for Dreary to fight on.

Reactions: CasusBelli

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
It can't just be, oh the Panthers got Tank for this so we overpaid. Tank is a wing. Wennberg a center. We needed a center far more. Tank used his NMC to go to Florida. These things matter and factor into price. Getting Tank doesn't get Brod off the 3rd line. It's a fair deal. If he is good, maybe a resign for 2 or 3 years at 2.5ish.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Sykora is looking pretty good too.
Love Syky Smiles! I really didn't want to lose any kids this deadline (although it's not over yet).

I feel like we can fit almost, if not all of them. One or two next season, one or two the season after that.

Back to Wennberg...
There are always going to be warts with a guy that you get for a 2nd, but there's a good fit here for both his strengths and weaknesses. Not a great FO guy, but has he met Michael Peca? He doesn't shoot (he'll fit right in LOL), but he distributes better than a lot of our guys. He looks like a plus skater and his defensive metrics look good, but he's never lived up to his early offense. The kicker is that if Chytil has any setbacks, Wennberg might be a "one-year prove it contract" candidate if he proves himself a fit and wants to stay.

I think it's a fit. A 3rd and then no retention seemed like fair value going into this, but it's understandable if it being in 2026 makes the return underwhelming. I would have been down with a 2nd for Wennberg + late pick (0% retained), basically "I only have a 20 on me, would you do 15 and give me $5 change?" As long as the cap savings from the retention actually does something for us, then the two late picks difference (we give one instead of get one) still pretty much lines right up with the original valuation from a week ago.

The price paid is waaay better than a 4th + Berard/Sykora/Edstrom/Garand/Fortescue. It's also better than a 2nd + Jones/Robertson. The first group are all worth more to us than a late-ass 2nd. It may be an unpopular opinion, but our pair of "underwhelming, but still young, but unfortunately eligible for waivers next season LD" are worth more to us than a random 4th as well.

Is "B+ move" too generous for day one?

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
It can't just be, oh the Panthers got Tank for this so we overpaid. Tank is a wing. Wennberg a center. We needed a center far more. Tank used his NMC to go to Florida. These things matter and factor into price. Getting Tank doesn't get Brod off the 3rd line. It's a fair deal. If he is good, maybe a resign for 2 or 3 years at 2.5ish.
These are good points. We all would have been happier if Drury somehow pulled this deal off with a 3rd instead of a 2nd. Done deal, let's get over it and move on.

Reactions: MrAlmost

WhereO Is Kakko

Mar 24, 2022
The pick will become a third-round selection if Dallas defenseman Nils Lundkvist, who was acquired from New York prior to last season, finishes with 55 combined points between last season and this season.
Funny. This sounds like the same conditions Nils was on the hook for in year 1. Now he gets TWO seasons to hit the “magic” number lol

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Thanks for the thread.

But this upgrade is a low bar to hop.

Unfortunately Drury got (way) outbid by EDM on Henrique so I guess this was “next best,” esp if you’re in the market for a Center.

But the cost on Tarasenko by the Panthers makes me wonder if that would have been a more productive hill for Dreary to fight on.
Doesn’t Tank have a full NMC? If so, I wouldn’t be surprised if he demanded Florida only, leaving Ottawa without any bargaining power and us out of the hunt.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Maybe in his CBJ days. But he’s regressing hugely w the Kraken.

I've watched him his whole career and that's definitely not the case. He's a consistent third line type producer who punches well above his weight defensively. Nothing has changed in that regard.

The whole bit I'm seeing here about Wennberg being bad on the PK is also wrong. That's just short sample size variation getting into player cards that people take way too seriously here. Wennberg has been a PK regular for something like the last seven years, and has had some sterling results in that time, just not this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad