Confirmed with Link: Wennberg (50% retained) to NYR For a 2nd ('24) and 4th ('25)

Are you happy with the trade

• Very happy with the trade!

Votes: 33 13.7%
  • It's decent, i'm good with it

Votes: 155 64.3%
  • Meh, not the biggest fan

Votes: 46 19.1%
  • Very unhappy with the trade!

Votes: 7 2.9%

• Total voters

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I don’t see why we need to go all in this year. Who are our big upcoming free agents? Igor in 2025?

Go all in next season. Othmann will be up, Chytil hopefully healthy, stronger bottom 6 with Edstrom, Cuylle, Berard, Sykora all in the mix. (Extensions will happen) 2025 free agents will have a ton of talent. Can go all in next deadline for a LD and then Gabe comes up following year.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You're worrying about problems that aren't even problems yet. :D

I'd rather worry about having too many centers and using one as a W, than be short on C depth.

We could always buyout Goodrow and run Trocheck - Zib - Chytil - Wennberg as our four centers.
You see Wennberg being interested in 4th line money, or are you paying Wennberg enough to stay and then just tossing him on the 4th line? 3.6 for Goodrow on the 4th line is a problem and not just because he sucks. We can't pay 3.6 or more for Wennberg to be on the 4th line.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I don’t see why we need to go all in this year. Who are our big upcoming free agents? Igor in 2025?

Go all in next season. Othmann will be up, Chytil hopefully healthy, stronger bottom 6 with Edstrom, Cuylle, Berard, Sykora all in the mix. (Extensions will happen) 2025 free agents will have a ton of talent. Can go all in next deadline for a LD and then Gabe comes up following year.
Because GMs have a very narrow window to win if their team is good and they don't know if they'll have a next season?

Hockey fans also don't know how to cope with the reality that it's really hard to win it all and it's only going to get harder as the league expands the number of teams. Some fans really need to start facing the scary reality that they could go half their lives (or even their whole lives) without seeing their team win anything meaningful.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
I'm OK with this trade; price was a little over what I would have paid, but it is what it is and it fills the need for a 3rd line centre.

The team still needs to add; they still have holes to fill. Back end d'man/top 6 forward (at least top 6 capable). Obviously, won't be cheap.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
So, the elephant in the room is, is Chytil a long term answer for this team? If we feel he isn't we could do a lot worse than Wennberg as a stop gap for Perrault. It sucks but it appears as though Chytil will always have issues

Reactions: egelband

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
The Guentzel bidding war better be using our name as a price driver. We will be getting far and away the most ass-rammed in that deal. That is a certainty. Come on, big out of left field good move please.

Wennberg a winner. When was the last time he was on a team this playoff tested and good? Columbus and Seattle were a far cry from where this team/core is.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
how about you do some research for yourself?

Wennberg is dead last out of 163 PKers with at least 100 SH minutes in shot attempts against/60 relative to his team. By a lot. the next closest is his regular partner, Tanev, who has a full 10 percentage points lower than him (inverted scale).

He also gives up the 4th most xGA in the same sample.

He's middle of the pack in On ice SV% short handed which decisively indicates it's way more his play than the goalie.
What else can you expect from a pretty face like this - I wouldn’t want to sacrifice such god gift either (I would imagine because I’m…. not Swedish).

Wtp99

May 8, 2021
So, the elephant in the room is, is Chytil a long term answer for this team? If we feel he isn't we could do a lot worse than Wennberg as a stop gap for Perrault. It sucks but it appears as though Chytil will always have issues
I feel sorry for the kid, but he is done, 4 concussions and being made of glass does not bode well for a long productive career.
Wennburg was sought after by some of the best teams at this point of the season. We could have done worse

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Wennberg is an average to above average 3rd line center. People assume that 3C's are supposed to be someone like Chytil which is FAR from the norm. He is going to help stabilize the middle of the ice and transport the puck which is something that line needs.

Has anyone looked at the UFA centers this upcoming off-season? The Rangers will need to sign a center, possibly (2). The list is terrible. I will say that if Drury has plans to re-sign Wennberg to a 3-4 year deal at a reasonable number, say $3-3.25m, than this trade turns in to an 'A' for me.

View attachment 831075
Consider that if you have a team of average players you either miss the playoffs or get ousted in the first round.

We can safely assume that Chytil as a 3C is both above average and uncommon relative to the league as a whole but way more common or even necessary if you want to be the best team in the league.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

we have to pay kakko, lindgren and schneider this off season, laf/miller/igor next, and the big deals don't start falling until 26.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
An alarmingly handsome 6'2" center, who's pass-first, and solid at 5v5 acquired at the deadline?

1000003379.jpg

I'm just saying.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I was really impressed by how well Wennberg played. For only having one full practice, he was in position the entire night.

With the age of our key players, we need to go all in every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad