The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
My daughter actually picked MTSU as the winner! But she also picked Vanderbilt. I think this could be called a "clue" into her methodology. Pick local or teams you like. That nut didn't fall far from the tree.

The only basketball game I ever remember her going to was a Vandy game when she sang the anthem with a choir she was in.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
for a more realistic assessment of what BB is - see Wisc romp over Pit 47-43, in the lowest scoring game in tourney history; which also included 16 whole pts by WI in the first half- also an all-time tourney low..

:cry: allow only 16 points in one half and still lose. Typical Pitt, though!. :cry:

However, as a Pitt fan, I think it is hilarious that wvu is out in the first round.

A friend of mine picked MTSU, but she went there so of course she picked them. I would not be surprised if MTSU beats Syracuse.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
for a more realistic assessment of what BB is - see Wisc romp over Pit 47-43, in the lowest scoring game in tourney history; which also included 16 whole pts by WI in the first half- also an all-time tourney low.

You think that was bad? A few years ago Wisconsin played Penn State in the Big Ten Tournament. The game ended with Penn State eeking out a 36-33 win. Penn State shot 33.3% overall, 25% from 3 and made 7 of their 8 free throws. Wisconsin shot 29.4% overall, 9.5% on 3s and only made 1 of their 3 free throws.

Last night was actually pretty funny. I saw the score at the Admirals game but they don't give the time left, just the half it's in so after the 1st period was over I decided to go to the concourse to watch the game on TV. By the time I get to the TV I see a 44-43 score with 10 seconds left. Just based on the score the last time I saw it I figured I'd be able to spend the entire intermission watching the game. Oh how wrong I was.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
You think that was bad? A few years ago Wisconsin played Penn State in the Big Ten Tournament. The game ended with Penn State eeking out a 36-33 win. Penn State shot 33.3% overall, 25% from 3 and made 7 of their 8 free throws. Wisconsin shot 29.4% overall, 9.5% on 3s and only made 1 of their 3 free throws.
Everyone always talks about how a 16 has never beaten a 1. Well, my former school Western Kentucky should've beaten 1 seed Kansas a few years ago. We were leading at halftime and only lost by 7 despite shooting 31% from the field, 15% from 3, and making 12 fewer free throws than KU. UGH......we could've finally been the one that did it if we would've shot even okay. Not well, just decent.

As far as Wisconsin goes, I have them in my Elite 8.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
My 16th seed Racers took #1 seed Michigan St to OT back when Seth dad Popeye was playing for them

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
Stallings is incredibly fortunate because he was done at Vandy and knew it. I am so glad he landed on his feet because he deserved it. Given that Vandy only kinda tolerates athletics, he did a good job for them. As for their so called athletic director(former university VP for other areas, no experience), I'm sure he already had his coach and to his credit, was just giving Stallings some time. Be interesting to see who he picked. I sure hope he's a good recruiter; Vandy needs that badly.[/QUOTE

He's incredibly incompetent. He along with an ex chancellor have dismantled so much over there.

He'll have a hard time getting rid of Corbin though.:popcorn:

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
while that athletic dep't may be a mess, Stallings clearly has some problems, and it's not necessarily recruiting. In the last 4 or 5 years, how many of those very good kids he's had - especially the big men - have bailed early, when they are not NBA ready. Plus a couple of suspensions for "other" infractions. and the kid who transferred to Mizzou, who actually got to the NBA. Vandy may cut them a little slack academically on admissions, but basically, those are capable students - so how come so much of this has done so badly?

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
He's incredibly incompetent. He along with an ex chancellor have dismantled so much over there.

He'll have a hard time getting rid of Corbin though.:popcorn:
He is the one that hired Corbin and James Franklin. Stallings time was up. His team underachieved several years and should have a final 4 or at least an Elite 8 with the talent he has had.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
He is the one that hired Corbin and James Franklin. Stallings time was up. His team underachieved several years and should have a final 4 or at least an Elite 8 with the talent he has had.

I was just referring to David Williams. Gordon Gee (chancellor in 2003) dismantled the athleTic director as a job in 2003. That is the year that Corbin was hired. I'm not sure who actually hired Corbin. Corbin is a quality man and coach.
As to James Franklin, well the rape case and the horrible recruits that were left for the next coach speak for his success. He's a schmuck.

Williams is excellent at raising $ . That's well known. Hiring coaches, not so much.....

Stallings , yea his time was up years ago.

A vandy alum for 40 plus years......

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Vandy is looking for a new basketball coach... because Pitt has hired Kevin Stallings.
I'm going to need someone to tell me this is a good hire. This is getting ripped by the media and fans and it makes me worried about the fit. Especially after Jamie Dixon's relative success it's hard to think this is the best hire.

Fun facts:
Stallings son is a prospect in the Pirates organization.

Stallings once blocked Sheldon Jeter's transfer from Vandy to.......Pitt. (They say that is water under the bridge now)

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
I was just referring to David Williams. Gordon Gee (chancellor in 2003) dismantled the athleTic director as a job in 2003. That is the year that Corbin was hired. I'm not sure who actually hired Corbin. Corbin is a quality man and coach.
As to James Franklin, well the rape case and the horrible recruits that were left for the next coach speak for his success. He's a schmuck.

Williams is excellent at raising $ . That's well known. Hiring coaches, not so much.....

Stallings , yea his time was up years ago.

A vandy alum for 40 plus years......

I dunno about that.... in the "minor" sports he's done a pretty good job - bowling coach, girls track/CC, etc..... Franklin was a mixed bag for sure, and Mason looks over his head....

Yukon Cornellis

aka Phoneguy
Mar 27, 2010
Hendersonville, TN
I'm going to need someone to tell me this is a good hire. This is getting ripped by the media and fans and it makes me worried about the fit. Especially after Jamie Dixon's relative success it's hard to think this is the best hire.

Fun facts:
Stallings son is a prospect in the Pirates organization.

Stallings once blocked Sheldon Jeter's transfer from Vandy to.......Pitt. (They say that is water under the bridge now)

It's a good hire....

for Vanderbilt....;-)

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I dunno about that.... in the "minor" sports he's done a pretty good job - bowling coach, girls track/CC, etc..... Franklin was a mixed bag for sure, and Mason looks over his head....
In year 1 I would've agreed but after last season I don't know. Naming himself as Defensive Coordinator was a good move and their defense was excellent last year. They just need something resembling an offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad