Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Under Sell and Over Deliver or Stuck in First Gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
That doesn't make sense though because Bergevin built that team through trade primarily. Weber, Petry, Suzuki, Anderson, Tatar, Drouin, Allen. The only "big" free agents they signed were Toffoli and Edmundson. The rest of their notable players were either drafted by them or acquired by trade.

Holland must have been misquoted or he's completely out of touch with how Montreal is built as very little of their team is built through free agency.

Also, I wouldn't call Montreal a "success". They kind of fluked out the Toronto series win and Winnipeg didn't even bother to show up in that series. I don't see this team built for long term success in regards to Cup contention especially once the NHL goes back to "normal". They could easily miss the playoffs next season.

Exactly! It’s a weird thing for Holland to say and makes me worried he has completely lost the plot. I want to believe in him, but we have no reason to have faith in a Bob Nicholson hire. They both come across as old guys halfway to dementia to be brutally honest.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Boston couldn't get him signed and were worried about an offer sheet, Calgary did Calgary things and the Hurricanes can't force him to stay as a UFA.

It doesn't really seem that odd to me.
Well, if he signs here, here's hoping he doesn't play defence like Barrie

North

Jun 25, 2009
Exactly! It’s a weird thing for Holland to say and makes me worried he has completely lost the plot. I want to believe in him, but we have no reason to have faith in a Bob Nicholson hire. They both come across as old guys halfway to dementia to be brutally honest.

This seems an odd thing to say. We’ve been in a playoff position both years he’s been at the helm.

He’s already indicated he wants to make this team successful now and in the future so he’s not going to make knee jerk decisions.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
So why pay 8+ million for Hamilton to do it when Bouchard comes in at under a million?

Because Hamilton is a top pairing defenseman right now, and Bouchard is a raw rookie we hope might be as good as Hamilton in 4 - 5 years from now.

Defensemen take a while to incubate. The position requires a lot more strength and experience rather than raw skill.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Lol what? Take a look at where this team was before Holland. Now, take a look at it. He's lost no plot. He has a plan. He said at the press conference at the deadline that you can't go all in every year and he made the right choice last season didn't he? He has a chance to ignite his plan. He's pretty much cleaned up all of Chiaturd's mistakes

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
I just read an article suggesting edmonton will take a defenseman with their 19th pick, because they have a history of taking defensemen with thier 19th pick.

I didn't link to the article, because everyone has better things to do.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Because Hamilton is a top pairing defenseman right now, and Bouchard is a raw rookie we hope might be as good as Hamilton in 4 - 5 years from now.

Defensemen take a while to incubate. The position requires a lot more strength and experience rather than raw skill.
I'd rather bring in a cheaper Dman so we can save money to use on depth forwards for our 2nd, 3rd, 4th lines. We lost last playoffs because our depth was trash and not because we didn't have a top pair Dman.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I just read an article suggesting edmonton will take a defenseman with their 19th pick, because they have a history of taking defensemen with thier 19th pick.

I didn't link to the article, because everyone has better things to do.

I wonder if a Leafs analyst wrote it

Reactions: Shathar

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Hamilton is a horrible -ish idea for the cap hit.. If the last 2 years have shown anything is that Edm doesn't need help scoring. They need help defending and depth upfront

We need a Niskanen type dman more than we need a Barrie/ Hamilton....especially w/Bouchard coming in.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Hamilton is a horrible -ish idea for the cap hit.. If the last 2 years have shown anything is that Edm doesn't need help scoring. They need help defending and depth upfront

We need a Niskanen type dman more than we need a Barrie/ Hamilton....especially w/Bouchard coming in.

The team still needs plenty of scoring when McDrai are off the ice.

A second pairing defenseman with an ounce of skill would be go a long way there.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

We need depth up front more than we need an 8 million dollar PP QB.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
GF% vs xGF% really isn't looked at like that outside of elite players like McDrai that actually influence a higher onSH%.

Archibald is just a guy who is lucky his actual goals don't match how badly he gets murdered in chances.

Just wanted to chirp in and say that GF% vs xGF% is a pet peeve of mine. I don't think either of those stats actually tell the story.

As a coach, I might recognize that my player got lucky by giving away a high-danger chance and being bailed out by his goalie. He's still sitting on the bench even if it didn't show up on his GF%.

On the flip side... if I have Shawn Horcoff or Marty Reasoner getting grade-A chance after grade-A chance in a prime scoring position... it's still not going to make me feel any better when their xGF% stats are looking better while they muffin yet another shot into the goalie's crest.

It's a double standard, but on offense I want results ("bear down... find a way"). On defense I want to minimize risk ("smart decisions").... but it speaks to my point that neither of these stats are all that useful, but if I have to choose, I'm looking for results rather than expected results.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I'd rather bring in a cheaper Dman so we can save money to use on depth forwards for our 2nd, 3rd, 4th lines. We lost last playoffs because our depth was trash and not because we didn't have a top pair Dman.

By the end of the series Nurse was playing 4 and 5 minute shifts because most of the Oiler's defensemen were liabilities in a fast paced, high pressure environment. The depth problems of the Oilers effects both the forwards and defense, a problem exasperated by the fact that Barrie probably won't be back.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Parayko (trade) and Oleksiak

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
The team still needs plenty of scoring when McDrai are off the ice.

A second pairing defenseman with an ounce of skill would be go a long way there.

Depth scoring forwards would help more than another offensive Dman. Barrie showed us that last season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad