Possible trade and roster fixes for the Wings, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I think Edler could be a slightly better 1st PP quarterback than Kronwall is. Then Kronner could eat bigger defensive minutes. Like, we are not getting that shut-down defenceman, but we use our own guy Kronwall more in those situations. It helps the team in general.

of active defenseman, relative to pp time edler has 4th most points (kronwall 5th) the past 5 years.

past 3 years he's second (kronner 11th).

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Why do so many of you want Edler? Not good defensively and hasn't put up good numbers in two years.

He would be our Weiss of defensemen ala getting paid a lot to regain earlier production. No thanks.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Why do so many of you want Edler? Not good defensively and hasn't put up good numbers in two years.

He would be our Weiss of defensemen ala getting paid a lot to regain earlier production. No thanks.

wings wanted to draft him, he's swedish, fills a big(gest) need in top 4 puckmoving D, wings reportedly made offer for him last summer, and is actually possibly available.

he's good defensively. he's just not great.

he played around 40 point pace last year. that's not good numbers?

weiss situation was and is different.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
wings wanted to draft him, he's swedish, fills a big(gest) need in top 4 puckmoving D, wings reportedly made offer for him last summer, and is actually possibly available.

I'm not sold that we need a puck moving defenseman. I would argue that we have too many as it is.

Here's the thing, we have too many defensemen that have no identity. Smith and Kindl are advertised as being offensive defensemen, but are they really? Kindl certainly isn't, but I would say Smith's playmaking is one of his better assets to his game. Quincey was brought in to log minutes and add more offense. What is KQ? Besides a liability, I have no idea.

Ericsson is your dependable defensive rock. Lashoff is a low minute guy that can give you above average defense. DeKeyser is a rock, but is good at all aspects of the game. Kronwall is a hybrid; he's good at both sides of the ice.

With the way the current team is designed, I would actually love to see more defensive D added. Guys that won't make dumb mistakes during crunch time in the 3rd or take crucial penalties.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I suspect we are at least two more seasons away from seeing our d prospects being major nhlk
contributors, think 20plus mins a night and at least 35pts

On the other side tats and nyquist are major parts today, jurco next year and mantha year after. Now throw in pulkinnen and sheahan and we basically have a new top six.

No, we could use elder today and for years to come and have the right assets to make it happen, time for Kenny to make it occur

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I'm not sold that we need a puck moving defenseman. I would argue that we have too many as it is.

Here's the thing, we have too many defensemen that have no identity. Smith and Kindl are advertised as being offensive defensemen, but are they really? Kindl certainly isn't, but I would say Smith's playmaking is one of his better assets to his game. Quincey was brought in to log minutes and add more offense. What is KQ? Besides a liability, I have no idea.

Ericsson is your dependable defensive rock. Lashoff is a low minute guy that can give you above average defense. DeKeyser is a rock, but is good at all aspects of the game. Kronwall is a hybrid; he's good at both sides of the ice.

With the way the current team is designed, I would actually love to see more defensive D added. Guys that won't make dumb mistakes during crunch time in the 3rd or take crucial penalties.

ok, good puck moving defenseman.

wings have 3 top 4 guys. dekeyser, big E, kronner. two defensive Ds, one puck mover. wings have better pk than pp, better on GA than GF, worst possession numbers since forever. and just looking at someone other than the first pair to make that first pass tells a lot.

if wings don't get better possession numbers they would have to score more on their shots (defensive dman won't help there).

and puck mover helps D too as they won't have to spend as much time in their own zone.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

He's not worth the price Vancouver is reportedly asking. If they would do something like Kindl and a 1st I'd be ok with it but when you start talking about us throwing in one or even two young forwards it becomes a bad deal for us. Too much uncertainty with Edler to give away that many assets.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

He looked pretty good in my eyes on the game against Vancouver. That Canucks team pretty much sucked, but Edler was not of those guys.

Also, in my own scoring chance statistics, he was better than any Wings defenceman on the game with five good plays.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Edler is better than anyone on our team other than Kronwall. Instead of just having Kronwall-E to throw over the boards in the third, we could also roll DD-Edler out there and feel entirely comfortable with them. He'd also be a big boost to our powerplay.

Other than potential cost of assets, I don't see the negative to Edler.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
We are 15th in GA and 20th in GF. Recently we've had a lot of trouble keeping it out of our own net but our main problem, especially earlier this season, was scoring. Edler can run a PP better than all our dmen and is a great PMD. He'd be a good addition, but I honestly don't think we need to make a move at all. I think the best thing to do would be to get a stay-at-home D as well, so that we can pair Smith with him and allow Smith to go wild offensively, filling our hole there. If we did get Edler though, I'd do a package like this:

Pulkkinen + Kindl/Quincey + Sammy + 1st

Edler + 4th

Gives us:
Kronwall-Ericsson
Edler-DeKeyser
Smith-Lashoff
Kindl
Marchenko

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
ok, good puck moving defenseman.

wings have 3 top 4 guys. dekeyser, big E, kronner. two defensive Ds, one puck mover. wings have better pk than pp, better on GA than GF, worst possession numbers since forever. and just looking at someone other than the first pair to make that first pass tells a lot.

if wings don't get better possession numbers they would have to score more on their shots (defensive dman won't help there).

and puck mover helps D too as they won't have to spend as much time in their own zone.

I agree.

I just feel the offense will come with time. They've been shooting more and finding the back of the net, all while missing Datsyuk, Franzen, and to lesser extent Weiss.

Looking at some of the top teams in the league, many of them are getting it done with just 1 good defenseman that puts up numbers. Anaheim has Fowler, Boston has Krug, Colorado has... Erik Johnson? That's why I think having Kronwall + whoever steps up will be enough.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
He looked pretty good in my eyes on the game against Vancouver. That Canucks team pretty much sucked, but Edler was not of those guys.

Also, in my own scoring chance statistics, he was better than any Wings defenceman on the game with five good plays.

He didn't really do anything other than get put over the boards by Jurco and fall flat on his face when he pinched down on a scoring chance. Other than that I honestly didn't even notice him...which isn't good for a D-man who's supposed to be this great PMD and big offensive threat.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Kronwall-Ericsson
Edler-DeKeyser

would be pretty great.

Edler hasn't been great lately, but he's only 27 years old. To put this in perspective, Ericsson was 27 when the Wings signed him to his current contract (that virtually everyone hated at the time). Look at how much growth he's shown since then. The Wings need another proven PMD badly.

Last edited:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
We are 15th in GA and 20th in GF. Recently we've had a lot of trouble keeping it out of our own net but our main problem, especially earlier this season, was scoring.

In our past 10 games, we've scored 25 goals. 2.5 goals per game. That's not counting the extra one they tack on for our 3 shootout winners which would knock it up to 2.8 GPG.

That is not bad.

Sure, earlier in the season we had trouble scoring. But I don't think that's our problem these days. The kids are doing great. Nyquist is probably scoring at an unsustainable rate, but Sheahan, Tatar, are both pitching in. And we didn't have Alfie/Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Franzen for parts of that 10 game stretch either. Now we got Z/Alfie back. Add in Datsyuk and Franzen, I think our goalscoring will be fine now.

I think we should focus more on being able to hold on to leads and more solid defensive play. How many times have we given up a lead this season and in the past 3-4 seasons? How many were 2 goal leads? It's pretty sad when you can't feel comfortable with a 2 goal lead with 5 minutes left in the game.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
It is exactly what this team needs. I am going to be disappointed if Holland doesn't make it happen.

What would it take from us? I'm seeing a pretty wide range of opinions. And some of the higher end packages scare me.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
What would it take from us? I'm seeing a pretty wide range of opinions. And some of the higher end packages scare me.

Who knows? Some idiot Canucks fans want nothing less than Nyquist + Mantha + Smith.

If Holland makes the trade, it's not going to be the return they expect.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

Me too, but I don't think it is going to take what some people think it will. I think the packages around Kindl are closer to what will happen.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

I don't think as much as Vancouver fans want. He has a NTC and he's in Torts doghouse. Edler gets to pick his team. And is there any doubt he'll pick Detroit? He's going to hang out with Z, Nyquist, Kronwall, Alfie... Slam dunk.

If I had to guess, one of our NHL ready forwards and a 1st. Jurco, for example. Not cheap, but Edler is a top 2 defender on a sweetheart deal and under 30. That's fair for both sides.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Edler is better than anyone on our team other than Kronwall. Instead of just having Kronwall-E to throw over the boards in the third, we could also roll DD-Edler out there and feel entirely comfortable with them. He'd also be a big boost to our powerplay.

Other than potential cost of assets, I don't see the negative to Edler.

Smith has five more even strength points than Edler. Just saying careful people and Edler makes the same mind-numbing turnovers. Edler and DD wouldn't be shutdown, DD makes his fair share of mistakes we overlook too.

Really I don't see why with the way Smith was playing that we broke up Smith and Kronwall it had some chemistry. Still would like to see

Kronwall - Smith
Ericsson - DeKeyser

We should try this for a little bit. Flip Kindl for McBain from Buffalo, gain some cap space for one of the youngsters and reassess in the summer.

Then again it all depends on package, if it closer to what I hope and Detroit fans have proposed, also along the summer rumors indicated the franchise were willing to go to than what Vancouver fans believe I am fine with Edler coming on board. I am not fine with paying through the nose for a guy that will never play on the first pairing here, especially since we seem to be finding future answers on offense and our pipe-line is loaded with D-man that look like answers in a similar way the forwards did a couple years ago.

Last edited:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I don't think as much as Vancouver fans want. He has a NTC and he's in Torts doghouse. Edler gets to pick his team. And is there any doubt he'll pick Detroit? He's going to hang out with Z, Nyquist, Kronwall, Alfie... Slam dunk.

If I had to guess, one of our NHL ready forwards and a 1st. Jurco, for example. Not cheap, but Edler is a top 2 defender on a sweetheart deal and under 30. That's fair for both sides.

Ughhh.

As much as I like Jurco, I think I might take that. But wouldn't they have to take some of our garbage to make the cap work? Would they be amenable to that?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ughhh.

As much as I like Jurco, I think I might take that. But wouldn't they have to take some of our garbage to make the cap work? Would they be amenable to that?

They would probably want another B asset to make that happen. Now we get into that debate, which B level asset are we okay with moving, pretty much should be a B asset D-man at that point, maybe Almqvist, Jensen or Fournier.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
They would probably want another B asset to make that happen. Now we get into that debate, which B level asset are we okay with moving, pretty much should be a B asset D-man at that point, maybe Almqvist, Jensen or Fournier.

Its less about value and more about who Vancouver covets. Tough to say what they want. But the Wings are finally in a position to move a young prospect for a real return. Losing a guy like Jurco hurts, but with Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan all still around, it's doable. Then Mantha in the wings.

Player that would kill me to lose now would be Sheahan. Love his game the most of all our young guys.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
^ Anyone but Sheahan. It's been a small sample size but he has legitimate #2C written all over him if he works hard and continues to improve.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
This team almost went to the WCF last year with this same defense. Took the eventual cup winners to game 7 OT. The Wings struggles are pretty much entirely due to the fact our entire top 6 has missed significant time. We don't need to make a big splash and lose a bunch of great assets (who have been integral in keeping this team afloat). A small deal like a Derek Morris, Henrik Tallinder, etc to solidify the bottom pair is all this team needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad