Sharks roster discussion

What should the Sharks do at the trade deadline this season?

• Nothing. They're fine as they are.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trade whatever is necessary to add a blue-chip talent for a deep playoff run.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Make minor trades for depth, but don't give up a 1st or any top prospects.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Sell sell sell! This team is going nowhere and it's time to rebuild.

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
So here's our yearly 7 threads about how we can improve our roster and trade everyone despite it being one game!

Anyway if we are out of the playoffs at the deadline, do we move Thornton, Ward, and Hansen? Those are our only UFAs but we also have Hertl, Tierney, and DeMelo as the biggest RFAs.

If we do move Thornton, Ward, and Hansen, what do we get?

My guesses:
Thornton for a mid-late first+prospect (level depends on pick)
Ward for a 2nd-4th
Hansen for a 2nd+prospect

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Thornton gets moved only if he wants to go. I don't know if that will happen or not. If my interpretation of Hansen's clause is correct, he has an 8 team list when submitted and a full NTC otherwise. If that's the case, it'll be up to him whether he goes. With Ward, there's 24 teams to choose from. In terms of return value, Thornton is the one that can vary substantially based on how that all plays out. If he wants to go to just one place, that could kill his value. If he's open to numerous playoff teams, his value could be tremendous if he's somehow playing great while the team is being a seller (that's a far-fetched scenario imo). The other guy that could be rented is Aaron Dell depending on how the goalie market plays out. He'd likely only return something like a 4th or a 5th but it's still something I'd do if we are out of it. I like Dell and he's a solid backup but as an impending free agent, he's replaceable and they need all the lotto tickets they can get.

The other thing to look out for is guys like Pavelski and Couture. If the wheels fall off this season and they turn to sellers, they could easily ask out and possibly be obliged by DW given their trade clauses only allowing for three options. I think they're more likely to be off-season moves but it's still feasible that the players would open their options now while the playoff picture is more clear than it would be in the off-season.

The Great John Scott

#Trade4JohnScott
Aug 23, 2014
Trade everyone. Sign Labanc 8x10 and roll on the tank for years to come!

Edit: also Fire DW, Burke, coaching staff, etc.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Doesnt matter who we trade for picks when Burke will draft some big slow character guy with our high picks.
That's only firsts. I mean last draft we got Ferraro, Chmelvski and Chekhovich. The draft before we got Gregor. Balcers, Labanc, Chartier, Goldobin, Boudreau, and O'Regan all show that we have at least taken a chance on skill later in the draft. Still though Norris seems like a pretty good player that while he has limited upside seems like a pretty much sure fire NHL player so.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Doesnt matter who we trade for picks when Burke will draft some big slow character guy with our high picks.
Burke's getting with the times. He'll draft a fast, average sized, character guy...then use the 2nd and 3rd round picks on a big slow character guy.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Trade the Sharks' roster for the Pens' roster. But then with the Sharks' luck, Crosby gets another severe concussion and decides to retire. Malkin says "I hate San Jose" and bolts back to Russia.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
That's only firsts. I mean last draft we got Ferraro, Chmelvski and Chekhovich. The draft before we got Gregor. Balcers, Labanc, Chartier, Goldobin, Boudreau, and O'Regan all show that we have at least taken a chance on skill later in the draft. Still though Norris seems like a pretty good player that while he has limited upside seems like a pretty much sure fire NHL player so.

Too bad the first round is where the most talent is... it’s great to take chances with late picks but the odds of actually getting a first liner are slim to none.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Too bad the first round is where the most talent is... it’s great to take chances with late picks but the odds of actually getting a first liner are slim to none.
While I agree 100% that we need to make more chances in the first, we seem to have hit a few home-runs in the later rounds lately. Players like Balcers, Labanc look great

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
While I agree 100% that we need to make more chances in the first, we seem to have hit a few home-runs in the later rounds lately. Players like Balcers, Labanc look great

What exactly are you determining as home-runs for this topic?

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Dillon - at $3.3m in annual cap hit for a bottom pairing, and not a notable one in the NHL, I don't think there's much to get from a trade unless the Sharks take back some of the salary.

Pavs & Cooch - The M-NTC clause restricting any trade to three acceptable teams is going to limit a trade as well. Best bet is this year at the TDL, and hope for an acceptable team that is in need for playoffs. Otherwise, I don't see much trade value considering the 29-team veto power these two have will be carried over to their new team, and then it's just for one full season before UFA. If it is an off-season trade, it will have to be contingent on contract renegotiation.... more $$$ and less coming back in the trade. The window is closing on trading these two much like it did on Thornton and Marleau.

Jones - if he continues to have an average at best season, one would have to think DW will entertain trade offers. If so, Sharks would have been better off sticking with Riemer and save about $2.3m annual cap hit. The flip side of this is whether the Sharks have acceptable goalies in the pipeline. Not having any, and wasting resources on Stalock's development is what got them in to this position.

The only guys DW can get a 1st round draft choice for are Burns and Vlasic, if they agree due to M-NTC and NTC clauses. Even still, I doubt it will be a high draft choice, unless the team has traded for an additional 1st round from a bottom-dweller.

Next up for tradeable players are guys that probably should not be traded if rebuilding, the youth core like Hertl, Meier, Labanc, Donskoi, and a few others. However, I don't foresee any of those bringing in a 1st round pick.

DW is not in a good position at all, with the exception of still have $5m in the cap limit. But if it's rebuilding, that probably doesn't help much unless it's used for retaining salary for better youthful players and draft picks. This is largely DW's fault because he likes to trade away a bit of the future to go for it at the time. Keep doing this, the roosters come home to roost.

Overall, tanking in a good draft year is the way to go. Worked well for Toronto, Chicago, Pittsburg, and Edmonton (although they tanked often and they don't run the risk of losing STH like Sharks do).

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

In what world are Labanc or Balcers a home run?? Labanc had a good game, but let’s not get crazy. He wasn’t a difference-maker in the AHL in the playoffs and has a lot to prove. And Balcers hasn’t even played professional hockey yet! Home runs are Johnny Gaudreau and Jamie Benn. We haven’t even had an established top-6 forward from the second round onwards since, what, Pavelski?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
In what world are Labanc or Balcers a home run?? Labanc had a good game, but let’s not get crazy. He wasn’t a difference-maker in the AHL in the playoffs and has a lot to prove. And Balcers hasn’t even played professional hockey yet! Home runs are Johnny Gaudreau and Jamie Benn. We haven’t even had an established top-6 forward from the second round onwards since, what, Pavelski?
What exactly are you determining as home-runs for this topic?

Home runs wasn't the right word. I guess successes would be a better world. It's a success to get an NHL player past round 3.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Home runs wasn't the right word. I guess successes would be a better world. It's a success to get an NHL player past round 3.

And Balcers isn’t even an NHL player for sure yet. Literally every team in the league has Labanc and Balcers types.

I get what you were trying to say but how many times have we said the same things about Michal Sgarbossas and Taylor Dohertys? We have the worst prospect pool in the league, bar absolutely no one.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
And Balcers isn’t even an NHL player for sure yet. Literally every team in the league has Labanc and Balcers types.

I get what you were trying to say but how many times have we said the same things about Michal Sgarbossas and Taylor Dohertys? We have the worst prospect pool in the league, bar absolutely no one.
I'd say Balcers would be in the NHL if we didn't have the hope of him improving. If he was older, he would be. He definitely has the skill but should be playing top 6. Not saying we have a good prospect pool but I can think of few that have worse. Off the top of my head Kings only have that guy they drafted this year, Pens is awful, Habs are arguably worse but likely equivalent, Blackhawks and Rangers are almost definitely worse.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'd say Balcers would be in the NHL if we didn't have the hope of him improving. If he was older, he would be. He definitely has the skill but should be playing top 6. Not saying we have a good prospect pool but I can think of few that have worse. Off the top of my head Kings only have that guy they drafted this year, Pens is awful, Habs are arguably worse but likely equivalent, Blackhawks and Rangers are almost definitely worse.

You think Balcers would be in the NHL if he were older or we didn’t have hope that he could improve? Are you serious? What are you even trying to say? He’s not good enough to play in an NHL top-6 right now, not even close. We have no idea how he’ll adjust to professional hockey. Maybe in a year or two he’ll have a shot but gee wiz, you really are drinking the Balcers kool-aid.

True, the Kings don’t have anyone... except that guy who was a consensus top-5 pick last season and is twice as good as anyone in our system. The Pens have Sprong, the Rangers have Andersson and Chytil, are you for real? The Hawks have DeBrincat, who has far more upside than Norris or Roy or Rudolf Balcers. The Habs are pretty awful but their best prospects (Poehling, Juulsen, etc.) are better than Norris.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Sharks haven't drafted a top 6/top 4 potential player in like a decade. Hertl was a surprise. Timo's not doing much. Roy's broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad