Rumor: Rumours & Proposals - (Chia discussion will be met with a threadban at minimum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I don't think either of these things are true.

LHD- Nurse/Sekera/Russell/Klefbom/Davidson/Auvitu. RHD- Larsson/Benning

We are extremely deep on the left side. I don't see how trading from an area of depth to fill an area of need is a bad idea, and yes Klefbom still holds a lot of trade value.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well then this thread isn't for you. If you just can't help yourself, the rules of the thread stipulate that you aren't welcome here. There are multiple threads on this board for you to piss and moan on. This isn't one of them.
It's very easy to say that we could trade Klefbom for OEL but that's highly unrealistic even if we add to the pot. I don't have realistic trade ideas and I don't think anyone does. Just because we like the idea doesn't mean the other team does. Not a lot of our players hold a lot of value outside of the three centers and Nurse. And f*** trading any of those.

There's honestly so many problems with this roster right now I don't even know where to begin. You stick with Talbot for another year, upgrade the defense and wings, and hopefully not hamstring the cap in the process.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

We are extremely deep on the left side. I don't see how trading from an area of depth to fill an area of need is a bad idea, and yes Klefbom still holds a lot of trade value.
Only Nurse is playing like a top 4 D right now. Russell marginally so. Sekera is not. Klefbom is not. And the last two won't ever be top 4 D. You only trade Klefbom if there's a better defenseman coming back.

Personally I'd trade Russell (lol NMC) or Sekera (lol NMC) before Klefbom but that's just me and I don't think either of those guys gets you much. Just having a lot of filler doesn't mean the Oilers are deep.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Very deep? The Oilers have Nurse who may or may not be a legit top 4 (probably is but small sample size), Larsson who is a solid 2/3, Sekera who we have no idea if he will return to previous form, Russell who is a bottom pairing Dman, Davidson another bottom pairing Dman and Benning who might or might not be an NHLer.

The Oilers future is still heavily dependent on Klefbom developing properly and if they do deal him, they better damn well make sure they are maximizing his value and have a Dman contingency plan in place.

Klefbom doesn't get dealt unless we have add a top 3 RHD who can put up some points. That doesn't mean it's Klefbom who would have to be dealt for said player. Klefbom could go for a forward and RNH for that defenseman as an example.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Because bleeding talent from areas of (perceived) strength to fill other holes has worked out soooo well for us so far.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Klefbom doesn't get dealt unless we have add a top 3 RHD who can put up some points. That doesn't mean it's Klefbom who would have to be dealt for said player. Klefbom could go for a forward and RNH for that defenseman as an example.

And why do you assume the players coming in would be significant upgrades on the players going out? What in our team's recent history would lead you to believe we are capable fo winning a trade or even identify the needs?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's very easy to say that we could trade Klefbom for OEL but that's highly unrealistic even if we add to the pot. I don't have realistic trade ideas and I don't think anyone does. Just because we like the idea doesn't mean the other team does. Not a lot of our players hold a lot of value outside of the three centers and Nurse. And **** trading any of those.

There's honestly so many problems with this roster right now I don't even know where to begin. You stick with Talbot for another year, upgrade the defense and wings, and hopefully not hamstring the cap in the process.
It's also very easy not to, GK. Because it's not realistic. It's difficult to build a deal that's mutually beneficial for both team, but it's not impossible. In reality there are A LOT of players in the NHL that 'don't hold a lot of value' because they're performing poorly, becoming waiver eligible, buried in depth, have a troublesome contract, etc, etc. We're not the only team struggling in the NHL.

This team isn't due for a huge turnover. The team we see this year, will need to improve substantially on its improvement this season to get back into the mix. Klefbom, Talbot and RNH are likely going nowhere because replacing them will likely take the same amount of cap space minimum and no one's handing us replacements free of charge.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I think that's shuffling deck chairs to be honest and does this RHD have as desirable a contract as Klef does?

At some point, the Oilers need to upgrade, not Rob Peter to pay Garth err I mean Paul. If they are dealing Klefbom, go all in, include him in a bigger package for a #1 Dman (McDonagh, Karlsson if it's really big, even OEL if Arizona is willing to bite). Otherwise, there's no reason to trade him now. It's not like his contract is an anchor. His pedigree dictates that this is an off year and that he will rebound, same with Talbot, Larsson and others.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Because bleeding talent from areas of (perceived) strength to fill other holes has worked out soooo well for us so far.

What trade are you referring to? When Hall was dealt we were very thin on LW. Pouliot or Maroon were our 2nd and 3rd
best LW at the time. Sure we signed Lucic after that but it's not like we were extremely deep at LW. It sure worked out last year though, as we were a game away from starting the WC final at home. Eberle for Strome? That was a RW for a RW. That's not trading from an area of strength to fill an area of weakness at all.

And why do you assume the players coming in would be significant upgrades on the players going out? What in our team's recent history would lead you to believe we are capable fo winning a trade or even identify the needs?

Chia is actually very good at identifying what ingredients his teams have needed over the years.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
All signs point to Klefbom being traded soon. It makes me sick to my stomach thinking that Chiarelli will be allowed to trade another great player for nothing.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's also very easy not to, GK. Because it's not realistic. It's difficult to build a deal that's mutually beneficial for both team, but it's not impossible. In reality there are A LOT of players in the NHL that 'don't hold a lot of value' because they're performing poorly, becoming waiver eligible, buried in depth, have a troublesome contract, etc, etc. We're not the only team struggling in the NHL.

This team isn't due for a huge turnover. The team we see this year, will need to improve substantially on its improvement this season to get back into the mix. Klefbom, Talbot and RNH are likely going nowhere because replacing them will likely take the same amount of cap space minimum and no one's handing us replacements free of charge.
You're right, we're not the only team struggling, but the Oilers have always been a special case. We've been so bad for so long and even 10 years later we're still suffering from the exact same problems that we have for so many years. And every team in the NHL knows we need better defensemen (yet again), that's why we had to pay such a premium just to acquire Larsson. To add to that, the Oilers have precious few assets with in which to acquire better players. Very few blue chip prospects (Yamamato might honestly be the only one), can't trade the picks because they're so high, and most of our players are players we'd like to keep or on undesirable contracts. The Oilers are in a very precarious situation and with limited cap space next year there's not a whole lot we can do unless we shed salary, which leads into the problem I just addressed. Ideally you shed Lucic and Russell, but both are hard to move and have NMCs to boot. Not to mention I don't see Chia giving up on his prized acquisition so soon.

I look at this roster and there's so much dead weight taking up space, especially at forward. After McDavid/Drai/RNH I hold no attachment to anyone on forward. Maybe the roster doesn't need a huge turnover but after those three nothing really sticks out. Maybe Maroon but he's likely to be sent away because we can't afford him.

The defense isn't really that much better. Management has done a decent job keeping their prices low but you can't be paying so many guys 4+ million dollars (and Nurse is likely to be added to that), especially when they've for the most part had another dreadful year. The worst part is that the entire top 4 is signed for at least 4 years and some of them beyond that, which wouldn't be a problem if they weren't, you know, terrible.

And then there's the goaltending. You can't give up on Talbot this year. Yes he's had a poor year. You pray to the hockey Gods he bounces back otherwise we're back to square one, because there isn't a better option on the market and there certainly isn't one in-house.

Years and years of inability to draft and develop has led us to this moment. We can't afford upgrades and our young players aren't good enough to play full-time minutes in key roles. The cupboards are not only bare in the minors, they're pretty bare with the big club too. Without McDavid this is without a doubt a last place team with a frightening cap situation and a startling lack of talent in almost all positions.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
All signs point to Klefbom being traded soon. It makes me sick to my stomach thinking that Chiarelli will be allowed to trade another great player for nothing.
Signs? You mean that article written by the fourth period?

If anything, Sekera's the more likely one to move.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You're right, we're not the only team struggling, but the Oilers have always been a special case. We've been so bad for so long and even 10 years later we're still suffering from the exact same problems that we have for so many years. And every team in the NHL knows we need better defensemen (yet again), that's why we had to pay such a premium just to acquire Larsson. To add to that, the Oilers have precious few assets with in which to acquire better players. Very few blue chip prospects (Yamamato might honestly be the only one), can't trade the picks because they're so high, and most of our players are players we'd like to keep or on undesirable contracts. The Oilers are in a very precarious situation and with limited cap space next year there's not a whole lot we can do unless we shed salary, which leads into the problem I just addressed. Ideally you shed Lucic and Russell, but both are hard to move and have NMCs to boot. Not to mention I don't see Chia giving up on his prized acquisition so soon.

I look at this roster and there's so much dead weight taking up space, especially at forward. After McDavid/Drai/RNH I hold no attachment to anyone on forward. Maybe the roster doesn't need a huge turnover but after those three nothing really sticks out. Maybe Maroon but he's likely to be sent away because we can't afford him.

The defense isn't really that much better. Management has done a decent job keeping their prices low but you can't be paying so many guys 4+ million dollars (and Nurse is likely to be added to that), especially when they've for the most part had another dreadful year. The worst part is that the entire top 4 is signed for at least 4 years and some of them beyond that, which wouldn't be a problem if they weren't, you know, terrible.

And then there's the goaltending. You can't give up on Talbot this year. Yes he's had a poor year. You pray to the hockey Gods he bounces back otherwise we're back to square one, because there isn't a better option on the market and there certainly isn't one in-house.

Years and years of inability to draft and develop has led us to this moment. We can't afford upgrades and our young players aren't good enough to play full-time minutes in key roles. The cupboards are not only bare in the minors, they're pretty bare with the big club too. Without McDavid this is without a doubt a last place team with a frightening cap situation and a startling lack of talent in almost all positions.
You see it as lack of depth, I see it as under-performing. That's where that conversation ends. You've seen the same roster perform well. Jordan Eberle wasn't the difference maker.

The main priority at this deadline should be to address the lack of NHL ready-prospects in our system. We need several of them in the system this year to compete for several spots on next year's roster because the McDavid contract signals less salary being spent in those depth positions. The return on Patrick Maroon, Mark Letestu and Anton Slepyshev should be young NHL-ready talent, not draft picks. We should be targeting reclamation projects. Trading away under-performing players isn't how a team gets better.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Who's going to take on 4 years at 5.5 for a guy having an awful season coming off an injury? And with an NMC to boot.
Who would trade for Andrej Sekera? A number of teams, more than likely. Especially ones who might have a player with a similar unwanted contract playing a position that may help us more than they help their current team.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
What trade are you referring to? When Hall was dealt we were very thin on LW. Pouliot or Maroon were our 2nd and 3rd
best LW at the time. Sure we signed Lucic after that but it's not like we were extremely deep at LW. It sure worked out last year though, as we were a game away from starting the WC final at home.

The defense behind the Hall trade was that we had plenty of scoring up front and could part with some to shore up the D.

Chia is actually very good at identifying what ingredients his teams have needed over the years.

I'm going to disagree wholeheartedly and leave it at that.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Stauffer has been hinting at it for weeks. He did the same thing before Hall and Eberle we're traded.

At what point leading up to the trade deadline do you start carrying around a vomit bag and adding adult underwear to your daily attire? It must be tough not knowing when the great young player for nothing trade will happen.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
The defense behind the Hall trade was that we had plenty of scoring up front and could part with some to shore up the D.

I'm going to disagree wholeheartedly and leave it at that.

And what happened the season immediately following that trade? Our goals per game went way up and our goals against way down. We are still scoring more as a team right now than any Oilers team that had Hall on it. Our special teams and goaltending has let us down big time this year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You see it as lack of depth, I see it as under-performing. That's where that conversation ends. You've seen the same roster perform well. Jordan Eberle wasn't the difference maker.
Underperforming? Most of the forwards are doing about as well if not better than last year:

McDavid: (23G, 55GP this year, 30G, 82GP last year)
Draisatl: (16G, 51 GP this year, 29G, 82GP last year)
RNH (16G, 46GP this year, 18G, 82GP last year)
Lucic: (9G, 55 GP this year, 23G, 82GP last year)
Maroon: (14G, 53GP this year, 27G, 81GP last year)
Drake: (8G, 42GP this year7G, 60 GP last year)
Slepyshev: (3G, 25 GP this year, 4 G, 41GP last year)
Khaira: (8G, 42 GP this year 1G, 10GP last year)
JP: (9G, 38GP this year, 1G, 28GP last year)
Pakarien: (1G, 24GP this year, 2G, 24GP last year)
Letestu: (8G, 54GP this year, 16G, 78GP last year)
Kassian: (6G, 54 GP this year, 7G, 79GP last year)

Maroon, and especially Letestu/Lucic have fallen back this year. It was expected of the first two, but only Lucic has really spiraled.

I've said my piece about Eberle in countless other places. I'll just re-iterate that it was him and all the other players let go that really hurt the team. They've dropped about 45 goals and added not even half of that in the offseason. There are no goal scoring threats on the wings besides Maroon.

The main priority at this deadline should be to address the lack of NHL ready-prospects in our system. We need several of them in the system this year to compete for several spots on next year's roster because the McDavid contract signals less salary being spent in those depth positions. The return on Patrick Maroon, Mark Letestu and Anton Slepyshev should be young NHL-ready talent, not draft picks. We should be targeting reclamation projects. Trading away under-performing players isn't how a team gets better.
I don't disagree but good luck convincing GMs that those players are worth prospects. Maroon might, MIGHT grab you a B prospect, no chance the other two do.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
And what happened the season immediately following that trade? Our goals per game went way up and our goals against way down. We are still scoring more as a team right now than any Oilers team that had Hall on it. Our special teams and goaltending has let us down big time this year.

Yeah Connor McDavid is a helluva drug. Covers up a lot of warts.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

To add more detail to this, Stauffer said on his show today (and Spector confirmed) that while Chiarelli was scheduled to attend this game, he was NOT there. Stauffer wouldn't say where he was, gave an excuse that he wasn't allowed to divulge Chiarelli's whereabouts on his show at this time of year.

Something came up? Or maybe he followed his GPS into one of the great lakes, pulled a Michael Scott?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad