Possible trade and roster fixes for the Wings, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hell, put Franzen on that second line for Weiss, dump Weiss, put Abby back on the top line. Whatever, he's been good there this year.

Seems like, with the way Sheahan has come along, Weiss is getting pretty expendable as a center. And we have more than enough wingers already.

Franzen doesn't play well with Datsyuk.

And Abdelkader is not a top 6 forward. Despite his recent hot streak. He doesn't belong. That 3rs wheel on the Z-Nyquist line needs to be a goal scorer, and Mule is the perfect fit.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hell, put Franzen on that second line for Weiss, dump Weiss, put Abby back on the top line. Whatever, he's been good there this year.

Seems like, with the way Sheahan has come along, Weiss is getting pretty expendable as a center. And we have more than enough wingers already.

Dump Weiss... like where and how? Easier said than done.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Dump Weiss... like where and how? Easier said than done.

I'm saying in the, to me unlikely scenario, that Weiss just never returns to form. If Wings retain salary and blah blah blah, I'm sure there's a team willing to take a chance on him. Look at all the players around the league that can find a team somehow. Weiss is not a terrible player.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
How does Edler not end up playing for the Wings? I feel like it's a match made in heaven for both the Wings and Canucks. Wings have a stocked shelf when it comes to forward prospects and thats what the Canucks need. Wings need to fix their defense, and figure out a way to ice the entire Swedish Olympic team.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
How does Edler not end up playing for the Wings? I feel like it's a match made in heaven for both the Wings and Canucks. Wings have a stocked shelf when it comes to forward prospects and thats what the Canucks need. Wings need to fix their defense, and figure out a way to ice the entire Swedish Olympic team.

The Wings refuse to give up the assets the Canucks demand?

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
So that would be? Absolutely have zero interest in trading Nyquist, Sheahan, Tatar, Jurco or Mantha.

Totally agree. I offered something like 1st, Pulkkinen, Almqvist, and a cap dump.

what do you mean?

I just expect if a deal were to happen, it would be similar to the Schneider deal. Not quite what anyone expects and not nearly the value that Canucks fans hoped for. Kind of a vague explanation, but that's just how I see it going down.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm saying in the, to me unlikely scenario, that Weiss just never returns to form. If Wings retain salary and blah blah blah, I'm sure there's a team willing to take a chance on him. Look at all the players around the league that can find a team somehow. Weiss is not a terrible player.

I think we just have to be patient for 2 seasons and give this guy a chance. After 2 seasons, if he never returns to his old form, we can think about a buyout and at same time Järnkrok could be ready to jump in from AHL.

That's the point when we decide what to do with Weiss. A regular buyout after 2 seasons would not be that bad.

Stephen Weiss is 32 years old on the buyout date of June 15, 2015, setting the buyout ratio at 2/3 and the total buyout cost at $10,666,667 spread over 6 years. His contract was originally valued at $24,500,000 beginning in 2013 and ending in 2018, with $16,000,000 remaining from the buyout year forward. The following is a season-by-season breakdown of the buyout. A negative buyout cap hit indicates a credit.
BUYOUT DETAILS
Code:
SEASON	SALARY	CAP HIT	BUYOUT	SAVINGS	BUYOUT CAP HIT
2015-16	$6,000,000	$4,900,000	$1,777,778	 $4,222,222	 $677,778
2016-17	$6,000,000	$4,900,000	$1,777,778	 $4,222,222	 $677,778
2017-18	$4,000,000	$4,900,000	$1,777,778	 $2,222,222	 $2,677,778
2018-19	$0,000,000	$0,000,000	$1,777,778	-$1,777,778 $1,777,778
2019-20	$0,000,000	$0,000,000	$1,777,778	-$1,777,778 $1,777,778
2020-21	$0,000,000	$0,000,000	$1,777,778	-$1,777,778 $1,777,778

Cap is gonna rise a lot and if our prospect system keep producing cheap kids, we will have lots of cap space to deal with that. Dead weight, but quite a bit less than current situation.

DRW

Jan 4, 2014
Gothenburg
David Rundblad doesnt seem to be playing much for Phoenix.
Is he labeled a bust now?

He could be worth a shot, righty and pmd.
Andersson +3 round pick for Rundbland?

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
I think we just have to be patient for 2 seasons and give this guy a chance. After 2 seasons, if he never returns to his old form, we can think about a buyout and at same time Järnkrok could be ready to jump in from AHL.

That's the point when we decide what to do with Weiss. A regular buyout after 2 seasons would not be that bad.

Cap is gonna rise a lot and if our prospect system keep producing cheap kids, we will have lots of cap space to deal with that. Dead weight, but quite a bit less than current situation.

Sorry, table is kind of confusing. So the cap hits are $677,778, $677,778 ,$2,677,778, $1,777,778, $1,777,778, $1,777,778?

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
The Wings refuse to give up the assets the Canucks demand?

I think Edler would be worth the price if they wanted one of the Wings better forward prospects. I think Edler just needs a change of scenery. It's not like he suffered a brutal injury that has robbed him of his game.

A combo of Kronwall and Edler on your top two pairings would actually allow the Wings to implement a good defense by committee, and not just do it poorly.

Factor in age, and you have a few years of stability on defense, before Kronwall starts to decline.

I do wish Edler was a RH shot. Now that would be like winning the lottery.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Edler has a NTC as well. He gets to pick his team. NTC trades never get top value.

This is an ideal situation for the Wings. Thanks, Torts!

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Sorry, table is kind of confusing. So the cap hits are $677,778, $677,778 ,$2,677,778, $1,777,778, $1,777,778, $1,777,778?

yes.

I think Edler would be worth the price if they wanted one of the Wings better forward prospects. I think Edler just needs a change of scenery. It's not like he suffered a brutal injury that has robbed him of his game.

A combo of Kronwall and Edler on your top two pairings would actually allow the Wings to implement a good defense by committee, and not just do it poorly.

Factor in age, and you have a few years of stability on defense, before Kronwall starts to decline.

to certain extent. he has had some back problems and iirc, has said something like that it will never be 100% again.

but he produced fine with it last year and the season before.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

Yeah I was basically head scratching this offseason when we signed him for 5 years. Granted he has been damaged goods this year so far. But Sheahan is ready to play in the nhl now and Ironhook I believe will be ready in 1-2 years.

5 million for a potential 3rd line center is a bit steep. But realistically if he can't make it back to a top 6 center that is what we will be faced with. I could have understood if we signed him for 3 years but 5 I believe is a bit too long unless we want to move him to wing or move sheahan or ironhook to wing.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Yeah I was basically head scratching this offseason when we signed him for 5 years. Granted he has been damaged goods this year so far. But Sheahan is ready to play in the nhl now and Ironhook I believe will be ready in 1-2 years.

5 million for a potential 3rd line center is a bit steep. But realistically if he can't make it back to a top 6 center that is what we will be faced with. I could have understood if we signed him for 3 years but 5 I believe is a bit too long unless we want to move him to wing or move sheahan or ironhook to wing.

Didn't really have a whole lot of choices. If Flip walked out and he brought in no one to replace him, fans would have given him hell. Every 2C this offseason wanted 5 years pretty much (Weiss, Flip, Lecavalier, Ribeiro kinda). I'd take Weiss over a 33 year old Lecavalier. Although I really would have liked Grabovski..

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Didn't really have a whole lot of choices. If Flip walked out and he brought in no one to replace him, fans would have given him hell. Every 2C this offseason wanted 5 years pretty much (Weiss, Flip, Lecavalier, Ribeiro kinda). I'd take Weiss over a 33 year old Lecavalier. Although I really would have liked Grabovski..

The thing is though we didn't even need him. Franzen can play as a 2c. Or a kid could jump in and grow into the role (sheahan). Helm can also bump up to 2c not the best choice but if (like now) franzen got hurt we could spot fill while he is recovering.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Please let me go back in time and get Grabo for a year and then extend him... Pleeeeease. Especially for what he signed for with the Caps, Jesus.

I agree ultimately with the plan to put D/Z together. They were great when they were healthy this year, and they are both getting much older now. While they can both center their own line if they need to, a true 2C would definitely make us a stronger team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

I think Edler could be a slightly better 1st PP quarterback than Kronwall is. Then Kronner could eat bigger defensive minutes. Like, we are not getting that shut-down defenceman, but we could use our own guy Kronwall more in those situations. It helps the team in general.

1st PP
Dats - Zeta - Mule
Edler - Alfie

2nd PP
Nyquist - Sheahan - Weiss/Jurco
Kronwall - DeKeyser/Smith

(Tatar is traded for Edler)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad