Rumor: Rumours & Proposals - (Chia discussion will be met with a threadban at minimum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Anybody know the way to the Rumours & Proposals thread? This doesn't appear to be it.

Last edited:
Reactions: dawunderboy

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Why is it irrelevant? Eberle's just doing what he's always done, produce points. He did it on some of the worst teams the NHL has ever seen and he's doing it again. But alright, let's have it your way then.

Eberle: 20 goals
Pouliot: 8 goals
Hendricks: 4 goals
Pitlick: 8 goals
DD: 2 goals

That's still 42 goals subtracted. And replaced with (using last year's numbers):
Cammalleri/Jokinen (21 goals between the two of them)
Strome: 13 goals
Auvitu: 2 goals

That's maybe 25 goals? So we net subtracted 17 goals (and I don't think Cammalleri or Strome are going to hit last year's totals)

JP was always going to post better numbers than last year, and quite frankly they're still not that impressive this year. Khaira was a surprise for a bit before he fell off again.

My question is why are we relying on young players again to play critical offensive roles? Why can't we let them develop normally until they're punching through the glass ceiling at the AHL level? Time and time again we're gifting players spots and they tend to perform at a mediocre level. It's especially painful because down the road Thachuk is on an absolute tear lately and has already hit 20 goals.

The real point is the Oilers let go too many players and didn't replace them adequately. Yes you can point to Khaira/JP replacing some of that but it's still not enough, especially since the latter is a key prospect that the Oilers have mishandled from day one.

We've seen this dumb strategy before and it failed then, hilariously so. Why is it going to work this time?

This is just what I'm talking about. You have wandered off through equation after equation, and built a structure which has no relation to reality.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Not a direct influence on trades/proposals, but Mitch Callahan has been suspended for 20 games for PED's.

I mention it as it could be cause for contract termination and would free up a spot on the 50 man roster.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Despite us having a difficult season, I don't think we're that far off from being playoff bound again next year. But we need to add some top 6 wingers, and some better depth in the bottom 6 along with a puck moving Dman. Also need to hope a few players rebound next year (Talbot, Sekera and Klefbom).

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Not a direct influence on trades/proposals, but Mitch Callahan has been suspended for 20 games for PED's.

I mention it as it could be cause for contract termination and would free up a spot on the 50 man roster.

Where are we at with our contract spots? I thought we already had some wiggle room.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Sure does. But when you consider none of the personnel from that era made it to this team, I'd say the results of the previous season, which are all of the current defensive personnel, are valid. Saying the 2016/17 season was an anomaly is being extremely disingenuous.

I didn't bring up the GF/GA numbers of the teams of yore, so it's not my problem.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
With emergence of Nurse and return of Davidson, we need to send out the older portion of the d-corps for some winger depth/RD depth. Larsson, Nurse, and Klefbom should all stay. Sekera and Russell should be used as trade-bait but they have full NMCs that need to be waived (thanks Chia)

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He doesn't understand the concept that a players point totals would change depending on what team they played on and what role they filled.

We don't need to be adding players point totals on other teams and subtracting who we think is their replacements totals, or anything silly like that. I look at it this way. Last year we averaged 2.96 goals per game as a team. This year we are currently at 2.83. That's .13 goals less per game, or what would equate to 7.15 less goals over the 55 games we are currently at. It's not that bad considering our 30th ranked PP. If our PP, which was 5th in the entire league last year, was even 15th overall at this point we'd be scoring at exactly the same rate as last year. So it's really just a bunch of huffing and puffing about something completely insignificant when posters ***** and moan about our lack of offense this year.
Of course they do. You can change players if you want but if you don't REPLACE them then you have an issue.

The team is still 20th in offense. It's super easy to say "Well it's because the PP isn't good enough", but it's more than that. Teams adjust to what you do. The personnel isn't exactly the same either. Teams know if you aggressively attack the Oilers power play you'll succeed. They know Draisatl was a monster on the PP last year.

The Oilers have ONE winger with double digit goals this year. If you're not concerned about that I'm not sure what to tell you.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
With emergence of Nurse and return of Davidson, we need to send out the older portion of the d-corps for some winger depth/RD depth. Larsson, Nurse, and Klefbom should all stay. Sekera and Russell should be used as trade-bait but they have full NMCs that need to be waived (thanks Chia)

Russell wont move, he's from the area which is why he signed here to begin with. Also he's been arguably our best dman this year. Sekera on the other hand might waive, but given the way he's playing who takes the chance on him. Better to let him rebound next season and get good value. Klefbom honestly make the most sense to move, provided we get a good return.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Despite us having a difficult season, I don't think we're that far off from being playoff bound again next year. But we need to add some top 6 wingers, and some better depth in the bottom 6 along with a puck moving Dman. Also need to hope a few players rebound next year (Talbot, Sekera and Klefbom).

Sekera I could maybe expect to rebound, never expected him to return to 100% this season anyway. Klefbom on the other hand needs brain surgery because it's not his physical play, it's the amazingly stupid things he does every night. And I'm not sure I'd trust Sievebot in net as the starter yet alone as a back-up. Beyond that you've got Lucic and his terrible contract .....ffs...
Then absolute plugs like Strome, Letestu, Cammalleri and more...
Can't trust Benning to flip a burger yet alone win a puck battle.
And then just wait until Maroon is traded for peanuts.

So many holes to plug.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I wonder if Sekera would waive his NMC to go to a better team. Hmmm. Trade him for what we can and then use that money to sign a winger (Grabner maybe)?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What does everyone think of a Sekera for Phaneuf swap in the summer? Sekera would be 32 with three years left on the $5.5m AAV. Phaneuf is 33 and would have three years left on a $7m AAV. Would suck to cut bait on Andrej, but his injury is bit worrisome. Both offer a similar veteran presence but Phaneuf is more physical and offers a better shot on the power-play. Ignoring the potential for a bigger deal, what's the value like?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
What does everyone think of a Sekera for Phaneuf swap in the summer? Sekera would be 32 with three years left on the $5.5m AAV. Phaneuf is 33 and would have three years left on a $7m AAV. Would suck to cut bait on Andrej, but his injury is bit worrisome. Both offer a similar veteran presence but Phaneuf is more physical and offers a better shot on the power-play. Ignoring the potential for a bigger deal, what's the value like?

No, Sekera will rebound, takes time to get your skating legs and timing back after that much time off. I wont be surprised to see him rebound next season. Far more worried about Klefbom's foot injury and long contract.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Anybody know the way to the way Rumours & Proposals thread? This doesn't appear to be it.
Head in the direction of the Talbot thread, take a hard right at #firechia and you'll find it right beside the When does McLellan get fired? thread.

Reactions: North

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No, Sekera will rebound, takes time to get your skating legs and timing back after that much time off. I wont be surprised to see him rebound next season. Far more worried about Klefbom's foot injury and long contract.
But what is a Sekera rebound? A soft, 30 point shin-pad seeker? Dion Phaneuf would fit the puck-mover need as well, but would probably be a better guy to run the second PP unit.

Reactions: dawunderboy

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Teams who score less than the Oilers and who are in a playoff position or in the hunt:

Carolina
Calgary
Anaheim
Columbus

Teams who allow more goals than the Oilers and who who are in a playoff position or in the hunt:

Islanders (1 pt out)

I know the "scoring winger" thing is our narrative, largely because we are frustrated at all the McD-generated chances that don't go in. But we are bleeding goals against this year, especially on the PK. If you're a GM you have to start there.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You add to a roster and improve it. Depth is important in today's NHL. The Lightning have seven players in double digits with goals, and 4 with at least 20. The Oilers have 4 and 1 respectively.

And I don't think the roster is all that good. It benefitted from a lot going right last year and nothing was done to correct the possibility of some fallback (something the GM actually mentioned, mind you). Seriously, we have the worst crop of wingers in the league and a very average defense even when healthy. I at least thought we were a playoff team but not a contender, turns out we need a bit more. The GM (whoever it may be) has a ton of work to do this offseason and not a lot of room to do it.
I don't disagree depth is important, but it also doesn't appear overnight. Tampa Bay is the gold standard for player development in the National Hockey League and have been for years. They crap NHL talent from their farm system. They should never be used as a comparable.

And the potential of a step back is something I mentioned, in April, mind you. This NHL is one where offense comes from previously unknown sources, teams have the ability to rebound in very short-term due to the well-documented parity in this league. The gap between a good team and a bad team is exceptionally small and if there's anything to be learned from the season being had by the Vegas Golden Knights, it's that commitment to execution is far more important than filling your depth chart with established talent.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
But what is a Sekera rebound? A soft, 30 point shin-pad seeker? Dion Phaneuf would fit the puck-mover need as well, but would probably be a better guy to run the second PP unit.

Sekera was arguably our best dman last year. And a big no thanks to Phaneuf. For 7 million/year and another 3 years of term, for a soon to be 33 year old in serious decline, and the grand total of 3 goals and 16 points this year, I'm pretty sure we do far better than throwing away that kind of money and term.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I don't disagree depth is important, but it also doesn't appear overnight. Tampa Bay is the gold standard for player development in the National Hockey League and have been for years. They crap NHL talent from their farm system. They should never be used as a comparable.

And the potential of a fallback is something I mentioned, in April, mind you. This NHL is one where offense comes from previously unknown sources, teams have the ability to rebound in very short-term due to the well-documented parity in this league. The gap between a good team and a bad team is exceptionally small and is there's anything to be learned from the season being had by the Vegas Golden Knights, it's that commitment to execution is far more important than filling your depth chart with established talent.

Where are these diamonds in the rough supposed to come from since we (a) can't draft or develop them and (b) never pull them from the recycling bin?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Teams who score less than the Oilers and who are in a playoff position or in the hunt:

Carolina
Calgary
Anaheim
Columbus

Teams who allow more goals than the Oilers and who who are in a playoff position or in the hunt:

Islanders (1 pt out)

I know the "scoring winger" thing is our narrative, largely because we are frustrated at all the McD-generated chances that don't go in. But we are bleeding goals against this year, especially on the PK. If you're a GM you have to start there.

It doesn't help that Klefbom, Larsson and Sekera took a step back this year to go with Talbot's inability to stop a puck. All the Hall's and Eberle's in the world won't change that. Then you add in our historically bad special teams and here we are.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Where are these diamonds in the rough supposed to come from since we (a) can't draft or develop them and (b) never pull them from the recycling bin?
Considering that over 80% of that 103 point roster is still here next year...

I've already thrown out examples of the types of deals we should be targeting at the deadline. But those are complimentary players who are there to add to the core we already have built. If this team is going to improve it's going to be because of the guys already on it, not some magical free agent signing or trade.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Sekera was arguably our best dman last year. And a big no thanks to Phaneuf. For 7 million/year and another 3 years of term, for a soon to be 33 year old in serious decline, and the grand total of 3 goals and 16 points this year, I'm pretty sure we do far better than throwing away that kind of money and term.
Is he in serious decline? Still playing some important minutes on that Ottawa roster.

Ignoring the salaries, who's the better fit short term?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->