Waived: Subban on Waivers (Claimed by Vegas)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I don't know jack about goalie development. But I thought he showed flashes, and seemed to be developing into a beast before his injury.
I'm a little bummed out, probably because goalies are usually my favorite players. But it's not devastating for the organization.

rainone99

Dec 21, 2010
Montreal
What choice did they have? He certainly hasn't shown he's ready to be an NHL backup.

This is where I go Bananas on guys like Sweeney and Neely... I specifically started this post because I knew he'd get claimed off waivers. Guys, we are not winning the cup this year... why give away a 23-year-old, Khudobin should be the one on waivers, chances are he doesn't get claimed either... Why don't they do this with Beleskey instead??? Why are we always making the wrong decisions when it comes to who do we keep and who do we give away??

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Bruins took a gamble and it didnt paid off. If they see one they like in the future and draft them in the first round, I have no problem with it. Price, Rask, Fleury to name a few, have also been drafted in the first round.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
What choice did they have? He certainly hasn't shown he's ready to be an NHL backup.

Goaltenders take longer to develop. Add the injury he sustained and that pushes him back even further. They should have given him more time to develop now that he's healthy.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Subban isn't ready, and they need a solid backup to get into the playoffs again. They wouldn't have risked that for a chance on the future. I am fine with that because after some time you have to move on.

They want to give Beleskey another chance. Putting him on waivers will accomplish nothing and only will shatter his confidence even more. He is getting some games and then management will make further decisions how to go on with him in the future.

Reactions: smithformeragent

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Goaltenders take longer to develop. Add the injury he sustained and that pushes him back even further. They should have given him more time to develop now that he's healthy.

How is Subban supposed to develop being an NHL backup? He was in the AHL and still couldn't really get a handle on being the number #1 guy. He isn't NHL ready and couldn't be kept. The Bruins may not be winning the cup but they have playoff aspirations and they can't allow Subban to play in order to develop him and give away points. It's too bad we wasted a pick on him, and I'll eat crow if I'm wrong, but if he does become an NHL regular it won't be for another 3-5 years.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
This is where I go Bananas on guys like Sweeney and Neely... I specifically started this post because I knew he'd get claimed off waivers. Guys, we are not winning the cup this year... why give away a 23-year-old, Khudobin should be the one on waivers, chances are he doesn't get claimed either... Why don't they do this with Beleskey instead??? Why are we always making the wrong decisions when it comes to who do we keep and who do we give away??
If I thought Subban held strong potential to be a legitimate #1 NHL goalie, I might agree with you. Emphasis on might.

As it is, there is no question in my mind that Subban is not now a legitimate, reliable NHL backup for a team that should compete for playoffs this year. And so...... he goes to waivers and we face risk.

Using your approach we play Tuukka for 65-75 games this season. We've all seen how that doesn't work. But that's what we'd have to do to shield Subban because he's not ready. Sweeney had zero choice -- and although it does suck to lose his "potential", that is all we've lost.

Reactions: weaponomega

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Fact is, of the last 10 drafts, only one goaltender selected in the 1st round has emerged as a legit NHL goaltender.

ONE

I didn't like the pick when it was made, and if his name as Malcolm Smith instead of Malcolm Subban he doesn't get chosen in Round 1. He spent 5 years in the organization, 4 full year's in the AHL. He didn't make it here, remains to be seen if he does anywhere else.

He was chosen for his athletic ability, like his brother is known for.

Problem is, goaltending now is more technique, size, and positioning than it is athleticism. If you can find a goaltender that has ALL of these elements, you'd have a heck of a 'tender. Goalies at the NHL level are more puck-blockers now than puck-stoppers.

Subban isn't big, and could never overcome the technical and positional aspects of the game, those things are to a degree coach-able, and his natural athleticism wasn't enough to get him to the dance.

He probably would of been a tremendous goaltender......back in the 80s.

I don't see anything to get worked up over here. If he was a 2nd rounder and not a 1st less people would care. Good luck to Subban in LV, or where-ever he ends up next.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Subban didn't show anything but a couple of flashes in his time with the Bruins. He's not ready to be full-time back-up and with points at a premium the way they are , it's a chance the Bruins just can't afford tom take.

The rules say he has to go on waivers to go down and the Bruins took a chance he might squeak by, sadly it didn't work, he was claimed. My guess the Bruins are just as unhappy as most of us , losing a prospect for nothing , but that's how it goes .

It sucks to lose him this way but at the end of the day, I really don't see that Subban as anything more than a back-up if that, so I'm not gonna lose any sleep over this one .

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not a good move here. No reason for us to give up on a youngster. Hope this doesn't come back to haunt us ....

not good enough to crack the NHL roster, this is/was the risk, I dunno, has he even separated himself from the pack at the AHL level? Not from all I have read

gvkmedia

Let’s fight through this….
Mar 2, 2002
Kingsville
www.hollandbloorview.ca
Good luck Malcolm.
For those ragging on the B's for making the pick? Wasn't Pastrnak a bit of a stretch too? You win some, you loose some. Have to take swings in order to hit that home run. You're going to strike out sometimes.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Good luck Malcolm.
For those ragging on the B's for making the pick? Wasn't Pastrnak a bit of a stretch too? You win some, you loose some. Have to take swings in order to hit that home run. You're going to strike out sometimes.

I can`t recall 100% but I thought Pasta was picked close to where the experts felt he would be? Maybe a touch sooner but not to much to be called a reach?

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
Fact is, of the last 10 drafts, only one goaltender selected in the 1st round has emerged as a legit NHL goaltender.

ONE

I didn't like the pick when it was made, and if his name as Malcolm Smith instead of Malcolm Subban he doesn't get chosen in Round 1. He spent 5 years in the organization, 4 full year's in the AHL. He didn't make it here, remains to be seen if he does anywhere else.

He was chosen for his athletic ability, like his brother is known for.

Problem is, goaltending now is more technique, size, and positioning than it is athleticism. If you can find a goaltender that has ALL of these elements, you'd have a heck of a 'tender. Goalies at the NHL level are more puck-blockers now than puck-stoppers.

Subban isn't big, and could never overcome the technical and positional aspects of the game, those things are to a degree coach-able, and his natural athleticism wasn't enough to get him to the dance.

He probably would of been a tremendous goaltender......back in the 80s.

I don't see anything to get worked up over here. If he was a 2nd rounder and not a 1st less people would care. Good luck to Subban in LV, or where-ever he ends up next.

Great post. The global success rate for drafting goalies is laughably bad and unpredictable. I just spent a few minutes looking at what you said...it's crazy how few of those guys pan out. That draft was largely a miss anyway, so other Pearson and Skjei, there wasn't a lot of hits at or after Subban.

My hope is that the Subban experience (coupled with the McIntyre development) has cemented a philosophy within the Bruins organization that you're simply best served to draft a late round goalie virtually every year, and then let the cream rise to the top over time. If you're spending 5th, 6th and 7th round picks on goalies every year, you're likely going to hit on one every 5-7 years in my opinion. Grab a college bound kid that's going to be a horse for 4 years before you throw money at them.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

LV claimed Subban, but you don’t think they would have claimed Khudobin, who is better, and has started for stretches? Not sure I agree with this. Subban couldn’t beat out McIntyre, who had significantly better numbers in the AHL last year and has been a pro two years less.

I don’t get all the angst.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
LV claimed Subban, but you don’t think they would have claimed Khudobin, who is better, and has started for stretches? Not sure I agree with this. Subban couldn’t beat out McIntyre, who had significantly better numbers in the AHL last year and has been a pro two years less.

I don’t get all the angst.
some looking for something to cr** on DS for

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Was a dumb pick at the time that looks even worse now. Terrible.

The entire draft sucked. Even knowing how it's turned out, it wasn't a bad pick. Brendan Gaunce and Matt Finn were the two highest players on the board. Take a look at the 2012 draft.

Subban was a great pick, maybe if he didn't get the puck in the throat it would have worked out.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Good luck Malcolm.

From what I remember he was ranked in the late teen/early 20's but there were concerns over his size (frame not height).

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Sad to see him go. I'll always remember the day he was drafted, and as he donned the Bruins sweater, tears were rolling down his cheeks.

Great kid. I wish him nothing but success.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
I called Vegas taking him back before this lovely new board. Why? They aren't trying to be a great team, and he still has potential. They can afford that

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Bruins are kind to the league giving up their first rounders that they developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad