The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
Bryce Drew will prove to be a good hire. I'm not sure what we'll see next year, but his style fits today's kids a lot better than some of the older coaches, and he's proven to be able to establish parameters around what kids will work in his school and system and successfully recruit (and graduate) them.

He will also do Vandy well, as he is much more personable and sees the value in reaching into the community and building ties and excitement - something we all have see the importance of for the Preds.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
I don't really see anything on the surface that makes me think it was a bad move.

His conference record is what impresses me the most. You would assume that teams in the same conference have roughly the same talent level.The only knock would be he hasn't gotten his baptism of fire in the recruiting game yet.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Can't believe Vandy hired Drew when Travis Ford was available :sarcasm:

(TF Is from my hometown)

Edit, nvm, see Ford already got hired at StLouis

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I don't really see anything on the surface that makes me think it was a bad move.
1. He can't Recruit
2. He has done nothing at the SEC level
3. He can't recruit
4. He is a legend at Valpo and should have stayed there
5. I just have a bad feeling about him

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
1. He can't Recruit
3. He can't recruit

Those last two are the only two that apply and they are just your opinion. He will get his shot to compete in the SEC on the floor and in recruiting. As a Vol alum, I hope he falls flat on his face, but I think it is a good hire and will be interesting to watch his career play out.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
It's weird that Georgia Tech went "yeah, this is the guy we need. A guy who was probably going to be fired from his mid-major school if not for a ridiculous buyout."

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
So basically, Kevin Stallings to Pitt all over again.

(except for the mid-major part)

It's one of the most infuriating things in sports. Go with the retreads who have a track record, despite it not being a good track record because you're not confident enough in your abilities as an AD to hire an up and comer who has never had a head coaching job because you're afraid he might do worse than the retread.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
My beloved Padres set an MLB record by being shut out for 30 straight innings to start a season. We didn't score a run this year until the 4th inning today, and we ended up with 13. Baseball is a weird sport.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
My beloved Padres set an MLB record by being shut out for 30 straight innings to start a season. We didn't score a run this year until the 4th inning today, and we ended up with 13. Baseball is a weird sport.

meanwhile my Reds are effing with me just like they did last year when they started the season undefeated.... only to by 20 games out by the all star game

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
1. He can't Recruit
3. He can't recruit

Bryce Drew was a first round NBA pick. He played for 6 years in the NBA, including seasons with the Bulls and the Rockets. He spent 6 years assisting his father at Valpo and became the Head Coach after his father retired. He had 124-49 record, good for .717 winning percentage. His teams went to a postseason tournament all 5 years. They were NIT runner-ups and advanced to the second round of the NCAA twice. His conference record was 65-19 for a .774 winning percentage.

Considering how weird that gym is at Vandy, you should be happy to be getting a quality coach. Lute Olson, or anybody like him, isn't coming to Vandy. You will have to get guys on their way up in the college basketball world, just like 90% of schools.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
meanwhile my Reds are effing with me just like they did last year when they started the season undefeated.... only to by 20 games out by the all star game

Come on! The Reds are tied for the best record in baseball!

Have a little faith. Maybe they will go 162-0 this year.

All kidding aside.

I have picked the Reds to lead the NL...

in losses with 95.

The Brewers will have 91 losses.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Come on! The Reds are tied for the best record in baseball!

Have a little faith. Maybe they will go 162-0 this year.

All kidding aside.

I have picked the Reds to lead the NL...

in losses with 95.

The Brewers will have 91 losses.
If you remembered the Padres existed I think you would've had a different pick there.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
If you remembered the Padres existed I think you would've had a different pick there.

My wife's Aunt lives in San Diego, so I remember the Padres, even if she isn't playing for them.

The Cincinnati Reds are short 2 starting pitchers (Cueto 20-9 in 2014, and the guy that they never signed for the team) and 1 reliever (Chapman 105 mph max, 99.5 mph Avg) by my count.

Baseball is supposed to be 1/2 to 2/3 pitching. What do you make of those facts?

IMHO the Reds, the original pro baseball team in 1869, are set up to fail.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I see that Batey was convicted for the second time. He was found guilty of aggravated rape and assault of an unconscious woman by a Nashville jury on Friday night. That story was all over the TV news when I was in Nashville around Easter.

There is another trial coming up for another man involved in this incident.

I assume that is part of the reason why Vandy has a new basketball coach in Bryce Drew.

Where did the old coach (Franklin?) go?

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I see that Batey was convicted for the second time. He was found guilty of aggravated rape and assault of an unconscious woman by a Nashville jury on Friday night. That story was all over the TV news when I was in Nashville around Easter.

There is another trial coming up for another man involved in this incident.

I assume that is part of the reason why Vandy has a new basketball coach in Bryce Drew.

Where did the old coach (Franklin?) go?

They were football players not basketball. This had nothing to do with the coaches leaving. Franklin went to Penn State which was highly ironic. He went there 2 seasons ago.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
My wife's Aunt lives in San Diego, so I remember the Padres, even if she isn't playing for them.

The Cincinnati Reds are short 2 starting pitchers (Cueto 20-9 in 2014, and the guy that they never signed for the team) and 1 reliever (Chapman 105 mph max, 99.5 mph Avg) by my count.

Baseball is supposed to be 1/2 to 2/3 pitching. What do you make of those facts?

IMHO the Reds, the original pro baseball team in 1869, are set up to fail.

Everyone assumed this would be a rebuilding year for the Reds. They apparently got some good young talent for Cueto and Chapman, so the thinking is they are one or two years from being competitive again.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
They were football players not basketball. This had nothing to do with the coaches leaving. Franklin went to Penn State which was highly ironic. He went there 2 seasons ago.
And if not for some random university worker stumbling upon the video of the girl in the hallway while looking for something totally different on the same tape, none of them would've ever been caught.

I remember a friend of mine worked for Vandy football at the time and one day he called me and was like "Dude I can't say much and the details are sketchy but we've got something here that could be so bad I can never make fun of UT again." Turns out he was right.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
And if not for some random university worker stumbling upon the video of the girl in the hallway while looking for something totally different on the same tape, none of them would've ever been caught.

I remember a friend of mine worked for Vandy football at the time and one day he called me and was like "Dude I can't say much and the details are sketchy but we've got something here that could be so bad I can never make fun of UT again." Turns out he was right.
I somewhat disagree since the team and University did the right thing in that case. Yes the 4 players are slime for what they did but the school did 100% the right thing. Whereas UT is being sued for covering up for athletes and not reporting crimes. You would think most schools have ethical people but it is apparent that some do not (Florida, Florida St.)

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...nfluence-factors-somes-avoid-criminal-charges

I would add UT to this list since they have done some of the same things in the past including having a 20/20 report on them in the 80's

I somewhat disagree since the team and University did the right thing in that case. Yes the 4 players are slime for what they did but the school did 100% the right thing. Whereas UT is being sued for covering up for athletes and not reporting crimes. You would think most schools have ethical people but it is apparent that some do not (Florida, Florida St.)

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...nfluence-factors-somes-avoid-criminal-charges

I would add UT to this list since they have done some of the same things in the past including having a 20/20 report on them in the 80's

Except Franklin was the one who brought them here, Franklin was the one who compelled them to destroy evidence, and Franklin is the one who, when **** went down, ran off to PEDDo State.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Except Franklin was the one who brought them here, Franklin was the one who compelled them to destroy evidence, and Franklin is the one who, when **** went down, ran off to PEDDo State.
Batey was from Nashville and went to Ensworth. There was 0 criminal history or red flags on any of them. The ring leader Vandenburg went to a private christian school. (Note I am not defending them in any way and hope they rot in prison for what they did)

It was never proven Franklin did anything wrong and even the DA (a UT grad ) said he cooperated fully.

He also kicked his 2nd best player (Boyd) off the team when he did very little and only got a misdemeanor for helping the girl home the next morning and had no earthly idea she had been assaulted.

FYI: I hate the guy for the way he left and screwed the team and took recruits. So it would make me happy if it was found he did something wrong and PSU fired him.

Last edited:

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015

Haha, presumption of guilt much? The administration at UT is very confident they are going to win this lawsuit FWIW. Not a single player who has ever even been ACCUSED of sexual assault under Butch has ever played another snap besides Von Pearson who had all charges dropped before the season even started.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Haha, presumption of guilt much? The administration at UT is very confident they are going to win this lawsuit FWIW. Not a single player who has ever even been ACCUSED of sexual assault under Butch has ever played another snap besides Von Pearson who had all charges dropped before the season even started.
One is one too many.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad