Sharks roster discussion

What should the Sharks do at the trade deadline this season?

• Nothing. They're fine as they are.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trade whatever is necessary to add a blue-chip talent for a deep playoff run.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Make minor trades for depth, but don't give up a 1st or any top prospects.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Sell sell sell! This team is going nowhere and it's time to rebuild.

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
So Martin is back but he and Heed are out on defense. The right call. Just get Ryan some more icetime please.
No changes upfront as well. I still don't like the lines but what can you do...DeBoer is always gonna be in love with Karlsson.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Was going to say that's the wrong call, but then I saw who the poster was. :laugh:

Martin still might not be ready to go, but with everyone healthy, the right call would be dressing Martin and Heed and scratching Demelo and Ryan. Demelo is simply the 8th best defenseman on the team so he shouldn't be in the line-up. It'd suck that Ryan wouldn't get to play, but that's just the position he's in. He's a rookie and the only waiver eligible defenseman on the roster. He deserves a spot, but he has to ride the recall bus until they can trade others.

And I mean, the current line-up is the wrong decision regardless of health status. If Martin isn't ready yet, then it needs to be Heed and Ryan in.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Was going to say that's the wrong call, but then I saw who the poster was. :laugh:

Martin still might not be ready to go, but with everyone healthy, the right call would be dressing Martin and Heed and scratching Demelo and Ryan. Demelo is simply the 8th best defenseman on the team so he shouldn't be in the line-up. It'd suck that Ryan wouldn't get to play, but that's just the position he's in. He's a rookie and the only waiver eligible defenseman on the roster. He deserves a spot, but he has to ride the recall bus until they can trade others.

And I mean, the current line-up is the wrong decision regardless of health status. If Martin isn't ready yet, then it needs to be Heed and Ryan in.

Agreed but it may be possible that Heed is dealing with something they aren't talking about or still dealing with what put him on the shelf before. Probably not given the times he got burned but they can't keep out a producer on the blue line for very long even if they like DeMelo more than they maybe should.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Definitely. They're sending Ryan down as soon as Martin is able to go. It's just disappointing how little slack they give talented guys who maybe have a bad game or two.

You have to become a veteran to earn that slack. But you have to play games and not get benched to become a veteran. It's the DeBoer/Wilson catch-22 :sarcasm:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You have to become a veteran to earn that slack. But you have to play games and not get benched to become a veteran. It's the DeBoer/Wilson catch-22 :sarcasm:

I'm sorry but without the sophisticated language used when Joe Thornton scores a goal, I just can't take you seriously.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm sorry but without the sophisticated language used when Joe Thornton scores a goal, I just can't take you seriously.

Lo, it hath been proven most vociferously that in the most voluminous erudition of Peter deBoer that in order to accredit sufficient faith in a contest participant's ability to withstand the rigors wrought by transgressions of misapplied tactical decisions, one must demonstrate that they are in possession of a wealth of accumulated experience in such situations. However, in order to come into possession of that demanded amount of competence and perspicacity, said participants must be free to engage in a requisite and sufficient amount of contests necessary to agglomerate the complete proficiency that is demanded. Such is the paradoxical nature of the deBoer hypothesis.

Better?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Lo, it hath been proven most vociferously that in the most voluminous erudition of Peter deBoer that in order to accredit sufficient faith in a contest participant's ability to withstand the rigors wrought by transgressions of misapplied tactical decisions, one must demonstrate that they are in possession of a wealth of accumulated experience in such situations. However, in order to come into possession of that demanded amount of competence and perspicacity, said participants must be free to engage in a requisite and sufficient amount of contests necessary to agglomerate the complete proficiency that is demanded. Such is the paradoxical nature of the deBoer hypothesis.

Better?

Much.

Reactions: Sandisfan

corbanSOG

Registered Loser
Apr 27, 2003
I've seen some trade talk going on in multiple threads, and thought it'd be nice to bring the discussion into one place.

So, what do you think the Sharks should do leading up to the trade deadline? They're solidly in playoff position at the moment, but can they maintain it? What do they need to add to be a contender, and what price are you willing to pay?

The Sharks aren't looking as woeful offensively as they were earlier in the season, with Meier-Tierney-Donksoi developing into a solid 2-way 3rd line, and Labanc starting to pick it up, but their biggest need is still clearly a top-6 winger (or 2). Of all the players rumored to be available, MIke Hoffman would be my #1 target. I think he'd fit well on either of the Sharks' top 2 lines and provide a much-needed speed and goal-scoring threat. I don't think the Sharks get him without giving up one of Meier/Labanc and a 1st though, and I'm hesitant to do that. The Sharks have may only have 1 or 2 years of competitiveness left with this current core, and I'm reluctant to give up significant pieces of their future for what may be a futile pursuit.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Voted trade for blue chip talent but I would add within reason. No trading important young players but I'm fine with any picks and prospects going the other way as long as it's for a good fit. Also I would add that we should look to sell off some of our redundancies or square pegs while retaining depth. We have way too many bottom/middle six forwards and too many D. Package a few for a tweener who is a better fit and could add a scoring threat.

Captain Serious

Aug 20, 2010
I think trading for depth always tends to hurt us (Hansen and polak come to mind) and trading for futures will not get us anywhere because our scouting is trash.

Go for a blue chip guy, that seems to be the strategy DW has most luck with. I'd want guys like Drouin (even though I doubt he's available since bergevin wants to prove he made the right trade), Hoffman, Galechenyuk, or OEL. Think we should avoid guys like E. bKane and Duclair.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
I don't favor any of the poll options. Here's what i'd do if i'm DW. We need scoring depth. Available assets consist of Martin, Boedeker, Hansen and or Ward. DW won't deal picks or prospects or A Dell (my opinion).

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Did the NHL forget to give the Sharks 82 games this year? Feel like they're never paying haha and look at the standings and most of the NHL has played 4/5 more games than the Sharks... think after tonight some teams might have played 6 more games?

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
I voted for trading for blue chip talent, but I certainly wouldn't give up whatever necessary to do it. Normally I'm not a fan of rentals, but this seems to be the perfect time for a rental. We don't know where this team will be next year, much less 2 or 3 years down the line. We do know it's ranges from mediocre(a pessimistic view imo) to a pretty good team this year. I'd like to acquire a rental that could push us to being a very good team like Evander Kane. But i would not being willing to give up Meier to do it. More like Roy and our first.

Kane seriously seems like the perfect fit. He's a 1 year rental 1st off so shouldn't break the bank as far as future assets go. Sure you obviously have to give to get, but I may be willing to go as high as Roy, O'regan, and a 1st. I know that's higher than some would like to go, but I'm not particularly high on either prospect, and we all know our history of drafting in the 1st round. Also where is this team lacking? Even strength goals and that's where Kane excels as only 3 of his goals have come on the PP.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Did the NHL forget to give the Sharks 82 games this year? Feel like they're never paying haha and look at the standings and most of the NHL has played 4/5 more games than the Sharks... think after tonight some teams might have played 6 more games?

We have a bunch of back to backs down the stretch against well rested teams to make up for it.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
We have a bunch of back to backs down the stretch against well rested teams to make up for it.

Its sad. Tampa has 10 back to backs all season. Already done 6 of them in the 1st 3 months of the season with 4 more months to go.

Sharks have 14 back to backs, have only done 6 of them in the 1st 3 months.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I’m hoping Tavares doesn’t re-sign with NYI and DW will try to wine and dine him like he reportedly did with Stamkos. With Thornton, Ward, and Hansen’s salary coming off the books we should have enough cap space even with Tierney, Hertl, Vlasic, and Jones all getting raises. Ideally DW will be able to dump Martin and buyout Boedker to free up even more cap. I know it’ll never ever happen but let a guy dream.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I’m hoping Tavares doesn’t re-sign with NYI and DW will try to wine and dine him like he reportedly did with Stamkos. With Thornton, Ward, and Hansen’s salary coming off the books we should have enough cap space even with Tierney, Hertl, Vlasic, and Jones all getting raises. Ideally DW will be able to dump Martin and buyout Boedker to free up even more cap. I know it’ll never ever happen but let a guy dream.

For the last time,

THERE WERE ABSOLUTELY NO REPORTS OF DW WINING AND DINING STAMKOS. THE OFFICIAL REPORT FROM PIERRE LEBRUN WAS THAT MONTREAL TORONTO BUFFALO AND A FOURTH TEAM HAD MET WITH STAMKOS IN PERSON TO MAKE THEIR PITCH. ELLIOT FRIEDMAN PURELY SPECULATED THAT SAN JOSE WAS THE FOURTH TEAM AND LATER STARTED TALKING ABOUT HIS OWN SPECULATION AS FACT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad