The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Good job of screwing up the draft Titans!! Trade the 33rd pick next year along with 76 to pick a O-Lineman (again). Both the current Oilers (hockey) and the former ones don't know how to draft.

Interesting take considering all of the analysts seem to love what they've done.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Good job of screwing up the draft Titans!! Trade the 33rd pick next year along with 76 to pick a O-Lineman (again). Both the current Oilers (hockey) and the former ones don't know how to draft.

Was kinda wondering what you guys thought of all that...

The general consensus for Hawks fans is that the FO totally screwed the pooch by picking Floyd... whereas I actually like the pick. Oh well.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Interesting take considering all of the analysts seem to love what they've done.
Why would you give up a top the 76th pick and a 40 pick next year for an Offensive lineman that was slated to be there at #15 anyways? They already have drafted 3 in the last 4 years. This team needs defense not more linemen.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Was it you that thought Mariota was a bad pick last year? But anyway, yes, offensive linemen are a bad investment when you have Mariota and DeMarco Murray. But I'm not a Titans fan and I'm stoked over my team's pick so what do I know?

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Was it you that thought Mariota was a bad pick last year? But anyway, yes, offensive linemen are a bad investment when you have Mariota and DeMarco Murray. But I'm not a Titans fan and I'm stoked over my team's pick so what do I know?
I also predicted they would win 3 games at the most.

Jury is still out on Mariota he looked good at times and others he was injured (#1 issue with a running QB). Being on the sidelines for 6 games with a baseball cap and clipboard is not helping your team win games.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

Jury is still out on Mariota he looked good at times and others he was injured (#1 issue with a running QB). Being on the sidelines for 6 games with a baseball cap and clipboard is not helping your team win games.
I thought he got injured because he was being sacked behind his terrible offensive line, (one with a dirty play at his knees), and not because he was running, which he rarely does unless he has to. His 90 yard TD run to beat the Jags was because his bad offensive line was breaking down so he ran. If I was a Titans fan I'd be furious if we didn't draft O Line.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015

Lol in the same thread you rip mariota for getting hurt and then rip the titans for moving up to ensure they got their favorite tackle to protect him, who by the way EVERYONE said would be gone by 15. Giants were taking him at 10.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I thought he got injured because he was being sacked behind his terrible offensive line, (one with a dirty play at his knees), and not because he was running, which he rarely does unless he has to. His 90 yard TD run to beat the Jags was because his bad offensive line was breaking down so he ran. If I was a Titans fan I'd be furious if we didn't draft O Line.
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=15425236

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Lol in the same thread you rip mariota for getting hurt and then rip the titans for moving up to ensure they got their favorite tackle to protect him, who by the way EVERYONE said would be gone by 15. Giants were taking him at 10.

I know I'm just a dumb Hawks fan bandwagoner for you guys, and don't mean to overstep in the Nashville threads if I am, but the Giants were either going to take Conklin at 10, or Floyd at 10, depending which was available. It was why the Bears moved up ahead of the Giants to take Floyd once Conklin came off. Basically the Titans and Bears screwed the Giants. :laugh:

They scrambled hard once they saw both those guys off the board, and reached on Apple at 10.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Paul Kuharsky? Really? I mean I like PK but he's not the gospel.

I mean it's fine. Say what you want about the team since you're the Titans fan not me, but what I see in them is a GM who was part of Belichick's inner draft trust circle that's now making moves that make total sense along with a franchise QB who won 3 games because the team around him is awful right now. I'm a Chargers fan and Rivers won 4 games last year. Does that mean he sucked? Absolutely not.

I know I'm just a dumb Hawks fan bandwagoner for you guys, and don't mean to overstep in the Nashville threads if I am, but the Giants were either going to take Conklin at 10, or Floyd at 10, depending which was available. It was why the Bears moved up ahead of the Giants to take Floyd once Conklin came off. Basically the Titans and Bears screwed the Giants. :laugh:

They scrambled hard once they saw both those guys off the board, and reached on Apple at 10.
Nah you're good. And yes I think they reached on him. Maybe it's because he's a Jersey kid, who knows?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Surprised the heck out of me when I heard about that as well, but I'm not about to complain that they did. It made history for Ohio State - first time we've had three of our guys go in the top-10. :D

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Paul Kuharsky? Really? I mean I like PK but he's not the gospel.

I mean it's fine. Say what you want about the team since you're the Titans fan not me, but what I see in them is a GM who was part of Belichick's inner draft trust circle that's now making moves that make total sense along with a franchise QB who won 3 games because the team around him is awful right now. I'm a Chargers fan and Rivers won 4 games last year. Does that mean he sucked? Absolutely not.
My and his point is that they continue using high draft picks on O-line. Linemen are like goalie you can find a great one in the 7 round. The skill level for being big and strong is minimal. He seems like a good kid and hard worker so hopefully it works out.

This remind me of the Predators continuing to draft defensmen every year Parent, Blum ect...

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
My and his point is that they continue using high draft picks on O-line. Linemen are like goalie you can find a great one in the 7 round. The skill level for being big and strong is minimal. He seems like a good kid and hard worker so hopefully it works out.

This remind me of the Predators continuing to draft defensmen every year Parent, Blum ect...

When your most important franchise asset is being protected by those guys every single snap it makes a ton of sense. You have a young future superstar QB, you have to keep him healthy. QB is the most important position in the NFL. The Titans finally have one and they realize how important protecting him is after last year. Throwing him out there behind "a great one from the 7th round" would be insane.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I understand the concept of not wanting to keep picking O-linemen in the first round. I do get it. With that said though, I will say that you have 3 picks pretty high tonight and it's a total luxury. If you want to go D-line at some point here tonight (I assume you do) it could be a really solid move. The draft is seen as really really deep in the front 7 on D. I heard a draft scout on the radio saying he's studied prospects for the last 30 or so years and this is one of the deepest defensive line drafts he's ever seen. I think there are plenty of first-round level defensive players that'll be taken in the 2nd round tonight. I fully expect the Titans to address that. That's why I think they made a good move in going ahead and getting their tackle by jumping ahead of the Giants who would've taken him.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
Yeah Conklin wasn't gonna be there at 15. A couple weeks ago maybe but not last night.

yes, but if Conklin wasn't it was pretty likely that Tunseil would have been.... and Dekerd for sure.

I like Conklin as a pick, I don't like the cost to move up relative to what the worst-case outcome of staying at 15 would be.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Why would you give up a top the 76th pick and a 40 pick next year for an Offensive lineman that was slated to be there at #15 anyways? They already have drafted 3 in the last 4 years. This team needs defense not more linemen.

Do you watch the Titans? They need a line more than anything, the defense overall isn't that bad. Its the secondary and guys will be there early in the 2nd. Not a Tackle that can come in on day 1 and be a starter. It's a great pick, just not flashy like the peanut galley wants.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I know that a lot of opinions are formed based on what you see in mock drafts. Just for the record, Kiper had Conklin at #4 (overall) in his final big board. Yeah he's just one person but generally speaking I've been seeing/hearing the same from other sources as well.

It seems the true strength of this draft is really where we are about to start picking tonight. We should come away with a huge haul tonight provided we avoid the temptation to take talent with baggage. I'd love Myles Jack but we're not in a good position to gamble on that. Reggie Ragland would be awesome too but have to weigh the risk there as well. Personally I hope we take Mackensie Alexander from Clemson with 33. I certainly wouldn't be against A'shawn Robinson either.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I know that a lot of opinions are formed based on what you see in mock drafts. Just for the record, Kiper had Conklin at #4 (overall) in his final big board. Yeah he's just one person but generally speaking I've been seeing/hearing the same from other sources as well.

It seems the true strength of this draft is really where we are about to start picking tonight. We should come away with a huge haul tonight provided we avoid the temptation to take talent with baggage. I'd love Myles Jack but we're not in a good position to gamble on that. Reggie Ragland would be awesome too but have to weigh the risk there as well. Personally I hope we take Mackensie Alexander from Clemson with 33. I certainly wouldn't be against A'shawn Robinson either.
I somewhat disagree. I'd like the Chargers to take him at 35 if medically cleared but I feel like a team that's best suited to take him is a team like the Titans with extra picks to gamble with. I understand you guys have a lot of holes to fill but if you draft well and the one screw up is Jack and his inability to stay healthy, you still got a lot of productivity based on your number of picks. Whereas if we (or almost any other team) gambled on him and he busts, we wasted a second rounder.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I somewhat disagree. I'd like the Chargers to take him at 35 if medically cleared but I feel like a team that's best suited to take him is a team like the Titans with extra picks to gamble with. I understand you guys have a lot of holes to fill but if you draft well and the one screw up is Jack and his inability to stay healthy, you still got a lot of productivity based on your number of picks. Whereas if we (or almost any other team) gambled on him and he busts, we wasted a second rounder.

I get it. I'd love to take the guy but I also want to be sure whoever we pick at 33 actually sees the field. Just realized Chris Jones is still there and think that is probably a steal. Though this year is really shaking out to be the one where 15 - 60 is basically a vastly different board from analyst to analyst and team to team.

With that said, if we draft Myles Jack at 33 I'm not going to be upset about it.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

I like both of these guys from a Bears perspective as well. Wouldn't mind Dodd, either. Or Hunter Henry. Bears are in desperate need of a TE.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
What do we actually think is the biggest current gaping need for the Titans at the moment? Should we use all of the 2nd rounders on defense (basically any position) or use one on a receiver?

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
What do we actually think is the biggest current gaping need for the Titans at the moment? Should we use all of the 2nd rounders on defense (basically any position) or use one on a receiver?

DB and pass rush. We definitely need to pick up a receiver too. May be able to add a solid DL in the late rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad