Confirmed with Link: Wennberg (50% retained) to NYR For a 2nd ('24) and 4th ('25)

Are you happy with the trade

• Very happy with the trade!

Votes: 33 13.7%
  • It's decent, i'm good with it

Votes: 155 64.3%
  • Meh, not the biggest fan

Votes: 46 19.1%
  • Very unhappy with the trade!

Votes: 7 2.9%

• Total voters

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Kreider has 31 goals and 57 points in 62 games. He's having a good season and earning every bit of his contract. Mika is the problem. With all of the issues on the 1st line 5 v 5, Chytil missing the year, Kakko missing 2 months, Igor being average for months, Trouba being terrible, Brodzinski playing 3rd line center, Wheeler and Bonino being slow and terrible, they are near the top of the league standings and in 1st place in the metro all year. Getting Wennberg was a very good move and getting another NHL body RW will make this a deep forward group that can make some noise. This is a good team.

Couldn't care less about Kreider's stat line. He doesn't drive anything 5 on 5. He wants to float around for a 45 second shift and wave at pucks in front of the net on the PP. You can't eat up that much cap space and be completely ineffective 5 on 5 80% of the time. It simply doesn't work.

Mika has been otherworldly bad.

I agree with you in the sense that yes, obviously this is a good team. Their record considering three of their most important players have been ass the majority of the year plus the injuries they've had is impressive.

But again, it really doesn't matter who Drury goes out and gets. If Mika can't win a faceoff or score a 5 on 5 goal for f***s sake and Kreider can't decide to move his feet we aren't going anywhere

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Couldn't care less about Kreider's stat line. He doesn't drive anything 5 on 5. He wants to float around for a 45 second shift and wave at pucks in front of the net on the PP. You can't eat up that much cap space and be completely ineffective 5 on 5 80% of the time. It simply doesn't work.

Mika has been otherworldly bad.

I agree with you in the sense that yes, obviously this is a good team. Their record considering three of their most important players have been ass the majority of the year plus the injuries they've had is impressive.

But again, it really doesn't matter who Drury goes out and gets. If Mika can't win a faceoff or score a 5 on 5 goal for f***s sake and Kreider can't decide to move his feet we aren't going anywhere
I agree everything but Kreider. He's a good player and productive. 2nd in goals and 3rd in points on the team. Maybe he is inconsistent at times but he produces. Something tells me Mika will be better when the games really matter. Just a hunch. I also don't agree with the "it doesn't matter who they add" stuff. Whenever you add quality NHL players that fit needs and deepens the roster, it matters. I think they can make a run.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Isn't he a decent analytic player at 5v5? I saw a chart on twitter floating around where he's solid across the board at 5v5 and then he's one of the worst PKers in the league. I've always known him to be a solid 5v5 guy throughout his career, if overpaid on his last couple of deals considering his production.
Yeah he's not actually bad

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Wennberg is an average to above average 3rd line center. People assume that 3C's are supposed to be someone like Chytil which is FAR from the norm. He is going to help stabilize the middle of the ice and transport the puck which is something that line needs.

Has anyone looked at the UFA centers this upcoming off-season? The Rangers will need to sign a center, possibly (2). The list is terrible. I will say that if Drury has plans to re-sign Wennberg to a 3-4 year deal at a reasonable number, say $3-3.25m, than this trade turns in to an 'A' for me.

1709818432074.png

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ok great, Wennberg is in. If you just look at 5v5, he's pretty good. His underlying numbers get dinged for being the worst penalty killer to ever tie up skates. I don't know how that's even possible. Hopefully not important, although we're dealing with NHL coaching here.

Now, let's play a round of "which one of these should come out?"

download - 2024-03-07T085035.021.png

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
gotta be exciting if you're Wennberg, going from the Kraken to a team like the Rangers
Was thinking that. Also a question from me. Will this "Swede" help make Kaapo a little happier? Honestly, I do not know. Aren't their languages a little similar? Please don't make fun of me.

Reactions: AirGut

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I’m good with this trade, but Zibanejad sucks and Trocheck is good but not elite.

Wennberg doesn’t necessarily move the needle. We get one injury to any of those guys and our center group all of a sudden goes from ok to horrible. I would have given a 1st and a prospect not named Perreault or Othmann for a top 6 center instead.

Still would like a depth defenseman and a top 6 RW. Maybe Guentzel for a 1st, Berard, and Robertson/BMB/2nd.
Sounds like you are putting all your eggs in one basket. Really "going for it", aren't you? This is what we have done endlessly. Trading a 1st like it's nothing. Sorry, I wanna keep our 1st's from now on.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
How do the pros outweigh the cons pro is he can skate and IQ, manages puck.
Cons soft player which we don't need in playoffs since we will have a soft team with Rempe not playing. He doesn't shoot the puck, yes just what we need is another player who doesn't shoot.
Not good at the PK, not good on the PP either so he is just basically there. Not good at faceoffs, Something a Center should be decent at, not 46%. I see more negatives than positives with him
1st bold .......we need that
2nd bold ......Tro can give him pointers?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I am truly sorry. I don't go for 100% analytics. There are variables.
.....How does one get "labeled" as a bad PK'er if coach seems he be ON IT?
.....Don't his 3 other teammates have something to do with it?
.....The coaches system account for anything?
My point is .....if he is KNOWN to have a good hockey IQ, has some speed aren't those 2 things necessary in PK'ing? I say screw the analytics ......sometimes
Also .....just ask anyone that KNOWS the player and watching him on a regular basis. I am NOT that person, but have always regarded him as a solid/decent player. I think good for Drury.

Reactions: egelband

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I am truly sorry. I don't go for 100% analytics. There are variables.
.....How does one get "labeled" as a bad PK'er if coach seems he be ON IT?
.....Don't his 3 other teammates have something to do with it?
.....The coaches system account for anything?
My point is .....if he is KNOWN to have a good hockey IQ, has some speed aren't those 2 things necessary in PK'ing? I say screw the analytics ......sometimes
Also .....just ask anyone that KNOWS the player and watching him on a regular basis. I am NOT that person, but have always regarded him as a solid/decent player. I think good for Drury.

Also, how can one player be attributed to be a bad penalty killer? The Kraken just have a bad penalty kill in general. I dont think there is a correlation there to Wennberg. The way his game has been described (positionally sound, can win 1v1 battles, good skater) it sounds like he is a shorthanded goal threat.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I agree everything but Kreider. He's a good player and productive. 2nd in goals and 3rd in points on the team. Maybe he is inconsistent at times but he produces. Something tells me Mika will be better when the games really matter. Just a hunch. I also don't agree with the "it doesn't matter who they add" stuff. Whenever you add quality NHL players that fit needs and deepens the roster, it matters. I think they can make a run.
That "something" resides in me as well. It's Rangers faith. Fandom.
Hoping for the best. Let's face it, Panarin was a PO nightmare 2 years ago, we all thought it would
be better last year, it wasn't. Panarin has sought out to do it differently this year, hope so.
Zibby has been less than all year, but now maybe this changes/lessens his responsibilities defensively. Maybe this sets Zibby "free" to do what he does best. Do this Mika!
Drury has got a very good feel on this team and it starts with Lavy.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The amount of chart crime here is appalling. Sample size is too low. Could be goalies or simply bad luck. That's the problem with most of these charts. Half of the time they are totally useless.
how about you do some research for yourself?

Wennberg is dead last out of 163 PKers with at least 100 SH minutes in shot attempts against/60 relative to his team. By a lot. the next closest is his regular partner, Tanev, who has a full 10 percentage points lower than him (inverted scale).

He also gives up the 4th most xGA in the same sample.

He's middle of the pack in On ice SV% short handed which decisively indicates it's way more his play than the goalie.

Reactions: IDvsEGO

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
how about you do some research for yourself?

Wennberg is dead last out of 163 PKers with at least 100 SH minutes in shot attempts against/60 relative to his team. By a lot. the next closest is his regular partner, Tanev, who has a full 10 percentage points lower than him (inverted scale).

He also gives up the 4th most xGA in the same sample.

He's middle of the pack in On ice SV% short handed which decisively indicates it's way more his play than the goalie.
Sick blog. The sample size is still too small. Wait until that giant red bar turn blue next season.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
What I took from this is, that apparently a NTC lowers the value of a player you trade for.

*looks at Rangers NMCs* *sadface*

I like what I read on Wennberg shutting down opposing centers.

Otherwise, he's sickeningly good looking. lol

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Sick blog. The sample size is still too small. Wait until that giant red bar turn blue next season.
sorry I just did the bare minimum, you should consider it.

fyi: he's the 13th worst in attempts against/60 and the 17th worst in xGA/60 over three years. out of ~190 players.

he's just historically a bad PKer.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
Wennberg was a very good penalty killer back in his time with Columbus. He seems to have declined in that regard since going to Florida and then to Seattle (and his PK really fell off a cliff this year).

I went through some of the previous seasons' data to see where Wennberg would rank among his peers. This ranking is based on PK xGA/60 and includes all forwards with at least 40 minutes on the PK.

wennbergpk.png

Just to give everyone a personal reference point, by this ranking for this year, Goodrow is 25, Vesey is 38, Bonino is 57, Trocheck is 62, Zibanejad is 87, Kreider is 107.

Wennberg had 3 seasons where he would be among the elite PK forwards in the NHL, and two more seasons where he was above average. Those numbers have declined since then, but he still has the skating ability and the hockey sense. So in the right PK scheme, I would not be surprised to see Wennberg rebound and be a useful PKer.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Wennberg was a very good penalty killer back in his time with Columbus. He seems to have declined in that regard since going to Florida and then to Seattle (and his PK really fell off a cliff this year).

I went through some of the previous seasons' data to see where Wennberg would rank among his peers. This ranking is based on PK xGA/60 and includes all forwards with at least 40 minutes on the PK.

View attachment 831111

Just to give everyone a personal reference point, by this ranking for this year, Goodrow is 25, Vesey, is 38, Bonino is 57, Trocheck is 62, Zibanejad is 87, Kreider is 107.

Wennberg had 3 seasons where he would be among the elite PK forwards in the NHL, and two more seasons where he was above average. Those numbers have declined since then, but he still has the skating ability and the hockey sense. So in the right PK scheme, I would not be surprised to see Wennberg rebound and be a useful PKer.
good stuff thanks for this

I think you're a little lax with your 40 minutes threshold as that will include a lot of not-really PKers.

It's fine to say "I think he can do better in the right scheme" but him being a horrible PKer over the last 3 years, as you've demonstrated, is just a fact.

Reactions: Kodiak

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

View attachment 831111

Just to give everyone a personal reference point, by this ranking for this year, Goodrow is 25, Vesey is 38, Bonino is 57, Trocheck is 62, Zibanejad is 87, Kreider is 107.

Wennberg had Bobrovsky as his goalie in CBJ. I feel like thats the best data point when analyzing PK numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad