GDT: Panthers @ Avalanche - 12/14/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Also wouldn’t mind Brick-Mccann-Bjugs line back together, see if they can find that chemistry again. Put Malgin on Tro’s wing with McGinn....

Sadly, we don’t have a real 1D pairing, as improved as Ekblad has played, him and Yandle can’t handle top lines regularly

catEye

The Barkov Era
Dec 27, 2008
Miami, FL.
There's only one elite player and that's Barkov. ppl like to find ways to sugar coat these garbage bin finds.

Tried to make that point and was run over by a stampede. Too much attachment with "good players" confusing it with "elite" talent because of the mediocre garbage we had before. You have to give something good to get balance good back. But people just want to trade the Petroshits and the Pissys, and expect a great return back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Tried to make that point and was run over by a stampede. Too much attachment with "good players" confusing it with "elite" talent because of the mediocre garbage we had before. You have to give something good to get balance good back. But people just want to trade the Petroshits and the Pissys, and expect a great return back.

If Borgström can make it as a center, I’d be OK trading Trocheck for a winger in the future. I know I will get lynched but think Tro is overrated

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Just got out of the game. I have to say that was easily the softest Panthers team I’ve ever seen live. Wow are they soft as tissue paper. McCann was very good imo. Other than that, Barkov and Reiner looked good. Weegar was just bad.

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
No, just Trocheck, in the future once Borgström takes his spot... never said he was trash, just overrated, don’t overreact...dude
We never trade our players when they have peak market value. We either hold onto them for too long and trade for peanuts or we lose them thru FA or expansion drafts. Its why weve been so garbage for so long. No unified direction or proper rebuild. And our drafting/developing is pretty shit too

EDIT: Bjugstad is bad at hockey

Reactions: Kid Icarus

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i think we need at least, bare minimum, 6 impact offensive players, which 3 being centers so we can run 2 on each line and go 3 lines deep:

???-Barkov-???
Huberdeau-Trocheck-???
???-Borgstrom-Dadonov

borg will be one so we need to find a way to add one more. i want dadonov with borgstrom, give him at least 1 skilled player. huberdeau can play with either barkov or trocheck but i want a hoffman/pacioretty-esk player hopefully with barkov. bjugstad can round out that 2nd line, mcginn can round out that 3rd line and give them a physical forechecking presence.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

catEye

The Barkov Era
Dec 27, 2008
Miami, FL.
Bad teams finds a way to lose again. No shock.

Lol at the dude who's okay with trading Trocheck.

Why not trade Ekblad and Barkov too. They're trash too.

Trade everyone and move the team.

I think Barkov and Eklbad should be the only ones off the trading block tbh. Ekblad with that contract would be a no go anyways.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
i think we need at least, bare minimum, 6 impact offensive players, which 3 being centers so we can run 2 on each line and go 3 lines deep:

Right but due to ownership Florida is cutting salary lol. 2018 roster:

Huberdeau-Barkov-Dadonov
Borgstrom-Trocheck-Bjugstad
McGinn-McCann-Malgin
Haley-MacKenzie-Brickley

Yandle-Ekblad
Matheson-Gudbranson
Pysyk-Weegar/McCoshen

I'm extremely confident Florida's lineup looks similar to this next year.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
The adrenaline rush from all the gritty play the last two games has worn off. Played hard the first 10 minutes then faded bad the rest of the period. Crappy Avs team took a patented Cat Nap in the 2nd and all we could do is score a Shorty thanks to McCann. In the 3rd they had a push but then nothing down the stretch as they couldn't even get out of their own end. Soft goal on the 2nd by Reimer but an even softer position by Ek as he got beat to the outside. Reimer played well enough to win. This one is on the rest of the team as the are "running on empty." :)

Last edited:

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
MacKinnon stepping by Ekblad on the GWG.

I don't remember when seeing someone transition from skating backwards to going forward looking that difficult as Ekblad makes it look

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

I don't remember when seeing someone transition from skating backwards to going forward looking that difficult as Ekblad makes it look
Mack goes by almost every d man in the league like that ekblad has very good transitions and edge work and footwork.. ekblad played that decent and held Mack to a low danger chance.. Reimer can't let that in period.. the guy at the other end didnt let in a softy and that was the difference

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

???-Barkov-???
Huberdeau-Trocheck-???
???-Borgstrom-Dadonov

borg will be one so we need to find a way to add one more
. i want dadonov with borgstrom, give him at least 1 skilled player. huberdeau can play with either barkov or trocheck but i want a hoffman/pacioretty-esk player hopefully with barkov. bjugstad can round out that 2nd line, mcginn can round out that 3rd line and give them a physical forechecking presence.

As well as he is doing in college, there is no guarantee Borg will be one.

Depch

Aug 27, 2006
Delete account
MacKinnon looking really good, he's picked it up. Gotta give credit when it's due, that skating with constant effort is phenomenal.

Lack of secondary scoring is hurting at the moment. The main offensive guys in Barkov, Huberdeau, Dadonov, Trocheck have their ppg:s up where we can't ask really for more, career bests on going already. Vrbata and Trocheck don't work and we really don't have a playmaker with ability other than Huberdeau-Barkov to put up with Vrbata to excel. He's a likeable guy and I'd want to see him succeed. The problem for me with Trocheck atm. is that he seems to not have the ability to lift the other players on his line up, he's the clear go to guy and doing things on himself. While his numbers are truly great the #2 line totals are off, now you can blame the wingers for that but there is responsibility for the center as well, good centers put their linemates to a position to succeed as well. Also was the chemistry between Brickley-McCann-Bjugstad a fluke to begin with to not try that again? This is what was expected however when things don't work and if it is like this then it's just trades or waiting for future to get that depth going on. You don't want to give too much value up on a trade and it can't be only a temporary solution either which is making it tough to pull off. Good things ahead in the prospect world however, even Mascherin is putting up good numbers as of late, if he'd work out it could be a fix from within to LW depth making trades this season that much harder to do.

Been thinking some time now that the first defensive pairing has actually been looking quite fine. Ekblad is finding ways to be in the right places more and more often and sticking up to his players better so that the skating mentioned early in the season has not showed up in such a negative ways to my eyes at all. And still room to improve, gonna be good. Defense has been all right the past few games, even vs Winnipeg imo where we let in a couple of flukes. Those who complain about all mistakes lack perspective, no such thing as a flawless player exists and young guys tend to learn from their mistakes.

I liked the confidence Reimer showed, he's been good enough lately regardless of a slip here or there.

Also regarding the game itself didn't McCann say that the team was actually being sick during the 2nd intermission and they just have to fight through it. I kinda missed that and just overheard something along the lines. They looked like they were gassed all the time from 30min onwards at least, like no energy left and Colorado is a tougher place to play to begin with in higher altitude in theory at least. Meh, not going to put too much in to it. Good thing there's many days of rest now before playing Vegas. Now that's going to be an interesting one. :D

Last edited:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Huberdeau is 6th overall in points. 2nd in assists among LW. He's pretty much elite. Not sure what else you want from him. Or you can say "One of the best left wings in the game" and now it's merely semantics we're arguing over.

Trading Trocheck would be a huge mistake.

We need to add to the core. That's the issue with this team. We're top heavy in the forward position. We lack quality depth on the wings from 2nd line on and bottom 6 center needs improvement. McCann is too inconsistent although I like what he brings at times.

Defense is too inconsistent. Part of that is inexperience and part of that is they may not be that good. Pysyk is a wild card right now. Good last year, terrible this year. I'm not sure what we have in him. Matheson shows flashes of brilliance and flashes of being a disaster. Again, consistency which can come with experience.

Goaltending is not as good as we'll need it to be. Too inconsistent overall.

Team has some great pieces and a lot of holes to fill. Borg and Hepo should help the top 9 offensively. The D needs a veteran on the second or third pair to settle things down. My biggest concern is goaltending.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Is it me or does it seem like Pysyk always has above average offensive chances but has zero offensive skill to convert? Reminds me of Willie Mitchell, Kulikov, Gudbranson days of the play dying on their sticks. Not trying to get into a debate of who is better, just saying, the play almost always dies on Pysyk's stick like it used to on those three.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Can't score goals ? Its because of FWD depth. Dadonov is working his way back in. Malgin didn't do much.

Mcginn is a useful player but not a Top 6 FWD. Vrbata is useless. Brickely is a 4th liner. Sceviour is good bottom 6 FWD. Halely and Mckenzie are replacement players but nothing special.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013

Ekblad has been brutally slow since he stepped into the league. I’d trade him for the right deal honestly.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I'd also consider trading Ekblad, his skating will prevent him from being a top pair guy long-term. Sure, he'll be a good top 4, but 7.5 per is way too high.

Barkov, Huberdeau and Trocheck are the only 3 guys with any significant value on this team right now. You can start trading guys like Bjugstad, Petro, McGinn, Mack, Sceviour, etc. but it won't do anything in terms of improving the team short term. We need to accept the fact that this year is a write off. Get as many assets as we can at the deadline, make some moves at the draft and pray that guys like Tippett and Borgstrom (maybe Hepo) can play full time next year and make an impact. If not, we're in for another write off next season as well.

The day Gallant got fired set this team back 2, maybe 3 years and we're seeing it first hand right now.

Reactions: I am not exposed
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad