Rumor: Rumours & Proposals - (Chia discussion will be met with a threadban at minimum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Of course they do. You can change players if you want but if you don't REPLACE them then you have an issue.

The team is still 20th in offense. It's super easy to say "Well it's because the PP isn't good enough", but it's more than that. Teams adjust to what you do. The personnel isn't exactly the same either. Teams know if you aggressively attack the Oilers power play you'll succeed. They know Draisatl was a monster on the PP last year.

The Oilers have ONE winger with double digit goals this year. If you're not concerned about that I'm not sure what to tell you.

It is as simple as the pp being awful. This year in 55 games they have 125 ES goals for. Last year on the same date they had scored 116 goals for at ES in one more game. Now you can argue that shipping out the guys you mentioned hurt the pp but to this point in the season last year the guys they shipped out had a grand total of 3 ppg's the exact same number as Strome and Puljujarvi do this year.

So your point would then boli down to having last years version of Eberle was the reason why guys like Draisaitl were able to succeed. And yes I agree that teams do adjust. But this is not a "different personnel" issue it is execution and the fact that for most of the year it would seem that the coaches stubbornly ran a static pp designed to have everyone stand around trying to feed Letestu.

The Oilers are losing because they are giving up a lot more goals than last year. Part of this is bad defense, perhaps due to injuries, but a large part is much worse goaltending and a home pk that is historically bad. If the Oilers home pk was at 80% which would have them in 23 spot they would have 20 less goals against this year than last and that alone might convert to 10-15 points more in the standing incuding 2 more last night.

The good news in all of this is that it may well be possible to "fix" the Oilers issues with relatively few roster moves. You don't need ti overhaul the team's key personnel to fix a pk. And if Talbit simply returns to an average of his play over the previous two to four years the team is likely in the hunt.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Is he in serious decline? Still playing some important minutes on that Ottawa roster.

Ignoring the salaries, who's the better fit short term?

Well, you can't ignore the salaries, since we reside in a cap league. Especially on a team with some guys on a big time cap hit, we can't afford to make any more long term mistakes.
Playing minutes on a very bad team, of which he is a big part of. Kris Russell and 2 other Oilers have more goals than he has. 3 goals and 13 assists for a guy that was never known to be strong in his own end? Yah, that's some decline. You think he's going to get better at 33 years of age? At least Sekera has a serious injury excuse.

Again, 7 million dollars can be much better spent somewhere else.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
McDavid and Draisatl carried this team offensively for most of last year. Eberle did next to nothing the first 3/4 of the season, and then piled on a bunch of goals near the end. And then proceeded to go into the tank when it mattered most, and do diddly squat in the playoffs, not to mention shying away from any needed physical play.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Well, you can't ignore the salaries, since we reside in a cap league. Especially on a team with some guys on a big time cap hit, we can't afford to make any more long term mistakes.
Playing minutes on a very bad team, of which he is a big part of. Kris Russell and 2 other Oilers have more goals than he has. 3 goals and 13 assists for a guy that was never known to be strong in his own end? Yah, that's some decline. You think he's going to get better at 33 years of age? At least Sekera has a serious injury excuse.

Again, 7 million dollars can be much better spent somewhere else.
In terms of comparing what players bring and how they fit into a roster, yes you can ignore them in that regard, which is why I'm asking. This trade wouldn't be a commitment to $7m, because technically we're already spending $5.5m of it long term. It's a commitment of $1.5m over three years.

So again, which player fits into the Oilers needs better with the emergence of Darnell Nurse this season?

I don't think Phaneuf is going to get better at his age, but I don't doubt he's still capable of posting better numbers than he has this season. The Senators are also an example of a team that has notoriously underachieved this season.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
McDavid and Draisatl carried this team offensively for most of last year. Eberle did next to nothing the first 3/4 of the season, and then piled on a bunch of goals near the end. And then proceeded to go into the tank when it mattered most, and do diddly squat in the playoffs, not to mention shying away from any needed physical play.

I might be one of the few that don't miss Eberle. Most of his goals came when it didn't matter, vs non-playoff teams. When the playoffs did happen he just fell over and cried, waiting for a penalty while we were scored on. Guy was useless and didn't want to be here, good riddance.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil and A91

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Dion Phaneuf? Lol

Wow. Go read Sens fans opinions on Phaneuf. They want to get rid of him at any cost. The comments you will read is “he’s slow as molasses and it’s only going to get worse as he ages. Let’s get rid of him while we can”.

There’s Sens fans that are willing to trade Phaneuf for the washed up Gaborik. And we have an Oilers fans that wants to trade for that boat anchor of a contract?

Wow just wow.

Reactions: RebuildTheRebuild

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Dion Phaneuf? Lol

Wow. Go read Sens fans opinions on Phaneuf. They want to get rid of him at any cost. The comments you will read is “he’s slow as molasses and it’s only going to get worse as he ages. Let’s get rid of him while we can”.

There’s Sens fans that are willing to trade Phaneuf for the washed up Gaborik. And we have an Oilers fans that wants to trade for that boat anchor of a contract?

Wow just wow.
That's the response I'm looking for. I haven't seen Phaneuf at all this season, so I wanted to know if the wheels have completely fallen off.

I didn't say I wanted to make the trade--I wanted to know which was a better fit for us short term.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
But what is a Sekera rebound? A soft, 30 point shin-pad seeker? Dion Phaneuf would fit the puck-mover need as well, but would probably be a better guy to run the second PP unit.

Or you know the guy who was arguably our best all around defenceman last year, and 35 point defenceman who play 21 minutes a night are easy to replace. Sekera was without debate a huge part of why this team made the 2nd round last year.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Friedman's 31 thoughts cliff's notes (Oilers version)

- all three Atlantic teams have made overtures RE:Maroon. However Toronto doesn't make sense unless there are other moves and he may have been out to lunch on Boston. Mentioned John Cooper / Tampa connection again.

- With Lucic/Cammalleri/Strome all riding massive scoring droughts and Slepyshev playing well despite being benched and offered around the league, maybe the Oilers are better off giving Slepy a run in a bigger role for the rest of the year - internal improvement is always preferable.

- Not sure what's wrong with Klefbom but he hasn't looked like himself all season. Wonder if we see him shut down soon to get ready for next year. *rememeber, Friedman loves Klefbom. Had him as a darkhorse Norris candidate last year*

friedman sucks now.....and thus his thoughts are now garbage.

Reactions: frag2 and A91

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Or you know the guy who was arguably our best all around defenceman last year, and 35 point defenceman who play 21 minutes a night are easy to replace. Sekera was without debate a huge part of why this team made the 2nd round last year.
I don't disagree but that was also last year. Odds are he stays, but I'd suggest its more likely he moves than Klefbom does.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
I'm as big of a Sekera fan as they come but tearing an ACL at age 31 is a big deal. It's likely that he'll never be the same.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
I'm as big of a Sekera fan as they come but tearing an ACL at age 31 is a big deal. It's likely that he'll never be the same.

Sekera will be fine. His injury just takes time to recover. He’s still using a brace so that half second pause is affecting him and his mobility. Next year the brace will come off and he will be back to his old self. I remember Lowetide warned us that Sekera when he came back wouldn’t be very good and wouldn’t be his old self until next year. Boy was Lowetide right. I think he even wrote it on his blog.

ACL injuries just take time (unless you are using HGH and other things to speed up recovery).

Sekera should return back to form next year. Klefbom should rebound. We should have Rasmus Dahlen ready to add the puck moving component ;).

That will help the team immensely

Reactions: nexttothemoon

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Nicholson was just on prime time sports - he's 'shocked and disappointed' with how the team has performed.

After a bunch of the usual platitudes, he said the following:

'We will look to do something that will improve our team short and long term. We have some assets we could trade here.'

'If we could add another top defenceman, that would be real good'.

Sure sounds like we're going to pay through the nose to land a McDonagh or an OEL...

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
In terms of comparing what players bring and how they fit into a roster, yes you can ignore them in that regard, which is why I'm asking. This trade wouldn't be a commitment to $7m, because technically we're already spending $5.5m of it long term. It's a commitment of $1.5m over three years.

So again, which player fits into the Oilers needs better with the emergence of Darnell Nurse this season?

I don't think Phaneuf is going to get better at his age, but I don't doubt he's still capable of posting better numbers than he has this season. The Senators are also an example of a team that has notoriously underachieved this season.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I think he's garbage in his own end and always has been. Take away his offence and he's not attractive at all. And yes, 1.5 mill is not 7 mill, but it's still a chunk in a tight cap. Getting an aging, useless defenceman would be a disaster, in my books.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I might be one of the few that don't miss Eberle. Most of his goals came when it didn't matter, vs non-playoff teams. When the playoffs did happen he just fell over and cried, waiting for a penalty while we were scored on. Guy was useless and didn't want to be here, good riddance.

True. Atleast Strome is consistent in not being able to score vs playoff or non playoff team

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Sekera will be fine. His injury just takes time to recover. He’s still using a brace so that half second pause is affecting him and his mobility. Next year the brace will come off and he will be back to his old self. I remember Lowetide warned us that Sekera when he came back wouldn’t be very good and wouldn’t be his old self until next year. Boy was Lowetide right. I think he even wrote it on his blog.

ACL injuries just take time (unless you are using HGH and other things to speed up recovery).

Sekera should return back to form next year. Klefbom should rebound. We should have Rasmus Dahlen ready to add the puck moving component ;).

That will help the team immensely
I hope so. It's no exaggeration to say that his play was one of the major reasons this team made the playoffs last year. The problem is, it's a huge risk to hope that he returns to his old self with all of the bad contracts this team has on the books. If they don't move him now and he never regains his form, that 5.5mil cap hit is going to be brutal.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Phanuef was declining with Toronto and the wheels have fallen off completely in Ottawa. Phanuef has not been good in 4 years

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Nicholson was just on prime time sports - he's 'shocked and disappointed' with how the team has performed.

After a bunch of the usual platitudes, he said the following:

'We will look to do something that will improve our team short and long term. We have some assets we could trade here.'

'If we could add another top defenceman, that would be real good'.

Sure sounds like we're going to pay through the nose to land a McDonagh or an OEL...

Well Faulk just dialed up a hatty tonight and its only the second intermission. I know lots here aren't happy with how he has played this season, but I'd still have time for him.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I hope so. It's no exaggeration to say that his play was one of the major reasons this team made the playoffs last year. The problem is, it's a huge risk to hope that he returns to his old self with all of the bad contracts this team has on the books. If they don't move him now and he never regains his form, that 5.5mil cap hit is going to be brutal.

If you think it's a huge risk for us to keep him without giving him a proper chance to fully recover, what makes you think another team will gladly take him off our hands then?

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
If you think it's a huge risk for us to keep him without giving him a proper chance to fully recover, what makes you think another team will gladly take him off our hands then?
I don't know if there's a team that will, but if there is we need to consider it. IMO Nurse and Klefbom are our top 2 LHD. Russell and Sekera should be moved and we should try acquiring a top pairing RHD, or at least a serviceable second pairing one. Obviously this is easier said than done. I don't think there's a team in the league that will be stupid enough to take Russell off of our hands and we don't exactly have a ton of assets to acquire any top pairing dmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->