Waived: Subban on Waivers (Claimed by Vegas)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
This looks like it might be one of those sure wish we had that to do over again moves.

There is absolutely no way this kid should have been dropped for nothing. Bad, bad move.
Are you ready to have MS as our backup for entire season? Think he's ready for that?

If answer to either is "no" then we're right back at what happened today.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
And apparently made no attempt to trade him. Really starting to get concerned. Just a total waste and it's not a new thing.

https://www.bruinsdaily.com/2017/10...malcolm-subban-before-placing-him-on-waivers/

The aww, shucks, in a perfect world mentality is frightening. Don has a grasp on prospects, so hopefully Subban is a bust. Otherwise what will happen with these other prospects.

Will have to be patient but I think this was a poor move given what we have left is a shaky Khudobin.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Are you ready to have MS as our backup for entire season? Think he's ready for that?

If answer to either is "no" then we're right back at what happened today.
I don't want him so much this year but was hoping this kid was our future number one. Foolish to lose him this way.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
The aww, shucks, in a perfect world mentality is frightening. Don has a grasp on prospects, so hopefully Subban is a bust. Otherwise what will happen with these other prospects.

Will have to be patient but I think this was a poor move given what we have left is a shaky Khudobin.
I'm not sure Don has a grasp on prospects and I highly doubt Subban is a bust. He's just too great an athlete not to succeed.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
E
If Subban stinks in his games perhaps Vegas passes at that point.
Exactly. Scenarios are easy.

1) We keep Subban as full time backup and he sucks: we sent him down and lose standings points in early season. No one grabs him.

2). We keep Subban and he's "ok" but not good enough. We waive to send down and Vegas (with first pick) grabs him anyway.

3). We keep Subban and he's good. Keep him as backup all season and we win gamble. B's mgmt thought that unlikely and most fans would agree. I didn't see many arguing he be full season backup.

4). We keep three goalies up. Horrible plan for a playoff contending team. Vegas can go that route but we can't.

5). We take risk and hope.

Only choice in my opinion is #5 and we lost roll of dice. Sucks, but in Cap world we're going to see more of that around League IMO.

Reactions: Sevendust

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I'm not sure Don has a grasp on prospects and I highly doubt Subban is a bust. He's just too great an athlete not to succeed.
Answer the question.

Are you ok with Subban being our full season backup NOW?

I ask that with us all knowing how great TR can be with lighter workload and how much he struggles without a competent backup to spell him regularly.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Subban wasn't going to be the backup goaltender this season anyway, to be honest. Maybe not even next year, or the year after that. I'm not sure I understand what the big frustration is here. Was it a waste of value? Sure, if you contend that Subban shouldn't have been drafted in the first round to BEGIN with.

It's a disappointment, but all things considered, with the strength of the team going forward, there's no reason that a trade for a quality backup goalie - or even a free agent acquisition down the road - couldn't be had. Besides that, K (Can't spell his name right and i'm not even gonna try right now) wasn't THAT bad last season. His first few games were atrocious, but they WERE under Claude. I doubt Subban would've played any better at the time. K played better under Cassidy though, so you gotta hope that this whole little "waste of value" isn't going to be anything significant down the road.

If Zane doesn't pan out in a year or so, then I'd be concerned.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I’m laughing at how far some posters are reaching to make this sound like anything more than it was...an AHL player who was no longer waiver exempt getting claimed by a weaker team taking a chance.

Constructive criticism is completely fine, but it continues to amaze me how far some will go to take shots at the organization. If you dislike the team that much, go be a “fan” of some other team and bring them your mirth and joy.

Reactions: Killerbeez

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I don't want him so much this year but was hoping this kid was our future number one. Foolish to lose him this way.
How many times you been on HF - I can name 4 user names but one of my buddies swears it's 8 or 9 times

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Did anybody really not see this coming?

Not necessarily the fact that he was claimed but more so the fact that he was waived actually surprised some?

No way Subban was going to be the backup this year at all with Khudobin here. Khudobin stepped up when the team needed him at the end of last season, he is miles ahead of Subban as far as an NHL caliber backup goes it isn't even debatable at this point at all.

I wish Subban luck but I have no idea what Vegas is doing with that claim, at this point it makes no sense to me at all.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
surprised he was taken off waivers. i guess vegas can play the long game with him and carry 3 goalies.
doesn't make much sense to me, but oh well. and who knows, maybe subban is on waivers again in the
next month. wouldn't be surprised at all.

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
pucks fly out of his glove hand...they did when he started here....they did his last game here. I wanted him to fix something like that by now..get it out of his game.

His rebound control is very bad and it causes chaos in front of the net and forces him to rely on his athleticism..sometimes it works...other times looks bad. It was like that after we drafted him and wanted to see some improvement in that area.

Positioning was bad when he first got here, let in goals he really should have had. Maybe this is from starting goalie at an older age or? I dont know but either way, his positioning has not improved that much.

Confidence after letting in a goal seems like a difficult task for any young goalie so not holding that too much against him but...if he let in a bad goal..more often than not the flood gates opened.

I wouldnt say Ive seen him a crazy number of times in Providence...maybe 40ish in his total P-Bruins career..so maybe I didnt get a close enough look but...there were games he played good, most of the time he looked awkward and I saw him put up quite a few ugly ones. Just seemed like a guy who continued to make the same mistakes over and over..he would make this brilliant save then let in one of his routine softie goals where you are left wondering what he was doing.

He needs to work on the real fundamentals of goaltending if he is gonna take the next step and I'd hope after the 125+ AHL games he played, he would show a little more improvement.

The development of goalies really is such a difficult science to figure out. Hope he puts it together, personality wise seems like a real stand up guy.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I think you're half right here. Once that date in November is set, then the original team that waived a player can reclaim them and send them down if they're the only team that bids. So I think you're right there.

I think, however, that if Vegas tries to send him down then Boston can reclaim him by priority, but they have to keep him on the NHL roster if they want to protect him from being claimed. That's how I understand it at least.

Nope. If LV tries to send him down he goes through the same waiver process- inverse order of standings (either last season or this depending on the date). There is no skipping or reordering based on original team. The CBA has the waiver process explicitly stated and nowhere in the CBA does it say the original team gets priority.
Read Article 13 (especially 13.19-13.22)of the CBA. It's pretty clear.

Also, LV cannot trade Subban until after the playoffs are over.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Yeah, but you can't have it both ways.

You can "hope" all you want but if he's not full time backup this season, guess what? Waivers.

No way B's carry three keepers and no way they should.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Bruins are kind to the league giving up their first rounders that they developed.

What would you have had them do? Waive dobby and run with subban as the backup? Or try to trade him? I doubt he has muck trade value honestly... he was probably 4th on the depth chart and has had short burst of potential but looked more like a bust than a gold mine.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
This looks like it might be one of those sure wish we had that to do over again moves.

There is absolutely no way this kid should have been dropped for nothing. Bad, bad move.
You should do some research on Sunk Cost Fallacy and how it applies here.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Man, some of us can whine about anything, huh? Subban was beyond terrible almost every game and we should have held onto him? For real?

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Subban was a ridiculously bad reach when they took him in the first round, and he hasn't developed. It's hard to get worked up over the risk of exposing a non-factor like Malcolm.

No, he wasn't. He was the top rated prospect goalie that year. He went 24th. Have you seen who went after him? There's like 8 players after him that have played any substantial NHL games. He didn't pan out, it happens. The NHL draft is a crap shot, and 2012 was a terrible draft pool. Only like 20 picks of the 1st round are still playing.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2012e.html

Read this...who did the Bruins miss out on? Chris Tierney? Tanner Pearson? That's who you are looking at that was drafted after Subban, that is still playing in the NHL.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
No real loss here boys. Wish him the best.

I agree Subban is no big loss and he will be on waivers again before the season is done. Hated this pick when they made it, I think they did it partly just to annoy a pro habs crowd. All that being said I wonder if they could have packaged Subban and C Miller to get Vegas to select Beleskey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad