Waived: Subban on Waivers (Claimed by Vegas)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
What a bunch of jerks.

So what happens to Pickard and JF Berube?

Jerks? :laugh:

Did the Bruins make up the waiver rules for the NHL? I bet they tried to deal him, which is why he wasn’t sent down earlier, and couldn’t find any takers. He was passed on the depth chart by Z-Mac, so good luck to him elsewhere.

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
good luck Subban, was rooting for you but the reality is he has some major flaws in his game and I didnt see enough of the progression in his game at this point.

I watched him a bit in Providence and he did have his moments for sure, but on the flipside he also routinely did let in weak goals that were a result of poor positioning and technique. The mental side of the game he didn't figure out either which is lots of time the norm for young goalies. So maybe some time down the road he does figure it all out, but he doesnt look close to me or to be even on the path to that.

Now I know he also had a freaky injury too that derailed things but even before that the big question marks in his game were present and the progress wasnt really there. Maybe he gets back on track, I get it that his athleticism is his big selling point, but you really need a bigger foundation in technique, rebound control, positioning etc. to make it to a higher level of goaltending. Cant rely that heavily on one particular skillset if you are a goalie...just too hard of a position.

His terrible rebound control and pucks flying out of his glove hand were issues I saw when he first was in the system after being drafted and they are still very present issues now for him. I wanted to see more improvement and I didnt see it. Goalies develop on different paths so maybe when he hits 25-28 he will have it all figured out. Or maybe not?

I didnt like the pick at the time but accepted it and rooted for him to succeed. Just don't see it happening. Not losing any sleep over losing Subban.

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I find it very strange that Vegas would claim him. Since he's coming off waivers, doesn't that mean he has to be on their NHL roster? They already have Fleury and Pickard, both healthy, last I checked. Plus, they have as many as 10 NHL capable D, many on 1-way deals. Will be interesting to see how they manage their roster before 5pm today...

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
I find it very strange that Vegas would claim him. Since he's coming off waivers, doesn't that mean he has to be on their NHL roster? They already have Fleury and Pickard, both healthy, last I checked. Plus, they have as many as 10 NHL capable D, many on 1-way deals. Will be interesting to see how they manage their roster before 5pm today...

It does seem strange, either that have a deal worked out or their not sold on the Bruins claiming him if they waive him again. I'm not sure the Bruins would claim him either. The question is do the Bruins believe he is worth having Zane play less AHL games and Vladar in the ECHL again.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
They must have liked him in the expansion draft but were scared away by his expiring contract status.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Pickard was absolute junk last year in COL. Whether that's because of him or the state of the team may be unknown, but at this point I don't see him as anything other than MAYBE an average back up. Might as well roll the dice on Subban if you are LVK... nothing to lose.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Congrats to Subban. I loved what I saw of sitting behind him last week - calm, athletic when he had to be, and big.

Shows the depth of the system

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Zane-O and Vladar should be an interesting pairing in PRV. I just think Subban is now in a pretty ideal position for his development. He is essentially playing guaranteed back-up for a team that is not going to be under the gun to win. He will be given minutes and will be allowed to learn as he goes at the NHL level. That's a pretty big luxury to have. Then again, if he doesn't show any improvement in consistency...he could find himself on the waiver wire sooner than later.

xgallantx

Sold Soul for a Cup
Oct 2, 2006
Newfoundland
Not devastated about this, though I was rooting for the guy. Was always a poor pick in my opinion. Bruins were riding pretty high at the time and I think took the sexy/high profile pick instead of drafting for what was best for the organization. I clamored for Brady Skjei at the time. I think he would've been a very useful piece here. Good luck in LV or wherever you end up Subbie.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Pickard was absolute junk last year in COL. Whether that's because of him or the state of the team may be unknown, but at this point I don't see him as anything other than MAYBE an average back up. Might as well roll the dice on Subban if you are LVK... nothing to lose.

He was quite good for Canada at the World's, and they thought enough of him to pick him for that team.

But he's an average back-up, no question.

Problem is some (myself included) believe Khudobin is a below-average back-up.

Wonder if LV may have claimed Subban in order to package Pickard with one of their excess D-men to a team that could use both. Or maybe in a separate deal. McPhee seems to have a bit of a hoarding compulsion thus far in his LV GM tenure.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
He was quite good for Canada at the World's, and they thought enough of him to pick him for that team.

But he's an average back-up, no question.

Problem is some (myself included) believe Khudobin is a below-average back-up.

Wonder if LV may have claimed Subban in order to package Pickard with one of their excess D-men to a team that could use both. Or maybe in a separate deal. McPhee seems to have a bit of a hoarding compulsion thus far in his LV GM tenure.
Maybe we'll end up claiming a dman from them off waivers. I like Pickard, I think he has done decent in Colorado all things considered, I'd take him over Subban any day or Khudobin for that matter.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Not a good move here. No reason for us to give up on a youngster. Hope this doesn't come back to haunt us ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad