Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Under Sell and Over Deliver or Stuck in First Gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Maybe it's just me, but there sure seems to be a lot of players out there this year. As well as a lot of teams looking to make changes.

WSH - looking to move Russians potentially
BUF- seems like a good chunk want out
PHI - AV seems to have pissed of Hart and Patrick, along with them wanting changes.
ANA- potentially looking to rebuild/tool
TOR - who the hell knows what Dubas will do, but lots of UFA's and answers after an early exit
PIT - New management looking to put a stamp
NSH - was looking at unloading a month before deadline, probably revisit that
CGY - broken team looking to fix things
NYR - new management, fans fed up with how physically weak the team is
LOS - trying to add to make another run with the vets they have

There are others, but it sure looks like a lot of teams looking at shake ups. Should be one of the more interesting off-seasons, especially with an expansion team coming in and potentially helping out a team or two with cap issues.

Reactions: Aerchon

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I know that a lot of people are hoping to sign Danault but man are his career playoff stats ever ugly. 27gp. 1-6-7 -2.
This is where things become interesting for us. Don't know that we necessarily need guys that perform in the regular season as we do guys that step up in the playoffs.

I mean the way Tatar is playing it wouldn't shock me if he's looking at a cheaper one year contract. And on a one year deal is it something you can pass up?

Maybe it's a situation where you add these guys and hope they find something special in our top 6 and if you have doubts then come deadline you go after some playoff warriors?

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Maybe it's just me, but there sure seems to be a lot of players out there this year. As well as a lot of teams looking to make changes.

WSH - looking to move Russians potentially
BUF- seems like a good chunk want out
PHI - AV seems to have pissed of Hart and Patrick, along with them wanting changes.
ANA- potentially looking to rebuild/tool
TOR - who the hell knows what Dubas will do, but lots of UFA's and answers after an early exit
PIT - New management looking to put a stamp
NSH - was looking at unloading a month before deadline, probably revisit that
CGY - broken team looking to fix things
NYR - new management, fans fed up with how physically weak the team is
LOS - trying to add to make another run with the vets they have

There are others, but it sure looks like a lot of teams looking at shake ups. Should be one of the more interesting off-seasons, especially with an expansion team coming in and potentially helping out a team or two with cap issues.

I know he has a lot of off-ice issues, but what do you think would be the price for Kuznestov?

Reactions: ujju2

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I know he has a lot of off-ice issues, but what do you think would be the price for Kuznestov?
Should be a no go. You’d have to think why would a team, with a heavy Russian presence, competing for a cup, be willing to trade Kuznetsov? His contract is not great either

Reactions: TFHockey

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Should be a no go. You’d have to think why would a team, with a heavy Russian presence, competing for a cup, be willing to trade Kuznetsov? His contract is not great either

I thought I read they were looking to move him out.... Ill see him I can find it.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
seems like we're always stuck in second gear... it hasnt been our day our week our month or even our year...or decade... or century

Reactions: subnet

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I honestly have no idea. It's tough as I really have no idea what WSH wants to do. The other issue is his NTC. I'm sure Buffalo would love to save face on one or two of their trades and get an actually return for their guys. Kuznetsov would be a decent return potentially in on of their many trades, but is Kuznetsov going to waive to go to Buffalo?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I know that a lot of people are hoping to sign Danault but man are his career playoff stats ever ugly. 27gp. 1-6-7 -2.

Yeah he doesn't have stats that jump out at you but his defensive play is solid . Like with all stats context matters . Like zone starts . A couple of solid 2 way forward helps this team defensively and cut down on goals against .

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
seems like we're always stuck in second gear... it hasnt been our day our week our month or even our year...or decade... or century

Nope, we haven't made it to 2nd gear, we're stuck in granny gear.

I honestly have no idea. It's tough as I really have no idea what WSH wants to do. The other issue is his NTC. I'm sure Buffalo would love to save face on one or two of their trades and get an actually return for their guys. Kuznetsov would be a decent return potentially in on of their many trades, but is Kuznetsov going to waive to go to Buffalo?

$7.8 million for 4 more seasons. If a team with one of the best Russian players of all time can't reign him in it seems pretty risky to me.

That said, this could be our Kessel move. Get Washington or a 3rd team to eat some cap, say $1.8 million so that he has an even $6 million cap hit and then even if he has a rough go it's not as crippling of a contract. So what would we be willing to pay for Kuznetsov at $6 million? He's coming off of a 41gp. 9-20-29 season.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hamilton basically is Barrie if he was huge.

And two of Barrie's biggest shortcomings as a defenseman are his lack of size and strength. If Barrie had Hamilton's size he'd be a must sign player for us this offseason. Hamilton also has a better shot than Barrie.

Yeah he doesn't have stats that jump out at you but his defensive play is solid . Like with all stats context matters . Like zone starts . A couple of solid 2 way forward helps this team defensively and cut down on goals against .

It would be great to have a shut down center behind Connor and Leon (whether Tipp would use him in such a role is another story) but if he commands a huge salary then you have to weigh that in because offense usually costs a lot of
$ unless it's players on their ELC's.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

I'm not sure what his usage was like in the past but he seems to be basically used to shut down other teams good players and leaves the scoring to others.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm not sure what his usage was like in the past but he seems to be basically used to shut down other teams good players and leaves the scoring to others.

Which of course would be great except that we also need the scoring from others since we are razor thin on offensive talent past our top 4 forwards. What would be the max that we could spend on a player like this while also bolstering our offensive contributions from our forwards?

Reactions: ujju2

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Which of course would be great except that we also need the scoring from others since we are razor thin on offensive talent past our top 4 forwards. What would be the max that we could spend on a player like this while also bolstering our offensive contributions from our forwards?

i don't think he's a realistic option because of his ask is going to be over $5M and he probably wants more opportunities than we can give him.

Guy I'd go after is Armia.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
i don't think he's a realistic option because of his ask is going to be over $5M and he probably wants more opportunities than we can give him.

Guy I'd go after is Armia.

Armia is a solid winger but that still leaves a gaping hole at 3C unless you think that McLeod is up to the task?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
To me Hamilton is pretty much what Bouchard will be once he gets going.

Rishaug this morning was on again about how dumb it was to walk away from "top pairing d man" Barrie and expect a 20 game pro to fill in. For next season in isolation he is probably right, but it drives me crazy that he can't see that it's quite likely that the contract becomes an albatross in year 2 which absolutely can't happen in a flat cap. Not worth the risk.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
To me Hamilton is pretty much what Bouchard will be once he gets going.

Rishaug this morning was on again about how dumb it was to walk away from "top pairing d man" Barrie and expect a 20 game pro to fill in. For next season in isolation he is probably right, but it drives me crazy that he can't see that it's quite likely that the contract becomes an albatross in year 2 which absolutely can't happen in a flat cap. Not worth the risk.

Barrie is a player you add when all the other pieces in place, but a team with as many holes as the Oilers can't afford the luxury.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Barrie is a player you add when all the other pieces in place, but a team with as many holes as the Oilers can't afford the luxury.
Not even that.

Barrie is a player you find value in but you don’t overpay and tie down cap too. The same reason Colorado dealt him in the first place, the same reason Toronto signed Brodie and let Barrie walk, and the same reason Edmonton will likely sign or trade for a more complete player this year.

Barrie is the player who gets signed to a big ticket on a team like Vancouver, who throw money everywhere, or Seattle, where you need to sell some Jerseys and have name recognition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad