The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
So, the only local college hoops teams left with a realistic shot at March Madness is MTSU - in the Conf USA championship game today. Otherwise, the Tenn faithful will have to stand behind the Governors of Austin Peay. (yes, Vandy fans - in spite of Joe Lunatic and his prognostications on ESPN, a 19-13 team in a pretty poor SEC that loses to UT in the tourney isn't getting in)

Well, on reflection, I guess Memphis still has a shot ..... so maybe there is hope beyond a one-and-done.....

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
So, the only local college hoops teams left with a realistic shot at March Madness is MTSU - in the Conf USA championship game today. Otherwise, the Tenn faithful will have to stand behind the Governors of Austin Peay. (yes, Vandy fans - in spite of Joe Lunatic and his prognostications on ESPN, a 19-13 team in a pretty poor SEC that loses to UT in the tourney isn't getting in)

Well, on reflection, I guess Memphis still has a shot ..... so maybe there is hope beyond a one-and-done.....
I hate MTSU and everything about it so I'm hoping for a good clean loss there. I doubt it happens but I could see Vandy playing in one of those play-in games in Dayton.

Yukon Cornellis

aka Phoneguy
Mar 27, 2010
Hendersonville, TN
I hate MTSU and everything about it so I'm hoping for a good clean loss there. I doubt it happens but I could see Vandy playing in one of those play-in games in Dayton.

Why the little Middle hate, Drake?? I dislike them because they used to be my alma mater's main rival back when they were still in the OVC. Once a rival, always a rival.

Let's see, I like college football, college baseball, pro hockey...and that's about it, sportwise. Don't really care to watch pro football or baseball anymore, and really could care less about basketball. My team is Notre Dame , I'm a Vandy fan by marriage, Preds fan of course, and fan of any team playing UT in any sport. #ABT

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Why the little Middle hate, Drake?? I dislike them because they used to be my alma mater's main rival back when they were still in the OVC. Once a rival, always a rival.
Same thing because I went (mainly) to Western Kentucky. We don't like them and they don't like us. In my years there it was a Sun Belt rivalry and now it's C-USA obviously. Also the campus is boring, dingy and gross looking. Their facilities are terrible and I just dislike everything about it. When I was in high school I thought about going there like many college-bound students around here do. Then I visited WKU and was like geez MTSU is awful.

ANYWAY now that I've totally alienated anyone on here with MTSU allegiances.....I was really hoping for a WKU/MTSU final obviously but I couldn't get it. Now I'm just hoping San Diego State can get in later today by beating Fresno. Would be their 7th straight year in the tournament. I have weird teams, I know.

Mustard

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville
I've never really understood localized animosity towards teams. Many Titans fans hate the Predators too, and it seems to all stem from silly reasons, IMO. I am a big Titans, Preds, Vandy, and Belmont fan, but I also love watching baseball, too. Hockey games are the most fun and easily accessible for me since I live near 12 South, but I just enjoy sports in general. Basketball is my childhood game, and will always be "my sport", per se. Titans fans always say "weyull herr in Tannessee we watch FOOTBALL, not hawkey..." which makes about as much sense as them dating their cousins. Sorry. Just because you did not grow up watching a sport, does not mean you can't come to fully understand it after sitting with a knowledgable fan for a single game. Then again, a lot of people in the South can't make those observations due to the education standards and southern complacency.

On the inverse, Preds fans have had a raging case of small-man syndrome since they arrived. It's as if they are rebels with a cause to monopolize hockey as the state's sport. Outside of Nashville, Tennessee is a redneck haven, and it all comes full-circle with my final sentence in the last paragraph: people outside of Nashville are not very smart. It's the south; and it's the truth. Hockey in Tennessee is expanding its boarders, but the bipartisanism between the Titans and Preds is NAUSEATING.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
If they're a Tennessee team or a few others that are personally significant to me (West Virginia or Navy for my dad, Wisconsin for my brother in law and JW--though $uter sort of messed it up some, Dayton for my Duning) then I'll cheer for them. There is a pecking order. Preds, UTK, Titans or Vanderbilt would outrank any of them, Tennessee outranks Vanderbilt (they should have accepted me), Dayton MIGHT outrank Trevecca but it wouldn't outrank Belmont since Logan went there, etc. But it's a tribal thing. I graduated from UT so that school is my tribe. Preds are my tribe. Those rank highest. For the record, Preds vs Tennessee? Preds all the way, baby.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
My Daughter Basketball Team
Predators
Vanderbilt
MLB (mostly Braves but I'll watch anyone)
Sounds/ Smokies/ Lookouts (just to attend don't follow)
Titans
Rest of the NHL

Teams I don't like
Vawls (50% Obnoxious fan base overall)
Wings/Blues/Blackhawks (80% obnoxious fans)
Most of the NFL (overrated sport and too many thugs ie Rice, Manziel ect..)

Last edited:

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Same thing because I went (mainly) to Western Kentucky. We don't like them and they don't like us. In my years there it was a Sun Belt rivalry and now it's C-USA obviously. Also the campus is boring, dingy and gross looking. Their facilities are terrible and I just dislike everything about it.

I went to MTSU when most of the facilities were terrible so understand where you're coming from. With that said, the kids there now have it made. Many of the buildings are now brand new.

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I pull for MTSU baseball, Vandy baseball and any local baseball player. My favorite team is the Lead Off Academy Wilcards team, 12u. I pull for everything Blackman too.

I also like the Sounds, Titans and any other local team.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I've never really understood localized animosity towards teams. Many Titans fans hate the Predators too, and it seems to all stem from silly reasons, IMO. I am a big Titans, Preds, Vandy, and Belmont fan, but I also love watching baseball, too. Hockey games are the most fun and easily accessible for me since I live near 12 South, but I just enjoy sports in general. Basketball is my childhood game, and will always be "my sport", per se. Titans fans always say "weyull herr in Tannessee we watch FOOTBALL, not hawkey..." which makes about as much sense as them dating their cousins. Sorry. Just because you did not grow up watching a sport, does not mean you can't come to fully understand it after sitting with a knowledgable fan for a single game. Then again, a lot of people in the South can't make those observations due to the education standards and southern complacency.

On the inverse, Preds fans have had a raging case of small-man syndrome since they arrived. It's as if they are rebels with a cause to monopolize hockey as the state's sport. Outside of Nashville, Tennessee is a redneck haven, and it all comes full-circle with my final sentence in the last paragraph: people outside of Nashville are not very smart. It's the south; and it's the truth. Hockey in Tennessee is expanding its boarders, but the bipartisanism between the Titans and Preds is NAUSEATING.

Oy gevalt. Tell me about it. We've got the exact same thing going on up here with Buckeye football and the Jackets and it is absolutely infuriating. :rant:

* * *​
My Daughter Basketball Team

Family loyalty FTW. My brother just recently signed a contract with the AUDL's Cincinnati Revolution as an (almost) birthday present... ;)

Yukon Cornellis

aka Phoneguy
Mar 27, 2010
Hendersonville, TN
Teams I don't like
Vawls (50% Obnoxious fan base overall)
Wings/Blues/Blackhawks (80% obnoxious fans)
Most of the NFL (overrated sport and too many thugs ie Rice, Manziel ect..)

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

FWIW, my wife and I never watched a hockey game until the Preds came to being. We now watch every game we can on TV (all teams, not just Preds), and go to what games we can in person.

Yukon Cornellis

aka Phoneguy
Mar 27, 2010
Hendersonville, TN

I don't know if I'd paint everyone outside of Nashville as not very smart just because they might not like hockey.

btw, it's "borders", not "boarders"...

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I kinda get what he (?) is saying. There's definitely a lot of Preds die hards that actively hate the Titans/football in general while I don't really think most hockey fans in other NHL markets would feel that way. There's definitely the small man syndrome with some people here as if they're trying to show off the fact that they don't like football in an act of hockey-fan-in-Tennessee rebellion. I'm sure if you go to Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Philly and on and on and on and on there's little hatred for their football teams by the hockey fans compared to what you see here.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
I don't hate the Titans.
I just don't have their season scheduled to record like I do with the Preds.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Family loyalty FTW. My brother just recently signed a contract with the AUDL's Cincinnati Revolution as an (almost) birthday present... ;)

Was introduced to that sport in high school and love it. We wanted to play it every fall and spring whenever the weather was nice enough we had that much fun.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
Well let's see who on here hasn't pissed me off.

I was born and raised in Murfreesboro, obviously outside of the Davidson County intelligence zone. Many of my ancestors were original settlers of Fort Nashboro in 1780, and I am a tenth generation Tennessean. Six of my great-grandfathers fought for the South. I am a member of the SCV and SAR, past vice-president of the Rutherford County Historical Society, a proud Southerner, and always will be.

I went to MTSU on a baseball scholarship for my undergrad degree while turning down academic scholarship offers from several SEC and Ivy League schools. Went to Georgetown and Memphis State for Masters in Soviet Studies and then Masters in Finance. I don't consider myself 'ignorant'. Nor do I see an intelligence difference between any of the many places I've lived in the western world. I see differences in cultures and values, but not intelligence.

Just because people in the south like football, that doesn't make them ignorant. Go to STL for example, sports fans there stigmatize Blues fans there as being the rednecks and ignorant ones because they follow hockey. It's the same in most Northeastern cities as well, hockey fans are looked down upon by many other sports fans, just as some here seem to look down on football fans.

Last edited:

Mustard

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville
I don't know if I'd paint everyone outside of Nashville as not very smart just because they might not like hockey.

btw, it's "borders", not "boarders"...

I blame St. Patrick's day on the typo. Sorry folks, us Irish get the party started early.

And as a STH for both teams since the beginning, I would. The titans fanbase in general is.... quite... different. Don't mean that disrespectfully, just an observation

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Well let's see who on here hasn't pissed me off.

I was born and raised in Murfreesboro, obviously outside of the Davidson County intelligence zone. Many of my ancestors were original settlers of Fort Nashboro in 1780, and I am a tenth generation Tennessean. Six of my great-grandfathers fought for the South. I am a member of the SCV and SAR, past vice-president of the Rutherford County Historical Society, a proud Southerner, and always will be.

I went to MTSU on a baseball scholarship for my undergrad degree while turning down academic scholarship offers from several SEC and Ivy League schools. Went to Georgetown and Memphis State for Masters in Soviet Studies and then Masters in Finance. I don't consider myself 'ignorant'. Nor do I see an intelligence difference between any of the many places I've lived in the western world. I see differences in cultures and values, but not intelligence.

Just because people in the south like football, that doesn't make them ignorant. Go to STL for example, sports fans there stigmatize Blues fans there as being the rednecks and ignorant ones because they follow hockey. It's the same in most Northeastern cities as well, hockey fans are looked down upon by many other sports fans, just as some here seem to look down on football fans.

This is why I like 303.......

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
One thing I've noticed here is that the teams don't really support each other. I mean you might get the odd post here or there from one team to another, but not much. I'm pretty sure everyone knows I'm a Pittsburgh sports fan, so I follow them on social media and the 3 pro teams there really support each other. They constantly tweet at each other, wish each other luck in the playoffs or at the start of the season or for milestones. They work together and have days for city pride and people tweet/post pictures wearing any/all of the 3 teams' clothes. Players wear the other teams jerseys, show up at each others events, etc.

I see it with other cities with multiple teams as well. I just don't see that here. I think this past playoffs was the first time I have ever heard of the titans wishing the Preds luck. A few times I've seen the Preds say something about Vandy. I know players go to other games, but the organizations as a whole don't seem to suppert each other.

I think if the teams would work together more, it would help bridge that gap of people that just don't like one or the other because they weren't raised with it. Right now it's like the 2 barely want to acknowledge the other and want to be THE team in Nashville. There is no reason the fans of the 2 teams can't get along, or that people can't be fans of both. Obviously not everyone is going to like one or both teams, especially if they grew up with other teams or aren't familiar with the other sport. But I just think if the 2 teams were more friendly or unified in pride for the city it would help with the animosity of some of the fans.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
One thing I've noticed here is that the teams don't really support each other. I mean you might get the odd post here or there from one team to another, but not much. I'm pretty sure everyone knows I'm a Pittsburgh sports fan, so I follow them on social media and the 3 pro teams there really support each other. They constantly tweet at each other, wish each other luck in the playoffs or at the start of the season or for milestones. They work together and have days for city pride and people tweet/post pictures wearing any/all of the 3 teams' clothes. Players wear the other teams jerseys, show up at each others events, etc.

I see it with other cities with multiple teams as well. I just don't see that here. I think this past playoffs was the first time I have ever heard of the titans wishing the Preds luck. A few times I've seen the Preds say something about Vandy. I know players go to other games, but the organizations as a whole don't seem to suppert each other.

I think if the teams would work together more, it would help bridge that gap of people that just don't like one or the other because they weren't raised with it. Right now it's like the 2 barely want to acknowledge the other and want to be THE team in Nashville. There is no reason the fans of the 2 teams can't get along, or that people can't be fans of both. Obviously not everyone is going to like one or both teams, especially if they grew up with other teams or aren't familiar with the other sport. But I just think if the 2 teams were more friendly or unified in pride for the city it would help with the animosity of some of the fans.
Maybe. The various teams up here are all very cordial and friendly in that regard, but the animosity hasn't gone away entirely. Admittedly, it's not nearly as bad as it used to be (we no longer see regular Letters To The Editor in the Dispatch complaining about how all this blabber about some hockey team's free agency moves is taking away from post-spring practice coverage - I wish I was making that up) but it still shows up. :(

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

Same thing happens in Seattle. Anytime the Seahawks, Sounders or Mariners (lol) are involved in anything important, the teams hold nothing back on social media and actively support their city's teams. I don't know why this culture can't exist with sports in Nashville. It's something I've noticed for a long time. I'm a Chargers and Padres fan and the day Tony Gwynn passed away, the Chargers cancelled their previously planned event and many of the players and coaches went to his statue at Petco Park to take flowers and be with Padres fans. There is no support like this what so ever with the Preds and Titans. If I were to guess, the Titans are probably more to blame for this as they probably view us as a minor league team too small for their interest.

Last edited:

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Same thing happens in Seattle. Anytime the Seahawks, Sounders or Mariners (lol) are involved in anything important, the teams hold nothing back on social media and actively support their city's teams. I don't know why this culture can't exist with sports in Nashville. It's something I've noticed for a long time. I'm a Chargers and Padres fan and the day Tony Gwynn passed away, the Chargers cancelled their previously planned event and many of the players and coaches went to his statue at Petco Park to take flowers and be with Padres fans. There is no support like this what so ever with the Preds and Titans.

I think you are partially right. I had heard talks (during the previous Titans management's tenure that they wanted nothing to do with the city (as far as officials) nor the sports council. You see the Preds always in the mix with city. And I do think the Preds and Sounds and Preds and local colleges support each other. But for some reason the Titans want to be the kid that thinks he is too cool to talk to anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad