Possible trade and roster fixes for the Wings, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Very true. But I still think Mantha is the only one that has a shot at being as good as Eberle. Two weeks ago people were complaining about Nyquist like it was there job, justified or not. Eberle has been "realgud" since his first NHL shift. It's all kind of moot because the only forward you have to give up is Jurco to get Eberle. Nyquist stays. Tatar stays. Mantha stays.

EDM fan agreed to this:

To DET:
Eberle
2nd or 3rd

To EDM
Mrazek
Sproul
Jurco

Given how good the Red Wings are at drafting, that's a fair deal. This would never happen IRL but I would seriously consider doing this and would probably end up doing it. Mrazek may turn into the top 10 goalie we think he can be. If Sproul's defensive game improves he may end up being a #2. Jurco may turn into a 70+ point player. We know what Eberle is. He's the best player in that deal.

Deal. We'd have to send back about 5M+ in salary though.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I think we tend to gush about Tatar and Nyquist a little too much. Yes, they are good players but they won't ever be on Eberle's level, he's already proven he's essentially a PPG player for years now and he's the same age as Tatar. Nyquist, Tatar, Mantha, Jurco, Pulkkinen can't say that. And he's right-handed.

I get that we all like the prospects Detroit has but let's not pretend they're all as good as Eberle. Only Mantha has a chance at being as good, or better, than him. Detroit gets the best player in that deal. Period.

Never say never, and in all honesty, I would not be surprised if in a year or two guys like Nyquist and Tatar will be at the same level of Eberle.

There's no need to overpay with our future if we don't need to.

Detroit Sports*

Why? We don't need Eberle. We have plenty of skilled wingers who are NHL ready or are near being NHL ready. It's just a waste of assets. Mrazek is our future goalie. Howard is almost 30, it's reasonable to think his play could start slippingfurther in another 2-3 years. What would we do then? Just hope Paterson develops into a stud?

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I would deal HOWARD to Edm not Mrazek!

Detroit Sports*

Easy enough.

Nyquist - Zetterberg - Franzen
Tatar - Datysuk - Eberle

LOL

I like the top 6 if Franzen still has a brain. Also Mrazek is a deal breaker for me. I think he can be a top 5 NHL goalie one day. Howard on the other hand would be on the table instead IMO assuming we can get him to waive his NMC ( which I seriously doubt :( )

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Never say never, and in all honesty, I would not be surprised if in a year or two guys like Nyquist and Tatar will be at the same level of Eberle.

There's no need to overpay with our future if we don't need to.
Nah, we ain't overpaying with our "future" when we're getting a 23 year old and a draft pick that will more than likely pan out given how the Red Wings draft. All the while keeping Tatar, Nyquist, Mantha, Pulkkinen, Jarnkrok, Ouellet, Marchenko, Jensen etc etc etc.

You can get away with dealing one of Ouellet or Sproul. You can get away with dealing one of Jurco, Pulkkinen, Tatar. Mrazek is the only one that hurts. But, hey! We have that 2nd or 3rd we got from EDM, draft one with that.

Nyquist - Zetterberg - Franzen
Tatar - Datsyuk - Eberle
Weiss - Sheahan - Alfredsson
Abelkdaer - Helm - Andersson / Glendening

Silly deep

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I think we tend to gush about Tatar and Nyquist a little too much. Yes, they are good players but they won't ever be on Eberle's level, he's already proven he's essentially a PPG player for years now and he's the same age as Tatar. Nyquist, Tatar, Mantha, Jurco, Pulkkinen can't say that. And he's right-handed.

I get that we all like the prospects Detroit has but let's not pretend they're all as good as Eberle. Only Mantha has a chance at being as good, or better, than him. Detroit gets the best player in that deal. Period.

he has?

he had 76 points in 78 games a couple years ago riding an inflated shooting percentage

then his shooting percentage fell back to earth and he's had 82 points in 105 games since then

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
To be honest, I'd rather wait till the off season to trade for a player like Eberle. Clear space, get rid of trash etc.

Saying Tats and Nyquist won't ever be on his level is a bit premature.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
To be honest, I'd rather wait till the off season to trade for a player like Eberle. Clear space, get rid of trash etc.

Saying Tats and Nyquist won't ever be on his level is a bit premature.
You basically have to, I tried playing around with the numbers. It's not easy.

It won't happen anyways, all for naught really.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Essentially and literally are two different words.

calling someone who's really more of a 60 point guy "essentially a PPG player" is really pushing it

Datsyuk and Zetterberg are guys that are "essentially PPG" Eberle's production is much closer to a guy like Franzen

Last edited:

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
calling someone who's really more of a 60 point guy "essentially a PPG player" is really pushing it
On the Edmonton Oilers. Put Tatar or Nyquist in Eberle's spot and I'd be willing to bet they don't produce as much as Eberle. Now do the opposite. Put Eberle on Zetterberg's wing. He's probably going to put up 70-80+ points. Nyquist and Tatar can probably do that in a couple years. Eberle has already done that. On a ****** team. Granted he's been in the NHL for longer.

But would it be unfair to say that Eberle won't get any better? Again, he is younger than Tatar and Nyquist. And, again, you aren't giving up either Nyquist or Tatar.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
On the Edmonton Oilers. Put Tatar or Nyquist in Eberle's spot and I'd be willing to bet they don't produce as much as Eberle. Now do the opposite. Put Eberle on Zetterberg's wing. He's probably going to put up 70-80+ points. Nyquist and Tatar can probably do that in a couple years. Eberle has already done that. On a ****** team. Granted he's been in the NHL for longer.

But would it be unfair to say that Eberle won't get any better? Again, he is younger than Tatar and Nyquist. And, again, you aren't giving up either Nyquist or Tatar.

Edmonton has had a higher goals per game than the Wings both this year and last year,marginally but still

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
It's all fine and good trying to figure out a deal on these forums but I'm sure if they were actually trying to make a deal Ericsson or Dekeyser are included from an Edmonton starting point. Then they say we add from there. I like Eberle but I don't want to kill our little defensive D that we have.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada

Datsyuk and Zetterberg are guys that are "essentially PPG" Eberle's production is much closer to a guy like Franzen

Eberle is 23 years old. He is 1 year younger than Nyquist and the same age as Tatar.

He will get better, just as our two wingers will. Eberle will be a 80-85pt guy pretty consistently in his prime, with 1-2 90+ seasons. I know we love our kids on here but Eberle is on another level; his being stuck on a horrible team, management, and atmosphere in Edmonton is holding him back greatly.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Eberle is 23 years old. He is 1 year younger than Nyquist and the same age as Tatar.

He will get better, just as our two wingers will. Eberle will be a 80-85pt guy pretty consistently in his prime, with 1-2 90+ seasons. I know we love our kids on here but Eberle is on another level; his being stuck on a horrible team, management, and atmosphere in Edmonton is holding him back greatly.

We also have the kind of two-way forwards to protect Eberle which is a big problem for him in Edmonton. Either way if they move him they are looking for big time defensive help right now, we are not ideal trading partners.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

I see this kind of thing a lot,people think age is some magical thing and young players automatically just continue to get better and better but it really doesn't work like that.Exceptions exist but most of the time what really matters is adapting to the NHL or finally being put into a situation. Players suddenly break out all the time but most of the time it's because they've been in the NHL for a couple years and finally gotten used to it or finally got a shot at consistent top 6 minutes or consistent power-play minutes. There's a reason a lot of these guys that break into the league at a young age peak a lot earlier than people expect,there's a reason the Wings keep having players peak at a later age than normal. With a guy like Eberle who's been in the league for a few years now and has had good minutes(20 minutes/game this year 19 minutes/game last year etc),linemates(make fun of the Oilers all you want Taylor Hall is a damn good offensive Winger),and power-play time(over 3 minutes/game each of the last three years) for years now what you see is often pretty much what you get. It's possible that he could have a big jump still because it does happen sometimes,but i'd be surprised if he was ever more than a consistent 70 point guy.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Very true. But I still think Mantha is the only one that has a shot at being as good as Eberle. Two weeks ago people were complaining about Nyquist like it was there job, justified or not. Eberle has been "realgud" since his first NHL shift. It's all kind of moot because the only forward you have to give up is Jurco to get Eberle. Nyquist stays. Tatar stays. Mantha stays.

EDM fan agreed to this:

To DET:
Eberle
2nd or 3rd

To EDM
Mrazek
Sproul
Jurco

Given how good the Red Wings are at drafting, that's a fair deal. This would never happen IRL but I would seriously consider doing this and would probably end up doing it. Mrazek may turn into the top 10 goalie we think he can be. If Sproul's defensive game improves he may end up being a #2. Jurco may turn into a 70+ point player. We know what Eberle is. He's the best player in that deal.

Man, giving up one of our best right handed offensive d-man prospects? It's not like we have a lot of those. Plus the kid who's done nothing but win at pretty much every level.

Jurco I can deal with. We have a ton of great wingers in the pipeline and the kids this year are showing just how capable they are. But on our backend, I'd rather not.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

EDM fan agreed to this:

To DET:
Eberle
2nd or 3rd

To EDM
Mrazek
Sproul
Jurco

Even with Eberle being the best player in the deal, I doubt the Wings would do that. It's just too much total potential leaving the organization. I don't think it's a realistic offer or request anyway. It's more likely to be along the lines of 1 good roster player + 1 top prospect + 1 high draft pick for Eberle + maybe 1 low-end prospect.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i wouldn't move mrazek unless it's for (in a package ofc) for #1 dman or #1 center (or potential one as those rarely get moved). for now at least.

eberle is good player but i agree with drw02's points here.

he's very good player but wings have similar players and he's not THAT big of an upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino