Confirmed with Link: Wennberg (50% retained) to NYR For a 2nd ('24) and 4th ('25)

Are you happy with the trade

• Very happy with the trade!

Votes: 33 13.7%
  • It's decent, i'm good with it

Votes: 155 64.3%
  • Meh, not the biggest fan

Votes: 46 19.1%
  • Very unhappy with the trade!

Votes: 7 2.9%

• Total voters

WhereO Is Kakko

Mar 24, 2022
I've watched him his whole career and that's definitely not the case. He's a consistent third line type producer who punches well above his weight defensively. Nothing has changed in that regard.

The whole bit I'm seeing here about Wennberg being bad on the PK is also wrong. That's just short sample size variation getting into player cards that people take way too seriously here. Wennberg has been a PK regular for something like the last seven years, and has had some sterling results in that time, just not this year.
Stats dont lie
IMG_2721.jpeg

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Me when I came in to dump on his bad analytics

Isn't he a decent analytic player at 5v5? I saw a chart on twitter floating around where he's solid across the board at 5v5 and then he's one of the worst PKers in the league. I've always known him to be a solid 5v5 guy throughout his career, if overpaid on his last couple of deals considering his production.

Last edited:

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Isn't he a decent analytic player at 5v5? I saw a chart on twitter floating around where he's solid across the board at 5v5 and then he's one of the worst PKers in the league. I've always known him to be a solid 5v5 guy throughout his career, if overpaid on his last couple of deals considering his production.

I’m finding that being a good analytical player depends on who you ask.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
I feel like this move can't really be judged until we see what else Drury does. In a vacuum, I think a 2nd and a 4th for a rental 3C is a little on the steeper side. NYR is a team that struggles to generate 5 on 5 and this really does nothing to address that unless Wennberg somehow breaks out again and has good chemistry with whoever they put him with.

Unless we pick up a heavy hitter on RW, it seems like the plan is to just win games 2-1 and hope Igor gets hot in May. Not a horrible strategy, it's kind of worked for us before it just hasn't lead to a cup.

As reported, there has to be more coming. But without the 2nd round pick I find it hard to believe that our 1st alone with whatever garbage most fans are willing to give up isn't going to be enough to net a Vatrano.

My theory: Drury is waiting for some contenders to get their wingers (which has already happened) effectively leaving them out on Vatrano thereby lowering his value. If Vatrano goes before we can get him, it is what it is. I get the sense from this year's iteration of NYR that they're more paper tigers than legit contenders primarily due to the loss of Chytil, Fox still probably not being 100% and the fact that Kreider and Zibanejad have looked like 3rd liners at best all year

If Drury doesn't get a bigger fish offensively I would be pissed as a fan but I would get it; this years team just hasn't looked good enough despite their record to warrant selling the farm and going all in. But, devils advocate is that the East is trash this year and it might be the year to push all the chips in the middle.

Kind of wouldn't want to be Drury right now. If Mika and Kreider were playing to the level they're capable this year, it's an entirely different story and you go out and get everyone under the sun

Reactions: CasusBelli

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
That's a very new thing, by the way. Wennberg has been a PK regular for about 7 years now, and usually gets good results. Probably just short sample randomness.
I’ve heard their coach is shit on the pk in general, so wouldn’t surprise me if that number changed very quickly.

Reactions: CasusBelli

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
That's a lot of draws but not the greatest % Hopefully Peca can work his magic with Wennberg.
Over the last 3 years with Seattle, he averages around 46% still so seems pretty consistent. Gourde only a 49%
1709786962097.png

SH FOW% concerning

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I feel like this move can't really be judged until we see what else Drury does. In a vacuum, I think a 2nd and a 4th for a rental 3C is a little on the steeper side. NYR is a team that struggles to generate 5 on 5 and this really does nothing to address that unless Wennberg somehow breaks out again and has good chemistry with whoever they put him with.

Unless we pick up a heavy hitter on RW, it seems like the plan is to just win games 2-1 and hope Igor gets hot in May. Not a horrible strategy, it's kind of worked for us before it just hasn't lead to a cup.

As reported, there has to be more coming. But without the 2nd round pick I find it hard to believe that our 1st alone with whatever garbage most fans are willing to give up isn't going to be enough to net a Vatrano.

My theory: Drury is waiting for some contenders to get their wingers (which has already happened) effectively leaving them out on Vatrano thereby lowering his value. If Vatrano goes before we can get him, it is what it is. I get the sense from this year's iteration of NYR that they're more paper tigers than legit contenders primarily due to the loss of Chytil, Fox still probably not being 100% and the fact that Kreider and Zibanejad have looked like 3rd liners at best all year

If Drury doesn't get a bigger fish offensively I would be pissed as a fan but I would get it; this years team just hasn't looked good enough despite their record to warrant selling the farm and going all in. But, devils advocate is that the East is trash this year and it might be the year to push all the chips in the middle.

Kind of wouldn't want to be Drury right now. If Mika and Kreider were playing to the level they're capable this year, it's an entirely different story and you go out and get everyone under the sun
Don't believe everything you hear. This team definitely has a shot at a playoff run. Wennberg is a very solid addition and checks a lot of boxes that this team lacks and that Brodzinski is incapable of providing. They aren't done either. They will certainly make a move for a RW in the next 48 hours or they wouldn't have wanted the 50% retention on Wennberg. Who that may be is anybody's guess.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Have not watched Wennberg enough to make a fair assessment of this trade , but this is definitely an upgrade to 3C. But feels like a low risk, medium reward to this trade.
But how do you really feel about Henrique leaving?

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
Picking up Wennberg as a 3C rental is a good deal and helps solidify another troubled line. We are not that far from fighting for the presidents trophy, not bragging just stating the position this club is in when compared to other clubs. I look at, this as the time to step forward and give this team every ample opportunity to make a splash in the POs. Correcting the 1st line that has operated in a 2/3 capacity all year is paramount to moving forward on a positive note and being able to put their best foot forward. This team is not a slouch by any stretch.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Don't believe everything you hear. This team definitely has a shot at a playoff run. Wennberg is a very solid addition and checks a lot of boxes that this team lacks and that Brodzinski is incapable of providing. They aren't done either. They will certainly make a move for a RW in the next 48 hours or they wouldn't have wanted the 50% retention on Wennberg. Who that may be is anybody's guess.

I didn't hear it, it's my opinion based off watching them. Kreider and Zibanejad had career years when we made a run 2 years ago. They're so far from that level right now that it's hard to believe they're the same players.

They need to pick up their game BIG time and fast for us to have any type of chance at a run. You simply can't have that much cap space allocated to 2 players playing like third liners 5v5.

Those 2 are the missing pieces, not anything we're going to add at the deadline. Which is why I think Drury should be cautious this year with giving up the farm on a down year for 2 guys that should be 2 of our best 3 forwards. Big props to Trocheck for having the year he's having, but Mika has not been our best C all year at any point AINEC. That's a problem

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I didn't hear it, it's my opinion based off watching them. Kreider and Zibanejad had career years when we made a run 2 years ago. They're are so far from that level right now that it's hard to believe they're the same players.

They need to pick up their game BIG time and fast for us to have any type of chance at a run. You simply can't have that much cap space allocated to 2 players playing like third liners 5v5.
Kreider has 31 goals and 57 points in 62 games. He's having a good season and earning every bit of his contract. Mika is the problem. With all of the issues on the 1st line 5 v 5, Chytil missing the year, Kakko missing 2 months, Igor being average for months, Trouba being terrible, Brodzinski playing 3rd line center, Wheeler and Bonino being slow and terrible, they are near the top of the league standings and in 1st place in the metro all year. Getting Wennberg was a very good move and getting another NHL body RW will make this a deep forward group that can make some noise. This is a good team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad