Sharks roster discussion

What should the Sharks do at the trade deadline this season?

• Nothing. They're fine as they are.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trade whatever is necessary to add a blue-chip talent for a deep playoff run.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Make minor trades for depth, but don't give up a 1st or any top prospects.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Sell sell sell! This team is going nowhere and it's time to rebuild.

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I highly doubt Schlemko would be effective in Braun's role - he just was not that good defensively. IMO, this is a case where Braun is being under-rated and Schlemko overrated to suggest the difference wouldn't be that great. There is a reason that Schlemko has played 3rd pairing minutes + PP for different coaches and different teams.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
It's middle of December and you guys are still arguing about Schlemko. DW needs to hurry up and make a trade if only so that you'll have something else to talk about. Move on.
No arguing at all, I was just being a jerk going all "I told you so". I just had to step away from the boards because of the meltdown over losing Schlemko when it wasn't that big of a deal, and it turns out it really wasn't.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
If cooch is out id try

Karlsson-jumbo-pavs
Donskoi-hertl-labanc
Meier-tierney-ward
Sorenson-oregan-hansen

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
No arguing at all, I was just being a jerk going all "I told you so". I just had to step away from the boards because of the meltdown over losing Schlemko when it wasn't that big of a deal, and it turns out it really wasn't.

There was no meltdown about losing Schlemko. I don't know why people feel the need to exaggerate things just to make a point.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Be interesting to see how long Couture is out, the longer the greater the chance of some kind of deal for scoring depth. In looking at possible trade partners the Isles
need D perhaps and have excess scoring/future roster and or cap space to dump pending need to spend on Taveras next deal also.

I wonder if Ladd or Nelson are available. For P Martin
+- cap / low picks.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Be interesting to see how long Couture is out, the longer the greater the chance of some kind of deal for scoring depth. In looking at possible trade partners the Isles
need D perhaps and have excess scoring/future roster and or cap space to dump pending need to spend on Taveras next deal also.

I wonder if Ladd or Nelson are available. For P Martin
+- cap / low picks.

Ladd has perhaps the worst contract in the entire f***ing league and Nelson is hot garbage aside from scoring, according to Isles fans.

Reactions: Satastic

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Ladd has perhaps the worst contract in the entire ****ing league and Nelson is hot garbage aside from scoring, according to Isles fans.

To go along with it, Ladd has a full NMC this year and most players aren't inclined to waive that when they're on a playoff team during the season. And Nelson scoring is probably going to be a good enough reason to hang on to him while they're in the playoff mix so I don't see anything there with regards to a trade. I'd bet on the Sharks trading for the Sedins before trading for anyone on the Islanders.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

I don't like this.
The Danes should be back with Tierney...they were a pretty good 3rd line. Also, with Couture out, Meier, Donskoi and Labanc should be the top 6 wingers.

Something like that:

Meier, Hertl, Donskoi
Labanc, Thornton, Pavelski
Boedker, Tierney, Hansen
Sorensen, O'Regan, Karlsson
Ward

DeBoer should also consider the 11/7 system.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
There's no good reason to consider going to 7 defensemen. Given the team's limitations, that lineup is okay but not optimal. I don't know why you wouldn't have Meier on the top line and Donskoi with Hertl but I don't think the difference at this stage is that much.

Meier-Thornton-Pavelski
Karlsson-Hertl-Donskoi
Sorensen-Tierney-Labanc
Boedker/Ward-O'Regan-Hansen

But I'm sure they will keep Ward and Boedker in the lineup for veteran reasons even though Ward has 1 point in 11 games and Boedker has 1 point in 13 games but they'll probably bench Sorensen or O'Regan to make room for them. At least you can argue for Boedker due to injury but he's of no consequence regardless of injury.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
There's no good reason to consider going to 7 defensemen. Given the team's limitations, that lineup is okay but not optimal. I don't know why you wouldn't have Meier on the top line and Donskoi with Hertl but I don't think the difference at this stage is that much.

Meier-Thornton-Pavelski
Karlsson-Hertl-Donskoi
Sorensen-Tierney-Labanc
Boedker/Ward-O'Regan-Hansen

But I'm sure they will keep Ward and Boedker in the lineup for veteran reasons even though Ward has 1 point in 11 games and Boedker has 1 point in 13 games but they'll probably bench Sorensen or O'Regan to make room for them. At least you can argue for Boedker due to injury but he's of no consequence regardless of injury.

Karlsson is a killer for every top6 line. He may score a few goals but the better the opponents and the more he plays, the more stupid penalties he's gonna take. All because he's just not good enough. He's gonna get in trouble sooner or later. Possession is completely impossible with Karlsson on your line. You give him the puck you'll never get it back or he'll at least kill every advantage you may had. He's like the ultimate offensive black hole. All he can is playing against the puck and scoring goals. He should be on the 4th line and scratched when either Couture or Goodrow return. Karlsson playing in a top6 role has cost the Sharks quite a few points. His penalties and him killing momentum, possession and chances is freaking me out and driving me crazy. I like Karlsson but he's a pain to watch when misused.

Meier with the Joe's would be the ideal solution but the Joe's usually get the easier matchup's and more offensive zone starts so with Couture out, I'd rather have Labanc with them. I trust Meier and Donskoi a bit more than Labanc who's less responsible against the puck and can even be a turnover machine on a bad night.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Karlsson is a killer for every top6 line. He may score a few goals but the better the opponents and the more he plays, the more stupid penalties he's gonna take. All because he's just not good enough. He's gonna get in trouble sooner or later. Possession is completely impossible with Karlsson on your line. You give him the puck you'll never get it back or he'll at least kill every advantage you may had. He's like the ultimate offensive black hole. All he can is playing against the puck and scoring goals. He should be on the 4th line and scratched when either Couture or Goodrow return. Karlsson playing in a top6 role has cost the Sharks quite a few points. His penalties and him killing momentum, possession and chances is freaking me out and driving me crazy. I like Karlsson but he's a pain to watch when misused.

Meier with the Joe's would be the ideal solution but the Joe's usually get the easier matchup's and more offensive zone starts so with Couture out, I'd rather have Labanc with them. I trust Meier and Donskoi a bit more than Labanc who's less responsible against the puck and can even be a turnover machine on a bad night.

That exact criticism regarding dumb penalties is one that can be put at the feet of Kevin Labanc. He's been undisciplined all year and is generally poor at even strength whereas Karlsson is roughly decent. And Labanc really isn't much better when it comes to being a possession player. It's obvious that he has more offensive talent but holding onto the puck and passing at even strength isn't exactly a positive for Labanc right now. He is also a black hole offensively at even strength. And it's hyperbole to believe that Karlsson should be scratched for freaking Goodrow. That is a ridiculous stance to take and it's ridiculous to scratch him over guys like Boedker, Ward, and Hansen right now...even Sorensen. The other options are not better right now and probably won't be except maybe Labanc when he finally puts things together at some point but probably not this year.

Labanc with the Joes with Couture out is a mistake because the chances of them getting the easy matchups now that Couture is out is not good. They will try to get them easy advantages but it's going to be less than before until Hertl can show that he can carry a line and be dangerous. The chances of that happening with Karlsson AND Labanc on his wings are very small. That line is going to be protected as much as possible at this point.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
That exact criticism regarding dumb penalties is one that can be put at the feet of Kevin Labanc. He's been undisciplined all year and is generally poor at even strength whereas Karlsson is roughly decent. And Labanc really isn't much better when it comes to being a possession player. It's obvious that he has more offensive talent but holding onto the puck and passing at even strength isn't exactly a positive for Labanc right now. He is also a black hole offensively at even strength. And it's hyperbole to believe that Karlsson should be scratched for freaking Goodrow. That is a ridiculous stance to take and it's ridiculous to scratch him over guys like Boedker, Ward, and Hansen right now...even Sorensen. The other options are not better right now and probably won't be except maybe Labanc when he finally puts things together at some point but probably not this year.

Labanc with the Joes with Couture out is a mistake because the chances of them getting the easy matchups now that Couture is out is not good. They will try to get them easy advantages but it's going to be less than before until Hertl can show that he can carry a line and be dangerous. The chances of that happening with Karlsson AND Labanc on his wings are very small. That line is going to be protected as much as possible at this point.

Karlsson shouldn't be on Hertl's line. If they put Hertl with Meier and Donskoi that would give the Sharks a solid line able to shut down everybody with the potential of having the puck a lot. The three of them may not be elite scorers but they're very strong on the puck.

Tonights game is at home anyway. DeBoer has last change.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Karlsson shouldn't be on Hertl's line. If they put Hertl with Meier and Donskoi that would give the Sharks a solid line able to shut down everybody with the potential of having the puck a lot. The three of them may not be elite scorers but they're very strong on the puck.

Tonights game is at home anyway. DeBoer has last change.

And in that situation, Karlsson should be on the Joes line over Labanc because he's playing better at evens than Labanc is. And last change only goes so far when it comes to matchups.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I don't know if this part was on TV, but Dillon probably asked Burmistrov to fight. It was early in the first period, Burmistrov didn't seem like he wanted to fight and Dillon didn't want to push it.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I don't know if this part was on TV, but Dillon probably asked Burmistrov to fight. It was early in the first period, Burmistrov didn't seem like he wanted to fight and Dillon didn't want to push it.

I love guys who take cheap shots at guys heads and give them concussions but won’t engage in a legal fight. I generally don’t think players are ever obliged to fight but if you pull the bullshit Burmistrov did you should step up.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I love guys who take cheap shots at guys heads and give them concussions but won’t engage in a legal fight. I generally don’t think players are ever obliged to fight but if you pull the bull**** Burmistrov did you should step up.

I totally posted this in the wrong thread, lol. I looked up Burmistrov's fight card and found this and couldn't stop laughing.

Apparently he has a history of pissing people off. KHL hockey is hilarious.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
I love guys who take cheap shots at guys heads and give them concussions but won’t engage in a legal fight. I generally don’t think players are ever obliged to fight but if you pull the bull**** Burmistrov did you should step up.

Look up the video on youtube, looks like a minor interference call, if that, Couture kind of just ran into Burmi's shoulder.....this happens with all "bent over low skating" forwards.......still Burmistrov? lol

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Look up the video on youtube, looks like a minor interference call, if that, Couture kind of just ran into Burmi's shoulder.....this happens with all "bent over low skating" forwards.......still Burmistrov? lol

Yeah you are tottaly right burmistrov did not throw his shoulder into coutures head.

Only us shark fans can't see how burmistrov throwing a hit on a player that wasn't even 20 feet from the puck isn't even worth a minor penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->