Rumor: Rumours & Proposals - (Chia discussion will be met with a threadban at minimum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hey guys, do you realize that Barzal and Hall don't play for the Oilers? Instead of whining about the past, lets post about what the Oilers can do in the present and future to improve the team. After all, this is a trade and rumors thread, not a Fire Chia thread.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I can't voice my opinion on how to improve the team without invoking a thread ban, sadly.

The way I see it there's not a lot of wiggle room with the cap and so many guaranteed contracts. But I do believe that one of Klefbom/Russell/Sekera/Larsson should be moved with Nurse's emergence and the fact that the defense simply isn't good enough.

And yes we would be selling low on Klefbom. With so many people saying we should trade him, what would other teams think? His body of work this year is terrible and even in a package isn't likely to bring you an upgrade.

Why not? I have plenty of idea of how to address the roster and its current needs, or even other teams' needs. Some of them actually happen. Never do I mention a GM's name. Because ultimately they don't matter from this perspective considering this is the armchair GM thread. Wanna bitch about him? Thread's that way.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I really, really don't think the Coyotes do that. They would want something equivalent in return, especially from a divisional rival.

OEL is a year from UFA, they aren't getting anything close to an equivalent in return. It'll be a collection of lesser players and futures.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'll take any upgrade, even marginal. I'd like to know how you think we can send out assets for a loss and still upgrade our personnel though.

One thing everyone is overlooking is the fact we should have a very good pick at the draft to use to upgrade the team. We can attach a contract to the pick as well to make the cap work. I would 100% deal the pick. We don't need more youth that will help in 2-4 years.

I'd keep the pick if it's top 5. Whatever player they pick there will have higher potential than whoever they'd be able to trade it for, unless another Subban becomes available. As much as everyone hates to hear it, if the pick it top 5 and it's a forward, there's a pretty good chance that the player will be on the team next season.

SunDevilHockeyFan

Bertuzzi's Italian Kitchen
Feb 1, 2018
Eugene OR / Orange County CA
Don't understand people saying Faulk is more valuable than Klef after 1 bad year from the latter. Sure Klef might not become the all star franchise defenseman some projected him as but I think an important part of the Oilers rebuild is holding on to and trusting players like him that are still developing. However, if you think management and their philosophy on developing players is the problem, players who've already reached their potential arent bad targets if they're young enough.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Why not? I have plenty of idea of how to address the roster and its current needs, or even other teams' needs. Some of them actually happen. Never do I mention a GM's name. Because ultimately they don't matter from this perspective considering this is the armchair GM thread. Wanna ***** about him? Thread's that way.
Because until certain individuals are let go things aren't going to get better. That's just how it is. We can speculate on trades all we want but as long as we continue to sell low on our players it's not going to be pretty, especially coming off this year.

Ideally you send Lucic to Arizona for a pick, Russell to the moon, get OEL and Karlsson in, maybe ask Crosby if he'd come here to play with McDavid.... Oh, and get Hall and Eberle to return for futures.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I'll take any upgrade, even marginal. I'd like to know how you think we can send out assets for a loss and still upgrade our personnel though.

Well, you can trade a player for a lesser player that fills a need. For example: the Hall trade. Of course, that's a terrible way to build a team and not a path I'm advocating, simply saying our options are extremely limited.

One thing everyone is overlooking is the fact we should have a very good pick at the draft to use to upgrade the team. We can attach a contract to the pick as well to make the cap work. I would 100% deal the pick. We don't need more youth that will help in 2-4 years.

No way no how should they trade a lotto pick, not with the prospect pool in the state its in and the need for cheap young talent even more pronounced given the cap situation. The prospect of adding a player like Tkachuk or Boqvist is the only silver lining we have.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
OEL is a year from UFA, they aren't getting anything close to an equivalent in return. It'll be a collection of lesser players and futures.
So why do they need to trade him now then? There's still a whole year left. Only stupid teams sell off their UFAs a year before they're actually UFA.

Besides, there's teams that can put together better packages than this one for him. I really don't see Arizona keen on feeding their divisional rival their best player for junk.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
That bolded doesn't make much sense: Faulk has more of a baseline level of ability but Klef still has room to grow. As for the rest you've completely ignored the fact that both players on at the tail end of their contracts and will be looking for significant raises in short order, which adds a level of extra risk to a set of deals that are already marginal upgrades.

Klefbo will turn 25 this summer. I'm not sure there's all that much room for growth with him at this point. Last year when he was completely healthy might be the best year we see out of him. How much room for growth is there in some other established defensemen from the same draft class? Does Larsson have that growth potential? Brodin? Hamilton? Connor Murphy?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
So why do they need to trade him now then? There's still a whole year left. Only stupid teams sell off their UFAs a year before they're actually UFA.

Because the longer they wait, the less they get in return for him. At least now (if they get an indication that he doesn't want to re-sign), he still has another year left on his deal so that will carry some value with it. The longer they wait, the more his value diminishes. Either way, they aren't getting an equivalent player for him. This isn't a Johansen/Jones or Subban/Weber situation.

BTW, Stauffer just mentioned HF haha. Said that all the threads are "Fire This", "Fire That" and that some fans are enjoying the Oilers failure so they can say I told you so, or something to that effect. He's probably not too far off the mark actually.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Because the longer they wait, the less they get in return for him. At least now (if they get an indication that he doesn't want to re-sign), he still has another year left on his deal so that will carry some value with it. The longer they wait, the more his value diminishes.

BTW, Stauffer just mentioned HF haha. Said that all the threads are "Fire This", "Fire That" and that some fans are enjoying the Oilers failure so they can say I told you so, or something to that effect. He's probably not too far off the mark actually.
Potentially, but there's still zero reason for them to send him here when most other teams could offer something better. Plus he's not exactly having a banner year. The Coyotes shouldn't sell him off at his lowest value.

And as negative as I've been, I'd be happy to be wrong about this season. Last night you could always get the sense the Oilers were going to blow the game at any given moment. This year just isn't acceptable and I'd argue it's actually the worst year in the entire franchise's history.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Klefbo will turn 25 this summer. I'm not sure there's all that much room for growth with him at this point. Last year when he was completely healthy might be the best year we see out of him. How much room for growth is there in some other established defensemen from the same draft class? Does Larsson have that growth potential? Brodin? Hamilton? Connor Murphy?

I'd argue his development has been stunted in part by his injuries. Many of his peers are closing on on 400GP, Klef hasn't even hit 250. Staying healthy and actually playing games will help him develop some consistency.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Because until certain individuals are let go things aren't going to get better. That's just how it is. We can speculate on trades all we want but as long as we continue to sell low on our players it's not going to be pretty, especially coming off this year.

Ideally you send Lucic to Arizona for a pick, Russell to the moon, get OEL and Karlsson in, maybe ask Crosby if he'd come here to play with McDavid.... Oh, and get Hall and Eberle to return for futures.

Why can't you send Lucic to the moon?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Potentially, but there's still zero reason for them to send him here when most other teams could offer something better. Plus he's not exactly having a banner year. The Coyotes shouldn't sell him off at his lowest value.

And as negative as I've been, I'd be happy to be wrong about this season. Last night you could always get the sense the Oilers were going to blow the game at any given moment. This year just isn't acceptable and I'd argue it's actually the worst year in the entire franchise's history.

The Oilers aren't getting OEL, I'm just talking about his value around the league. As is usually the case, these big trades don't happen in conference. I could see the Leafs being a good trade partner with Arizona for instance.

I wasn't referencing you btw but there are some posters who revel in the negativity but I digress.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Because the longer they wait, the less they get in return for him. At least now (if they get an indication that he doesn't want to re-sign), he still has another year left on his deal so that will carry some value with it. The longer they wait, the more his value diminishes.

Been saying it all year we have the worst and best fans in the league. So many people here were just salivating at the idea of the Oilers slipping back this year just so they could say I told you so. Funny how that works. When are players are succeeding we are on their side. But when they struggle we grab the pitch forks.This is the same fan base that ran. HOF defenseman outa town because he didn’t hit anyone. (Coffey)

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Oilers aren't getting OEL, I'm just talking about his value around the league. As is usually the case, these big trades don't happen in conference. I could see the Leafs being a good trade partner with Arizona for instance.

I wasn't referencing you btw but there are some posters who revel in the negativity but I digress.
Yeah, fair enough. It's a nice thought to entertain, but we simply cannot afford him especially since he's in our division.

And I didn't think you were. I'm just as frustrated as anyone here. I've actually started skipping games this year since they've been so bad.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yeah, fair enough. It's a nice thought to entertain, but we simply cannot afford him especially since he's in our division.

And I didn't think you were. I'm just as frustrated as anyone here. I've actually started skipping games this year since they've been so bad.

Same here, it sucks but what can you do.
The good thing is that there's a lot more things in life to enjoy and spring is around the corner so no use getting too worked up about a failing favorite sports team.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Same here, it sucks but what can you do.
The good thing is that there's a lot more things in life to enjoy and spring is around the corner so no use getting too worked up about a failing favorite sports team.
I've gotten a lot more gaming done so far this year than I have in recent years. ;) I've sorta gotten into the habit of just putting the game on my phone while I play and maybe tuning in if it sounds interesting. Though I did watch all of yesterday's game last night. At least it was entertaining I suppose.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I'd argue his development has been stunted in part by his injuries. Many of his peers are closing on on 400GP, Klef hasn't even hit 250. Staying healthy and actually playing games will help him develop some consistency.

I'd argue his history of injuries will probably continue into the future. All the more reason to deal him now when he still holds a lot of value and we are very deep at the position he plays.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Well then this thread isn't for you. If you just can't help yourself, the rules of the thread stipulate that you aren't welcome here. There are multiple threads on this board for you to piss and moan on. This isn't one of them.

In reality, improving the team isn't going to be a continuation of selling low on players. If people can't tell the difference of trades that were precipitated by the need to clear salary and ones that are precipitated to improve the immediate product, there's no conversation to be had.

The conversation is a waste of time, because the majority can't wrap their heads around the entire job that a GM has. To them, it's 'player value' and that's it.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'd argue his history of injuries will probably continue into the future. All the more reason to deal him now when he still holds a lot of value and we are very deep at the position he plays.

Very deep? The Oilers have Nurse who may or may not be a legit top 4 (probably is but small sample size), Larsson who is a solid 2/3, Sekera who we have no idea if he will return to previous form, Russell who is a bottom pairing Dman, Davidson another bottom pairing Dman and Benning who might or might not be an NHLer.

The Oilers future is still heavily dependent on Klefbom developing properly and if they do deal him, they better damn well make sure they are maximizing his value and have a Dman contingency plan in place.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I'd argue his history of injuries will probably continue into the future.

If he was consistently suffering the same injury you might have a point, but there's nothing in his injury history to suggest anything but a guy who has been extremely unlucky. Whether the bad luck holds or not is entirely unknowable.

All the more reason to deal him now when he still holds a lot of value and we are very deep at the position he plays.

Lol wut. The left side has Nurse (who may or may not be a top pairing option), Sekera who has been awful since returning and may never be the same and then a whole lotta nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad