Sharks roster discussion

What should the Sharks do at the trade deadline this season?

• Nothing. They're fine as they are.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trade whatever is necessary to add a blue-chip talent for a deep playoff run.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Make minor trades for depth, but don't give up a 1st or any top prospects.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Sell sell sell! This team is going nowhere and it's time to rebuild.

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
I can't see them because of that reason. Boedker produced for them in a sheltered role but routinely gave up more on the other end. I could see them wanting him to help reach the floor since they would only have to pay him 3 mil to count 4 mil onto the cap but I don't think it's going to be appealing for them because of how he played there. It wasn't all that good.
I thought he was pretty decent there. Either way, I think duclair would be a good add if he could be had for a reasonable price. O'Regan and a second I'd do. I'd be hesitant to trade Ryan or heed, but I'd probably pull the trigger. Ryan + Boedker for duclair + a late pick would be decent.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
We already have too many players who are near Duclair's level offensively that look like they just need more ice time to break out.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
I thought he was pretty decent there. Either way, I think duclair would be a good add if he could be had for a reasonable price. O'Regan and a second I'd do. I'd be hesitant to trade Ryan or heed, but I'd probably pull the trigger. Ryan + Boedker for duclair + a late pick would be decent.

How about melker + 2nd 2019?

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Who exactly are you referring to?

Boedker, Hansen, Tierney, LaBanc, off the top of my head. Boedker and Hansen more specifically. Both of them already have seasons near Duclair's best but have not been scoring lately. In the same vein, Duclair had one very good season and then totally fell off offensively. I'm of the opinion that if we're acquiring a forward, it had better be a bonafide scorer that won't pull a Boedker/Hansen when they get here simply because they have too much talent to do so. I don't think Duclair is that.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Boedker, Hansen, Tierney, LaBanc, off the top of my head. Boedker and Hansen more specifically. Both of them already have seasons near Duclair's best but have not been scoring lately. In the same vein, Duclair had one very good season and then totally fell off offensively. I'm of the opinion that if we're acquiring a forward, it had better be a bonafide scorer that won't pull a Boedker/Hansen when they get here simply because they have too much talent to do so. I don't think Duclair is that.

In Duclair's case, I believe there's room for him to grow. I don't think any of the four that you mention have the same goal scoring talent that Duclair has. Boedker, Tierney, and Labanc are a lot more like playmakers than they are goal scorers and I think someone like Duclair with how he plays would actually make guys like Tierney and Labanc even better because I think he would compliment their skills pretty well. I think Boedker isn't going to get it turned around on a consistent basis here. Hansen's probably going to walk regardless of what happens to him this season.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
How many Sharks games have you watched this year and last? Braun's pairing has fallen off a cliff since the start of last season. That can be mostly attributed to a decline in Vlasic's play but Braun hasn't exactly been himself either. His advanced statistics also look fairly poor this year and last.

Almost every game. And while almost every player on the Sharks has had at least one bad stretch during the season so far, Braun has not looked that bad to me. Again, considering that he is playing top-pairing defensive minutes against other teams best players EVERY night and is paid less than $4 mil. Add in the offense he is providing and sorry, I just don't see any reason to move him.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
We already have too many players who are near Duclair's level offensively that look like they just need more ice time to break out.
Duclair is still on/around a 20 goal pace with limited minutes. He has the same amount of goals as Timo does in 6 less games with the same ATOI. Boedker, Hansen, Melker, ward, are all less useful to us than Duclair would be.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
I was looking int he Trade forums, for some laughs, and I saw a thread that I didn't know how to respond to. It is one about the Sharks 5 most valuable assets (including contract length/value).

Who do you guys think would have the most value if the Sharks were to sell off their top 5 right now?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I honestly have no clue, but I don’t think Vlasic should be up there. Sharks don’t have a lot of overly valuable players, contracts included.

I’d say:

Couture
Hertl/Burns
Jones
Pavelski

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I honestly have no clue, but I don’t think Vlasic should be up there. Sharks don’t have a lot of overly valuable players, contracts included.

I’d say:

Couture
Hertl/Burns
Jones
Pavelski

I don't know. I think Montreal might do something like Galchenyuk+top-5 protected 1st for Vlasic

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017

I’d say:

Couture
Hertl/Burns
Jones
Pavelski
Jeez, chill on the pickles hate. Even if he's having an off year by his standards, I'd be willing to bet teams would be lining up for him.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
On a side note, I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I'd like SJ to take a flier to Jagr. Besides the fact that it would be awesome seeing jagr in a sharks sweater, I think he could see a resurgence playing with the Joes, although Timo has looked good there. Plus, I'm sure he could mentor Hertl and maybe improve his game.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Jeez, chill on the pickles hate. Even if he's having an off year by his standards, I'd be willing to bet teams would be lining up for him.

Declining 31 year old defensive defensemen on massive contracts aren’t worth that much. How much would you give for Duncan Keith right now? How about Shea Weber? Vlasic isn’t just having an off-year. People jumped through hoops to make excuses for Vlasic’s poor play last year. Braun, speculative injury, tough deployment, you name it. He hasn’t bounced back. Why does Vlasic get endless excuses?

I love Vlasic. I was a huge Vlasic supporter back in the day when Vlasic vs. Murray was a legitimate debate. Vlasic was a fancy stats darling before he was recognized as a star. And Vlasic was our most important player in the 2016 Cup Finals run along with Pavelski. You have to trust me, I don’t want Vlasic to be declining this severely and I REALLY don’t hate him.

I don't know. I think Montreal might do something like Galchenyuk+top-5 protected 1st for Vlasic

Propose that on the Trade forums. See how the goes.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
@Juxtaposer

Montreal gave up a 26 year old PK Subban for a 30 year old Shea Weber.

I honestly don't know if they would do that trade. But I know Montreal has a history of heavily prioritizing French speaking players, I know their GM is an idiot (the same one who already made that horrible deal for a 30 year old Weber), and I know their second biggest need is a top pairing LHD. Maybe I suggested an overpayment, but I have no doubt there are at least 5 GMs who would pay right now for Vlasic something very similar to what they would have paid 2 years ago because they don't know about his horrible decline (which I agree with you that he's going through).

Reactions: Juxtaposer

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Did Vlasic get a concussion/TBI when he got hit by the puck on Gostisbehere's shot in Dec 2016? I always wondered about that. I can't remember if that was the start of his recent decline or if his decline preceded that.

IAE, if this is his second (or third) TBI, his prognosis for full recovery is not nearly as good as if he only had one. Either way, a concussion could mess up almost anything related to his play (skating, judgment - especially at speed, timing, passing, etc.) but if the decline preceded any TBI, it might be a contributing factor but clearly not the sole cause of his decline.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Did Vlasic get a concussion/TBI when he got hit by the puck on Gostisbehere's shot in Dec 2016? I always wondered about that. I can't remember if that was the start of his recent decline or if his decline preceded that.

IAE, if this is his second (or third) TBI, his prognosis for full recovery is not nearly as good as if he only had one. Either way, a concussion could mess up almost anything related to his play (skating, judgment - especially at speed, timing, passing, etc.) but if the decline preceded any TBI, it might be a contributing factor but clearly not the sole cause of his decline.

Tbh, you could probably look at his CF% numbers before and after and find out if there was a serious difference between his numbers before and after. I know CF% obviously isn't always the best way to judge a player but I've never seen a player's tank in overall performance by my eye test go hand in hand with their tank in CF% that Vlasic's did. Vlasic has historically been one of the best CF% players in the league (I believe he's top 10 or close in XGF% amongst all players since 2008 or something like that) and he was pretty bad last year and only worse this year.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
On a side note, I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I'd like SJ to take a flier to Jagr. Besides the fact that it would be awesome seeing jagr in a sharks sweater, I think he could see a resurgence playing with the Joes, although Timo has looked good there. Plus, I'm sure he could mentor Hertl and maybe improve his game.

Id be ok with this, mainly just as a Hertl mentor. I think hes finally done this year, so dont really see much value added to the team by getting him, but with Jagr, you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad