Waived: Subban on Waivers (Claimed by Vegas)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
I was never sold on Subban being an NHL caliber goalie. McIntyre is a much better prospect in my opinion.

Reactions: Strafer

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Montreal trolls the Bruins and picks him up. Price gets hurt and Subban becomes a monster for them....could happen.:headache:

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
much ado about nothing. this move was coming for weeks, and while subban has a ton of talent, he's not currently
ready to play in the NHL IMO. doubt anyone picks him up, meaning they need to keep him on an NHL roster.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
I could somebody taking him just to screw the B's out of a former 1st. Teams like Edmonton or Montreal could use him over their current backup. Who better to learn then from Carey Price himself?

Hope he doesn't get snagged though, I see him having a good year in Pro. and making an appereance either late in the year or the backup next season.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Taking a risk here. Hope he clears. I still think he has a ton of potential.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Subban was a ridiculously bad reach when they took him in the first round, and he hasn't developed. It's hard to get worked up over the risk of exposing a non-factor like Malcolm.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Subban was a ridiculously bad reach when they took him in the first round, and he hasn't developed. It's hard to get worked up over the risk of exposing a non-factor like Malcolm.

I don't remember if it was a reach (I thought he was considered a potential late 1st round pick, no?), but I hated the pick because I hate drafting goalies in round one. Felt like a wasted pick in the moment, especially since they had a young, number 1 goalie already. Unless they had him as a top 5 talent, stay away from the position that early.

I'd rather a team use all of their later rounds picks 5-7 to draft a bunch of goalies and see if any stick.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I hope he clears and has a strong year in Providence. He was a reach but I don't necessarily agree a bad one. taking a flyer on late first rounders who are boom or bust products isn't necessarily a bad thing. its not like there are a whole lot of people taken after him who are dominating the NHL.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I don't remember if it was a reach (I thought he was considered a potential late 1st round pick, no?), but I hated the pick because I hate drafting goalies in round one. Felt like a wasted pick in the moment, especially since they had a young, number 1 goalie already. Unless they had him as a top 5 talent, stay away from the position that early.

I'd rather a team use all of their later rounds picks 5-7 to draft a bunch of goalies and see if any stick.

Agreed, and yes he was projected to be a middle-late 1st round pick. Goalies are way too much of a crapshoot to draft in the first round, and we were in very good shape with Rask just starting his full-time career here. I remember the draft being pretty lackluster but that's no real excuse. He was a boom/bust from the start, too early to tell if he'll be either but there's a decent chance he gets claimed.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Goalies are always a waste of a high pick unless they are exceptional. In Subbans case, his technique has always been lacking and shouldnt have been picked at all. Terrible 1st rounds are killing us now with guys like Zboril, Subban, Senyshyn picked at least 50 spots too high

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
:sarcasm::sarcasm:I'm still upset that the leafs wasted the 21st overall pick in the 05 draft on some unknown athletic Finnish goalie...

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
:sarcasm::sarcasm:I'm still upset that the leafs wasted the 21st overall pick in the 05 draft on some unknown athletic Finnish goalie...
That exactly proves the point that there arr always good goalies available. Always, and they dont have much trade value.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hindsight being 20/20, it looks like a wasted pick now. It was a later first round pick (#24) and there's not a whole lot that came after I'm that upset over now (other than Skjei at #28 and Pearson at #30).

I'm sure the reasoning was, with upcoming big contracts, it was necessary to start grooming an affordable backup. We definitely saw that the last couple of seasons with how overworked Rask was and how unreliable the backup position was.

Subban didn't develop and there was a serious injury involved.

It was a calculated risk that didn't work out, or at least yet, if no one claims him.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

That is correct. He was considered a fringe first round pick. I personally considered it a reach because the position, like you point out, is not one that you typically waste a first rounder on because of the length of time it takes goalies to actually develop. So it wasn't a reach based on analyst projections, but to me, it was an odd pick given the spot they were in and the depth they had at the position.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Glad to see that Bruins management has the courage to potentially admit that a former 1st round pick was a mistake. I hope they can keep this trend up in the future.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
That exactly proves the point that there arr always good goalies available. Always, and they dont have much trade value.
Yes and no. TR was a first round pick and legitimately so. Toronto just sucked so bad for so long they didn't have patience to wait for the development. Instead they went with the RoY in Raycroft, who rumor had it wasn't even in plans for B's after falling off cliff the next year.

Can't count on stupid trade partners to come through every time although we more than did our part to return the Karma with Seguin return. Different circumstances though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->