Rumor: Rumours & Proposals - (Chia discussion will be met with a threadban at minimum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Puljujarvi(1) - McDavid(1) - Draisaitl(8.5)
Hall(6) - Barzal(1) - Eberle(6)
Cagguila(1) - RNH(6) - Slepyshev(1)
Khaira(1) - Letestu(3) - Kassian(2)

Nurse(1) - Schultz(4)
Sekera(6) - Russell(4)
Klefbom(4) - Davidson(1)

Talbot (3.5)
Montoya (1)

62 mill before bonus Next year if Nurse got a 3 mill raise and McDavids raise and others....76 mill before Bonus. Completely doable.

McDavid, Barzal, JP are all making bonuses. But still plenty of room left to fit them

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
McDavid, Barzal, JP are all making bonuses.
Okay so you add in the max bonus for them which is roughly $6 mill total....So this year we are in the clear. Next year it would add $3 mill for Barzal and Pulju salary and the cap is expected to go to 80 mill. So....doable.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Okay so you add in the max bonus for them which is roughly $6 mill total....So this year we are in the clear. Next year it would add $3 mill for Barzal and Pulju salary and the cap is expected to go to 80 mill. So....doable.

You have to pay McDavid 12.5M next year.

That roster might have been cap compliant for this season, though.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Puljujarvi(1) - McDavid(12.5) - Draisaitl(8.5)

Nurse(3.5) - Schultz(5.5)
Sekera(6) - Russell(4)
Klefbom(4) - Davidson(1)

Talbot (4)
Montoya (1)

The other mockups saved money on Schultz and Talbot contracts.... just because?

That team is not cap compliant even with an 80M cap unless you assume literally 0 for ELC bonuses. It's also staring extensions for Hall, Eberle, and Talbot right in the face.

Would have been a hell of a roster to field for a 2017-18 cup run, though.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
How about some ideas on how we can improve the actual team instead of mock lineups with Barzal, Hall, Eberle, and Justin freaking Schultz.

Some of you say we'd be selling low on Klefbom. I don't agree with that and think he would still hold a ton of value at present. What happens if he bangs his shoulder up again next year and we see similar results? It's a real possibility as his durability has some serious question marks around it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
How about some ideas on how we can improve the actual team instead of mock lineups with Barzal, Hall, Eberle, and Justin freaking Schultz.

Some of you say we'd be selling low on Klefbom. I don't agree with that and think he would still hold a ton of value at present. What happens if he bangs his shoulder up again next year and we see similar results? It's a real possibility as his durability has some serious question marks around it.

The way I see it there's not a lot of wiggle room with the cap and so many guaranteed contracts. But I do believe that one of Klefbom/Russell/Sekera/Larsson should be moved with Nurse's emergence and the fact that the defense simply isn't good enough.

And yes we would be selling low on Klefbom. With so many people saying we should trade him, what would other teams think? His body of work this year is terrible and even in a package isn't likely to bring you an upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

This. To improve the team we are likely looking at a rather major overhaul. I don't know how to fix all of our problems, and thank god I don't have to, but really the only guys I think we are guaranteed to have next season are McDavid, Draisaitl, Lucic, Russell, Nurse, Pulujarvi, Kassian, and Khaira. The rest, who knows, although there are guys I would prefer to keep if possible.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We could gamble on Klefbom+ for OEL and hope he re-signs with us. At only one year left, that might be an enticing player for Arizona, if they think he can rebound that is.
I really, really don't think the Coyotes do that. They would want something equivalent in return, especially from a divisional rival.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
No trade clause. He asked for it specifically because he wants to play in Alberta, so unless the Flames want Russell he's going nowhere right now. It would be more likely that we trade Sekera (he's more likely to waive his NTC) or Klefbom than Russell.
Trading Klefbom because Kris f***ing Russell was given an NTC would be the most Oilers move of all time.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

XXX - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Draisaitl - XXX
XXX - RNH -XXX
Kassian - Khaira - Slepyshev

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Nurse - Davidson

Talbot
Backup

Add some cheap wingers via UFA or with draft picks.

You can't bring meaningful upgrades to the defense unless you can convince Russell or Lucic to waive NMC(you can't) and even then you have to trade RNH as he is our only somewhat expendable piece that has real value.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I can't voice my opinion on how to improve the team without invoking a thread ban, sadly.

The way I see it there's not a lot of wiggle room with the cap and so many guaranteed contracts. But I do believe that one of Klefbom/Russell/Sekera/Larsson should be moved with Nurse's emergence and the fact that the defense simply isn't good enough.

And yes we would be selling low on Klefbom. With so many people saying we should trade him, what would other teams think? His body of work this year is terrible and even in a package isn't likely to bring you an upgrade.

Who is saying we should trade him? I haven't heard much trade Klefbom talk in the media. Are you talking about posters on a message board influencing what other teams GM's would think? Larsson isn't going anywhere as a RHD. It's Klefbom or Sekera that will be moved, and Sekera's NTC will limit his value if he's even willing to waive.

The whole selling low argument reminds me of Yakupov. After his rookie season I would propose deals like Simmonds and a 2nd for Yak. Response- No, no, no, why would we trade Yak he will score 40 goals a season. After his 2nd year I would propose another deal that was a worse return but still a decent one. Response- we can't sell low on Yak. And on and on we went until he was worth a 3rd rounder.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Puljujarvi(1) - McDavid(12.5) - Draisaitl(8.5)

Nurse(3.5) - Schultz(5.5)
Sekera(6) - Russell(4)
Klefbom(4) - Davidson(1)

Talbot (4)
Montoya (1)

The other mockups saved money on Schultz and Talbot contracts.... just because?

That team is not cap compliant even with an 80M cap unless you assume literally 0 for ELC bonuses. It's also staring extensions for Hall, Eberle, and Talbot right in the face.

Would have been a hell of a roster to field for a 2017-18 cup run, though.

That's the point. We could have built a team to make a run during 97's cheap years then retooled like Chicago/Pittsburgh when the cap crunch comes down.

Instead, the tracksuit built a team to win now that wasn't good enough to win now and still has to retool due to the cap. Absolute failure.

Reactions: oXo Cube

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Faulk is having a terrible season, as bad as Klef's. He's older, more expensive and signed for just two more seasons.

Hoffman is good, but he's hitting the age where production starts to drop off (his goal scoring numbers are down this year). He is also in the final two years of his deal and will demand a big raise down the line.

So you're trading a young top 4 D with high end potential and a young 2C, both signed long term, for older, more expensive options that aren't significant upgrades in terms of production or performance. Shuffling deck chairs.
Faulk is 1 year older than Klef. 1. He’s accomplished more in the nhl than Klef so I think he’s a better bet to bounce back. Hoffman is what? 28. He’s far from old. I keep hearing we need winger depth and a right shooting offensive D this gives us both.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Look for bounce back seasons from current players, Yamomoto/Puljujarvi to come in and blow the doors off next year, a couple of cheap quality depth additions and pray for rain.

Otherwise you're moving significant assets out at a loss for marginal upgrades.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Faulk is 1 year older than Klef. 1. He’s accomplished more in the nhl than Klef so I think he’s a better bet to bounce back. Hoffman is what? 28. He’s far from old. I keep hearing we need winger depth and a right shooting offensive D this gives us both.

That bolded doesn't make much sense: Faulk has more of a baseline level of ability but Klef still has room to grow. As for the rest you've completely ignored the fact that both players on at the tail end of their contracts and will be looking for significant raises in short order, which adds a level of extra risk to a set of deals that are already marginal upgrades.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Look for bounce back seasons from current players, Yamomoto/Puljujarvi to come in and blow the doors off next year, a couple of cheap quality depth additions and pray for rain.

Otherwise you're moving significant assets out at a loss for marginal upgrades.

I'll take any upgrade, even marginal. I'd like to know how you think we can send out assets for a loss and still upgrade our personnel though.

One thing everyone is overlooking is the fact we should have a very good pick at the draft to use to upgrade the team. We can attach a contract to the pick as well to make the cap work. I would 100% deal the pick. We don't need more youth that will help in 2-4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad