Confirmed with Link: Wennberg (50% retained) to NYR For a 2nd ('24) and 4th ('25)

Are you happy with the trade

• Very happy with the trade!

Votes: 33 13.7%
  • It's decent, i'm good with it

Votes: 155 64.3%
  • Meh, not the biggest fan

Votes: 46 19.1%
  • Very unhappy with the trade!

Votes: 7 2.9%

• Total voters

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
I love it. Rangers didn't pony up a 1st for Henrique to bury him in a 3rd line grinder role (to then bitch he's not scoring as much). They got a guy who has shown that if the Rangers need a 20 min /game pure matchup C, they now don't have to force that onto Z and Kreider, and can give it to Wennberg with confidence. I'd rather have that as a 3C behind Z and Trocheck. Pair him with Cuylle and Kakko, and just make nothing happen on the ice against the other team's best players for 17 minutes a game, and this is a huge win.

Nothing against Brodz, but I'd rather see him help create a very strong bottom 6 than debate about how much of an upgrade Wennberg is over him for the cost of a low 2nd. That's what this trade does.

Add in retention, and there is still room for another move (RW? D?).

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Good depth move. He can slot up to 2C in a pinch, reliable 200 FT player, strong-ish 3C. If this team is going anywhere it needs depth because injuries are going to happen and players are going to get banged up. 2nd + 4th with 50% retention = Rangers are making another move before Friday on a larger fish.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Wennberg is going to stabilize the 3rd line. He's a very good passer, which is what both Cuylle and Kakko can use. Smooth skater that will get them out of their own zone too.

You want to see less of Goodrow? Well this is how you do it. He can play up the lineup too if you are pressed.

Drury now has 48 hours to get a middle 6 winger and a depth defenseman.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Only concern is. 3rd line seemed great with Cuylle/Brodz/Kappo. When they juggled the line and moved players off it wasn’t as effective.

Need the C depth so I understand it but if they look don’t jive, does Laviolette go back to what worked?

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
So our 2 moves this deadline is to get a center to replace Fil and a RW to replace Wheeler. Sucks that those guys got injured. But if that's our moves, then Drury is saying that the team that started the season is good enough to win it all. My point being that the 2nd player has to be a huge upgrade over Wheeler. Sounds to me, that guy is currently in Pittsburgh.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Very fair deal. Wennberg was literally the best available option IMO. He's a borderline 2C so having him as 3C and with the ability to play all situations if needed he will definitely add a wrinkle to the lineup.

A 2nd and a 4th for him at 50% retained is a very fair deal and the team is unquestionably better with Wennberg at 3C over Brodz.

Borderline 2C??

Wat??

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Just wrote it in the other thread, but Wennberg has the 10th highest TOI against elite competition among Cs in the NHL (outscored them 10-7 too). If this can ease up Zibanejad's usage and get him back on track, that's a huge bonus.

Everyone is slotted in roles that fit them really well right now. Let's see what the next deal is from Drury

RagFinMet

Jan 5, 2019
I liked Cuy JB KK

But

Wennberg is far better defensively than JB
So yes if KK goes back to that line(he should) he may not score as much but it's a solid checking line that hopefully can pop in a goal every other game or so

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad