Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Further to the discussion at the end of the previous game thread....

Realistically, we need to put together a win streak of at least4-5 games sometime very soon in order to get back into the playoff picture. We also can't afford to lose more than like 2 in a row the rest of the way. Honestly don't think this team is capable of it, but we'll see.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Further to the discussion at the end of the previous game thread....

Realistically, we need to put together a win streak of at least4-5 games sometime very soon in order to get back into the playoff picture. We also can't afford to lose more than like 2 in a row the rest of the way. Honestly don't think this team is capable of it, but we'll see.

I think we could if we could get some help in the middle 6 depth and a solid backup/potential starter goalie via trades. Sooner the better.

Add a winger and get a guy to split the load with Reimer.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Feel much better with Dads and Malgy back in the lineup, now if Vrbata could have chemistry with literally anyone, that'd be great.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I think we could if we could get some help in the middle 6 depth and a solid backup/potential starter goalie via trades. Sooner the better.

Add a winger and get a guy to split the load with Reimer.

I don't see how you add to this team, not when it hasn't shown much of anything this year. Just too many holes.

Although seemingly just three points out of it atm, Boston has three games at hand and have won 8 out of their last 10. In reality we are probably seven points out which is the case for all the other teams in the league except Buffalo and Arizona.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I don't see how you add to this team, not when it hasn't shown much of anything this year. Just too many holes.

Although seemingly just three points out of it atm, Boston has three games at hand and have won 8 out of their last 10. In reality we are probably seven points out which is the case for all the other teams in the league except Buffalo and Arizona.

I'm just going off the comments/rumors that have been circling this team. Petrovic trade block supposedly and Luongo getting injured. As a fan, I know this season isn't super promising, but it gets tiring waiting for the process or patience. Other fans are showing it when the team plays at home, with it looking like a ghost town.
Now I'm not advocating dealing the first round pick, or Borgstrom, but I don't think the pieces I would cost a fortune. It comes to a point if they'll keep status quo, might as well just turn off the TV and do something else.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I'm just going off the comments/rumors that have been circling this team. Petrovic trade block supposedly and Luongo getting injured. As a fan, I know this season isn't super promising, but it gets tiring waiting for the process or patience. Other fans are showing it when the team plays at home, with it looking like a ghost town.
Now I'm not advocating dealing the first round pick, or Borgstrom, but I don't think the pieces I would cost a fortune. It comes to a point if they'll keep status quo, might as well just turn off the TV and do something else.
My motivation to watch panthers games comes simply on a game by game basis. I'm expecting to be watching other teams in the first round of playoffs and picking teams I want to see lose.

But for now, I'm looking for improvements in team and individual play. One, would I support coach Boughner to stay? Two, will the first line become one of the best in hockey? Three, will Dmen specifically and team defense in general improve to the point that in principle we're in every game? Four, will Bjugstad regain his form fully? Five, what's our goalie future? Six, will we beat GG? Seven, how quickly will our young guns mature? Eight, will the owners sell or actually get interested in a winning product on ice? Etc etc.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

We need a top 6 forward which is not cheap. Even if it's just secondary pieces I see too many holes to fill. The cost would add up filling those holes and at the end of the day, this team isn't a team you add to. We aren't really in a status quo, the team has been in a downtrend the last two seasons.

People are bitching about Tallon all the time but adding to this team would be going against all odds/traditional wisdom and a desperation move if anything. Those types of moves are the ones that GMs get torn apart later on.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Chris Neil just retired. Perfect time to convince him to come take a vacay.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
We need a top 6 forward which is not cheap. Even if it's just secondary pieces I see too many holes to fill. The cost would add up filling those holes and at the end of the day, this team isn't a team you add to. We aren't really in a status quo, the team has been in a downtrend the last two seasons.

People are *****ing about Tallon all the time but adding to this team would be going against all odds/traditional wisdom and a desperation move if anything. Those types of moves are the ones that GMs get torn apart later on.

Long term, we need to hope that one or two prospects hit their ceiling, or come damn near close to it.
For now, I'm not expecting a legit top 6 winger. That should come hopefully from Borg, Tippett or Masch.
I mean if we could acquire the next Pirri type of prospect waiting to get a solid chance in the NHL that would be fine with me for this season. Flawed player but offers something worth while in scoring/potential. Josh Leivo from Toronto could fit that bill.

Just be surprised if they actually play Reimer almost every game.

Again, not asking for a blockbuster.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Just be surprised if they actually play Reimer almost every game.
You don't know Mr. Boo. This is a guy who has played Barkov and Tro beyond reasonable expectations. Barkov is already showing signs of wear and tear and Tro should eventually begin to break down from fatigue or worse sustain a cheap shot because safe position logic goes out the window when exhaustion sets in. He will likely face more cheap shots ala Myers as the season progresses as his fatigue awareness heads south.

Now Bobby Boo is blaming a lack of talent as the reason we are more feisty because we have to be. He has briefly mentioned in the past that we lack talent depth. He is trying to rationalize the reason for playing these guys into the ground. This is all from a guy who was very excited about the roster before taking the job as they were not being used properly as explained in his 3 ring notebook.

You have to ask yourself if it really made sense to play Lu so much because Reimer was having a tough time. He is asking an almost 40 yr old goaltender with recent lower body injuries and surgeries to carry the load like he was 30 again. Lu being put on the shelf for 2 months was a predictable outcome. The only thing that will save this team from another post season of tee times will be a super human effort by Reimer and a miracle turn around in secondary scoring from a group of young prospects like Malgin and McCann along with Nick getting 20 or more. :(

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
You don't know Mr. Boo. This is a guy who has played Barkov and Tro beyond reasonable expectations. Barkov is already showing signs of wear and tear and Tro should eventually begin to break down from fatigue or worse sustain a cheap shot because safe position logic goes out the window when exhaustion sets in. He will likely face more cheap shots ala Myers as the season progresses as his fatigue awareness heads south.

Now Bobby Boo is blaming a lack of talent as the reason we are more feisty because we have to be. He has briefly mentioned in the past that we lack talent depth. He is trying to rationalize the reason for playing these guys into the ground. This is all from a guy who was very excited about the roster before taking the job as they were not being used properly as explained in his 3 ring notebook.

You have to ask yourself if it really made sense to play Lu so much because Reimer was having a tough time. He is asking an almost 40 yr old goaltender with recent lower body injuries and surgeries to carry the load like he was 30 again. Lu being put on the shelf for 2 months was a predictable outcome. The only thing that will save this team from another post season of tee times will be a super human effort by Reimer and a miracle turn around in secondary scoring from a group of young prospects like Malgin and McCann along with Nick getting 20 or more. :(
You do realize he was hired before the expansion draft, which was before our forward depth was gutted.

What is your solution? More minutes to Derek MacKenzie? Would you like to take Barkov off the PK and make it worse? Or maybe the PP and make that worse?

He doesn't have any other options but to play them a lot.

SimbaThePanther

Jul 3, 2015
Sweden
You do realize he was hired before the expansion draft, which was before our forward depth was gutted.

What is your solution? More minutes to Derek MacKenzie? Would you like to take Barkov off the PK and make it worse? Or maybe the PP and make that worse?

I certainly would not take Barkov or Trocheck off the PP. However, I do think Boughner do play the first unit a bit too much (which both are part of). If they feel the 2nd unit lacks talent, they should look to spread some of the talent out a little bit more.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014

What a lame excuse, you always have choices.

Just look at the numbers: Huby, Barkov, Tro are all averaging over 20 minutes a night with Dadonov right behind at 19:46. This is just insane. Barkov was averaging over 23 minutes a night but since his injury he's down about a minute to 22:25.......insanity personified. He still leads all forwards in the NHL in average TOI per game.

The next group of forwards start with Nick at 14:46, then McGinn at 14:03. We then have 4 guys in the 13 minute range followed by the rest in the 11 minute range with Haley last at a little over 7 minutes. Coming down the stretch or in OT these 4 or 5 guys look to be skating with a 75 lb pack on their back. Needless to say, it will catch up with them just as it did after the West Coast trip last year. :(

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
What a lame excuse, you always have choices.

Just look at the numbers: Huby, Barkov, Tro are all averaging over 20 minutes a night with Dadonov right behind at 19:46. This is just insane. Barkov was averaging over 23 minutes a night but since his injury he's down about a minute to 22:25.......insanity personified. He still leads all forwards in the NHL in average TOI per game.

The next group of forwards start with Nick at 14:46, then McGinn at 14:03. We then have 4 guys in the 13 minute range followed by the rest in the 11 minute range with Haley last at a little over 7 minutes. Coming down the stretch or in OT these 4 or 5 guys look to be skating with a 75 lb pack on their back. Needless to say, it will catch up with them just as it did after the West Coast trip last year. :(

I'd let McCann to have more minutes both on 5vs5 and PK even though he's still learning the ropes. Haley is a useful one even though he's an enforcer i.e. more minutes for him. Booger operates very much in a game-to-game basis rather than looking at the long term ramifications of his decisions. I don't think this team is still up for playoffs let alone being a legitimate contender when majority of the roster is quite young and a lot of talent that is projected to be in significant roles is still in the minors. When Dale trades a 1st round pick, we all should know then that the upcoming season is one that the mgmt expects to go from in-progress to winning.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I'd let McCann to have more minutes both on 5vs5 and PK even though he's still learning the ropes. Haley is a useful one even though he's an enforcer i.e. more minutes for him. Booger operates very much in a game-to-game basis rather than looking at the long term ramifications of his decisions. I don't think this team is still up for playoffs let alone being a legitimate contender when majority of the roster is quite young and a lot of talent that is projected to be in significant roles is still in the minors. When Dale trades a 1st round pick, we all should know then that the upcoming season is one that the mgmt expects to go from in-progress to winning.
He's treading water to keep from drowning with the hopes that they will squeak into the playoffs. He's also putting his core players at risk for serious LT injuries that put their careers at risk.

I can understand giving these guys bloated TOI early in the season until the younger guys gain experience. The time has come to give these guys more playing time. If they haven't learned the system or gained enough experience by now to to help the team then I have to conclude that Mr. Boo is one of those coaches who doesn't feel comfortable playing young inexperienced players and never will. It's not unusual in the NHL as many head coaches loath young prospects unless they are off the chart skilled and talented........... it's just that Mr. Boo is really skewing that mantra. :)

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Everyone is going to have something to say about everything. Someone isn't going to like our best guys playing so much just like some didn't like Gallant rolling 4 lines every game.

-ghoste

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Coach is doing what he can to win games. Period. He’s doing a heck of a job too. I’m not worried about Barkov. He’s a horse who can handle these minutes. Or we can play the others and lose a lot more games if that would make everyone here happy. Some of the opinions here are an absolute joke and I’m shocked at the [mod]. Before it was not enough Ice time for the top guys. Now the same [mod] r complaining about too much. Learn hockey and enjoy the game while we’re still in it. f***ing joke

Last edited by a moderator:

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Also those whining about bjugstad being on top line or not producing. Lol at that. Goals in 3 of his last 6 games. That’s production. He’s producing so suck it up and accept that he’s better than u haters want to believe

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Good for him.

Let’s see if he can continue to produce or if he does his patented disappearing act.

Still rather have Smith or March.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad