Confirmed with Link: Wennberg (50% retained) to NYR For a 2nd ('24) and 4th ('25)

Are you happy with the trade

• Very happy with the trade!

Votes: 33 13.7%
  • It's decent, i'm good with it

Votes: 155 64.3%
  • Meh, not the biggest fan

Votes: 46 19.1%
  • Very unhappy with the trade!

Votes: 7 2.9%

• Total voters

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
I don’t really see what the concern is regarding Wennberg’s ability to PK. We already have our set PK pairings at forward so I doubt he even sees time as a PK’er.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
Wennberg had Bobrovsky as his goalie in CBJ. I feel like thats the best data point when analyzing PK numbers.

That's a fair point. Elite goaltending will certainly boost the PK. Bobrovsky was a bit up and down in those years. He won a Vezina in that timeframe, but he only had 2 seasons with a sv% above .920. In Wennberg's last year with Columbus, Bobrovsky was in Florida and Merzlikins and Korpisalo were splitting duties. That was Wennberg's second best year in terms of PK xGA/60.

Last edited:

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
That's a fair point. Elite goaltending will certainly boost the PK. Bobrovsky was a bit up and down in those years. He won a Vezina in that timeframe, but he only had 2 seasons with a sv% above .920. In Wennberg's last year with Columbus, Bobrovsky was in Florida and Merzlinkins and Korpisalo were splitting duties. That was Wennberg's second best year in terms of PK xGA/60.

Yeah Im optimistic that Wennberg's bad PK numbers will stabilize playing on a top 5 PK unit in front of Igor. Its not like he will be our most relied upon forward either.

Reactions: egelband and Kodiak

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I don't think we got him cheaper than the going rate. He got what I expected from us. If this is our only move then I'd rather have the 2nd back as I don't think this changes much. We obviously have more holes. I expect some other move to be made.

Reactions: gabevh3

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
good stuff thanks for this

I think you're a little lax with your 40 minutes threshold as that will include a lot of not-really PKers.

It's fine to say "I think he can do better in the right scheme" but him being a horrible PKer over the last 3 years, as you've demonstrated, is just a fact.

40 may be a bit low, but setting the threshold higher could exclude regular PKers who missed time during the year. If we set it to 100, it would exclude years where Wennberg had 85 PK mins in 52 games and 96 PK mins in 73 games. Maybe PK TOI/GP would be better, but on the other hand, I don't want to redo my chart.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Kind of wouldn't want to be Drury right now. If Mika and Kreider were playing to the level they're capable this year, it's an entirely different story and you go out and get everyone under the sun
You see, thing is that we (as fans) know the reg season doesn't really mean shit. Just get in, right? Play well enough, right?
Pretty sure the players know that, and have "reserve" energy and skills they might not access during the reg. season.
"What if" our PP has some wrinkles that Lavy doesn't wanna show the rest of the league?
The PO's are different and I am expecting a different/better version of Mika and Kreids, especially with the addition of Wennberg and whomever else they add. Go to war then, not so much now.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Sounds like you are putting all your eggs in one basket. Really "going for it", aren't you? This is what we have done endlessly. Trading a 1st like it's nothing. Sorry, I wanna keep our 1st's from now on.
Im not a fan of trading 1sts. I don’t think anyone is, but context matters here. It’s a late 1st in a relatively weak draft. We are a top 5 team. We have an aging group with some young talent but not enough. Our best player (Panarin) is at the tail end of his prime. Fox, Lafreniere, Perreault, Othmann, and Garand will extend our window for sure, but it’s not enough, and I don’t think the 1st in this draft will do much. At some point, you have to think ok this is the team and go 100% in instead of 80% in every year. BUT it still has to be for the right player at the right cost.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
You see, thing is that we (as fans) know the reg season doesn't really mean shit. Just get in, right? Play well enough, right?
Pretty sure the players know that, and have "reserve" energy and skills they might not access during the reg. season.
"What if" our PP has some wrinkles that Lavy doesn't wanna show the rest of the league?
The PO's are different and I am expecting a different/better version of Mika and Kreids, especially with the addition of Wennberg and whomever else they add. Go to war then, not so much now.
There’s holding back wrinkles and then there’s shit play.
It’s not as easy as turning a switch.
Mika has looked bad at fundamental hockey things.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Has anyone looked at the UFA centers this upcoming off-season? The Rangers will need to sign a center, possibly (2). The list is terrible. I will say that if Drury has plans to re-sign Wennberg to a 3-4 year deal at a reasonable number, say $3-3.25m, than this trade turns in to an 'A' for me.

View attachment 831075
So, if that happens and Chytil comes back strong next season (or the PO's which is highly doubtful, imo) then we have excess Centers, and Wennberg OR Chytil become wingers?
Let's see how he fits, probably pretty well then it's a Drury problem which is a good thing.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
So, if that happens and Chytil comes back strong next season (or the PO's which is highly doubtful, imo) then we have excess Centers, and Wennberg OR Chytil become wingers?
Let's see how he fits, probably pretty well then it's a Drury problem which is a good thing.
You're worrying about problems that aren't even problems yet. :D

I'd rather worry about having too many centers and using one as a W, than be short on C depth.

We could always buyout Goodrow and run Trocheck - Zib - Chytil - Wennberg as our four centers.

Sisu4ever

Jan 6, 2020
Was thinking that. Also a question from me. Will this "Swede" help make Kaapo a little happier? Honestly, I do not know. Aren't their languages a little similar? Please don't make fun of me.
The languages, Finnish and Swedish, are not similar. But the Swedish language is taught (mandatory) in schools in Finland, so Kakko should know Swedish, unless he slept through those classes.

Reactions: egelband

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
You're worrying about problems that aren't even problems yet. :D

I'd rather worry about having too many centers and using one as a W, than be short on C depth.

We could always buyout Goodrow and run Trocheck - Zib - Chytil - Wennberg as our four centers.
I'm really doubtful we would have to buy out Goodrow. Some team will take him, even if the return is super low.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Wennberg playing the bumper on PP2. Brodzinski over Cuylle on that unit is gross but it will hopefully be Buchnevich tomorrow :naughty:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The languages, Finnish and Swedish, are not similar. But the Swedish language is taught (mandatory) in schools in Finland, so Kakko should know Swedish, unless he slept through those classes.
He sleeps through games, so it would track.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Does not deserve/earn/get bern seal of approval; it IS a waste of a 2nd, and we are better off upgrading those, or using those to upgrade our 1sts, to get better selections. Like we did w/Schneider, KAM.

As to this ^, what's done is done, playing Cuylle + Kakko on pure shutdown = waste. We have Good - Ed - Rempe for 4th line checking full shutdown 1st effort.
If ya wanna upgrade with Wenn on 4th line replacing Good, that's a thought.

Anyhoo, holding off further comment to final line recommendations until after the dust settles.

But make no mistake. long term this is a bad value error.
You absolutely do not want Edstrom-Goodrow-Rempe out against top lines in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad