Speculation: NYR FIRESALE

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Great point Bern, but I still look to move Kreider for max return. His stock is dropping like a rock. (A very FAST rock).
If I interpret your reply accurately, you would suggest that the NYR should have stuck with Chytil and move Andersen up when ready?
That I agree with, but would mean canning the coach....which I have no problem with really.
How on earth is his stock dropping like a rock? He just had a career year at 26 and he's had a bad start like literally the entire team has save for one or two players.

Moving Kreider for anything less than robbery is a terrible move. He's one of our fastest players, one of our strongest players, one of our most productive players and one of our best possession players. A bad start along with the entire team doesn't change any of that. NYR is dramatically worse without him.

Reactions: bernmeister and Ori

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Gotta run for now, but let me extend courtesy reply w/follow up comment to any reply you have later.

McDonagh + Staal + NYR 2019 + 2020 2nds
for
Liljegren + Leafs 2018 1st + JVR expiring + cap dump Lupul + Marincin

Why Toronto: Hungry to get the show on the road. Expiring JVR not believed returning, his cap enables Staal who they can cut next year. However, unlike NY, Leafs can actually use Staal at 3LD if limited to 10mins/nite and paired with speedy RD partner. Dump Lupul even if only LTIR expiring, and Marincin, for whom buyers remorse. Delayed 1 yr, but 2 2nds are nice. Obviously, McD is key, delivering now and next year at cut rate. Might walk, but they have inside track for 2 years to extend him if mutually acceptable deal can get done. Already pushing cap, but team can juggle a few bodies and stay under.
Why NY: gets value while reducing glut at LD
Lol.....BWAHAHAHA......no.

Reactions: Ori

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Gotta run for now, but let me extend courtesy reply w/follow up comment to any reply you have later.

for

Why Toronto: Hungry to get the show on the road. Expiring JVR not believed returning, his cap enables Staal who they can cut next year. However, unlike NY, Leafs can actually use Staal at 3LD if limited to 10mins/nite and paired with speedy RD partner. Dump Lupul even if only LTIR expiring, and Marincin, for whom buyers remorse. Delayed 1 yr, but 2 2nds are nice. Obviously, McD is key, delivering now and next year at cut rate. Might walk, but they have inside track for 2 years to extend him if mutually acceptable deal can get done. Already pushing cap, but team can juggle a few bodies and stay under.

I don't think your value is bad at all so good job on that but I don't think the Leafs can saddle themselves with Staals contract considering the impending raises for the kids.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

for

isnt Mcdonagh LD? value aside it would mean one of gardiner or rielly would need to switch to the other side which i feel like babs is not a fan of.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
@bernmeister have tried to deal & wheel for Zucc the last years for assets, but he don`t understand how important creative players are for a team success the recent years, and we`ve been a playoffs team since 2014 even in the cup final when Crosby was denied any goals in playoffs in 2014! ))
And Ryan Mc. in top conditions some years back, but it`s history now. :)
Yeah well said @Liferleafer - we will have hard time to move his contract - more likely another buyout in near future. That`s what happened with Girardi last summer.
We need Zucc to get Lias Andersson a good start in NHL for instant in next year training camp - he will probably get a new two years deal next year.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
1. Leafs show is on the road.

2. I like McD but I'm not interested in trading Lily and a 1st in 18 for McD who has 1 year left on his contract and then big dollars. We have to sign our players first before we see what fits. We need a solid RHD and Lily is a RHD. What he becomes remains to be seen, but I'd like to see. Dermott + Lily = ELC moving forward at present. Leaf fans are very excited for these 2. 18 is a very strong draft year and we can get another solid player.

3. If anything, I'd like to move JVR for an additional 1st (but unlikely). If not, he has expressed heavy interest in remaining. If he walks, so be it.

4. No need to dump Lupul. He is LTIR and this is his last year. Contract done forever.

5. Marincin can stay in the AHL. Zero concern.

Didn't mean to suggest show is on the road at all, just that we think a jump start gets you from contender to more serious finalist.

We agree Marincin is a meaningless throw in for cap. JVR, you are not getting top return, kicking him in for McD is worth more than his production.

As for point 2, that's your call. I believe either Gardiner or Reilly can flip if nec.
But either way you have to decide if you want to build and go stronger in 2 or so years, or if you wanna take a shot now, which obviously, is gonna have direct/indirect costs.

I don't think your value is bad at all so good job on that but I don't think the Leafs can saddle themselves with Staals contract considering the impending raises for the kids.
Thanks for the acknowledgment on the bold.
Staal can be bought out much more reasonably next year. That is your internal fallback option. Externally, you can deal him to a cap dweller for one or two lesser picks.

isnt Mcdonagh LD? value aside it would mean one of gardiner or rielly would need to switch to the other side which i feel like babs is not a fan of.
Yes, McD is LD.
That's a legit if not fair concern you've stated but my guess is, bottom line, it's worth it to obtain a significant add.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
1. Leafs show is on the road.

2. I like McD but I'm not interested in trading Lily and a 1st in 18 for McD who is a UFA in has 1 year left on his contract and then big dollars. We have to sign our players first before we see what fits. We need a solid RHD and Lily is a RHD. What he becomes remains to be seen, but I'd like to see. Dermott + Lily = ELC moving forward at present. Leaf fans are very excited for these 2. 18 is a very strong draft year and we can get another solid player.

3. If anything, I'd like to move JVR for an additional 1st (but unlikely). If not, he has expressed heavy interest in remaining. If he walks, so be it.

4. No need to dump Lupul. He is LTIR and this is his last year. Contract done forever.

5. Marincin can stay in the AHL. Zero concern.
Didn't mean to suggest show is on the road at all, just that we think a jump start gets you from contender to more serious finalist.

We agree Marincin is a meaningless throw in for cap. JVR, you are not getting top return, kicking him in for McD is worth more than his production.

As for point 2, that's your call. I believe either Gardiner or Reilly can flip if nec.
But either way you have to decide if you want to build and go stronger in 2 or so years, or if you wanna take a shot now, which obviously, is gonna have direct/indirect costs.

Thanks for the acknowledgment on the bold.
Staal can be bought out much more reasonably next year. That is your internal fallback option. Externally, you can deal him to a cap dweller for one or two lesser picks.

Yes, McD is LD.
That's a legit if not fair concern you've stated but my guess is, bottom line, it's worth it to obtain a significant add.

The trouble is McD is a UFA year after next. I don't know many teams that have to pay Matthews/Marner/Nylander/McD all at the same time. Plus cap dump Staal. It would be a nightmare. Plus I'm not really interested in trading away a 1st rounder (seen it enough in Leaf times) and an 18 year old RHD (a position we are dying for) who currently has 3 points in 4 games of his first taste of the AHL/North America. Again, McD is great, but not today. Maybe when the above stuff is all figured out. The trio signed, Lily's progress etc.

Last edited:

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Nash + Grabner + Puempel + NYR 2018 2nd for Puljujarvi + EDM 2018 1st + cap dump Fayne +
Edmonton demoted Jesse Puljujarvi, with nice size and skating, but is he ready? Was he worth a 4OA? Nash 23 + Grabner 27 potted 50 last year, and it is not a stretch to see Nash at 30+ if he plays w/Draisatil + McDavid on PP. Both have size and speed and Grabner is a threat on the PK. Solidifies W talent level; Puempel may crack bottom 6, also solid depth add. Expedites removal of Fayne. JP may or may not turn into a great player, but he will certainly not do THAT this year. Loss of 1st partially offset by Ranger 2nd. Win now move but flip side is roster flexibility going forward with the acquisitions.
Rangers add youth and a pick.

Rangers make this trade in a second but will Nash waive his LNTC for Ed.?

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
NYR are in complete disarray. They need to make a trade that will just balance the lineup and letthem settle in.
I would 1000% trade Kreider+ for a legit NHL Center. Maybe Hayes & Kreider+ for Duchene?
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO THEY TRADE JT MILLER!!!!

I don't think Duchene is worth more than Kreider. Adding Hayes is over payment and opens up a different hole at C. Kreider is a solid talent.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
mcdonough for jaybo, Jake Walman and jordan Kyrou. bouw replaces mcdonagh and keeps the cap hits pretty close so u can still be competitive and you get two high end specs one very very very close to NHL ready in walman. Stlouis gets a fantastic shutdown and puck moving D to play a top pair with petro and form one of the best top pairs in the league.

maybe add a mid pick and a late draft pick as well? I'm sure ranger fans will see this and hate it but if you know who walman and kyrou are, then this kind of offer might entice you atleast a little bit.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Doesn't matter because Edm laughs this off.

Rangers have been overachieving for quite a while. I'm not sure why anybody is really shocked at how we're playing. We sucked in our own end for years, but when blocking and limiting shots on net was seem as having a good defense, nobody questioned it.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
mcdonough for jaybo, Jake Walman and jordan Kyrou. bouw replaces mcdonagh and keeps the cap hits pretty close so u can still be competitive and you get two high end specs one very very very close to NHL ready in walman. Stlouis gets a fantastic shutdown and puck moving D to play a top pair with petro and form one of the best top pairs in the league.

maybe add a mid pick and a late draft pick as well? I'm sure ranger fans will see this and hate it but if you know who walman and kyrou are, then this kind of offer might entice you atleast a little bit.

Rangers aren’t taking that

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
From Toronto:

McDonagh for 2018 1st, Liljegren and (Brown or Kapanen)

The thing that bothered me about the Brown, Bracco, Dermott offer is that none of those guts have top line/top pairing ceiling and that’s what would be required to move McDonagh from the Rangers. That’s why they would need Liljegren. Personally I am not very high on Bracco. I would give Toronto the option of Brown or Kapanen based on what they think is fair, but that would be my base for a deal.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
From Toronto:

McDonagh for 2018 1st, Liljegren and (Brown or Kapanen)

The thing that bothered me about the Brown, Bracco, Dermott offer is that none of those guts have top line/top pairing ceiling and that’s what would be required to move McDonagh from the Rangers. That’s why they would need Liljegren. Personally I am not very high on Bracco. I would give Toronto the option of Brown or Kapanen based on what they think is fair, but that would be my base for a deal.

If we trade McDonagh and the best piece coming back in Lilj, then we have bigger problems than our coaching staff in the organization.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If we trade McDonagh and the best piece coming back in Lilj, then we have bigger problems than our coaching staff in the organization.

Liljegren has 1 RHD potential. No one else on the Rangers sniffs that. Liljegren and Puljujarvi are the best pieces that I could realistically see on the table.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Doesn't matter because Edm laughs this off.

Rangers have been overachieving for quite a while. I'm not sure why anybody is really shocked at how we're playing. We sucked in our own end for years, but when blocking and limiting shots on net was seem as having a good defense, nobody questioned it.

Nope.
That's 50 goals, upside for more, size and speed, immediately, for futures. Possibly enough to push Oil into cup finals. That will not be so easily dismissed. Plus, it is not so much of a mortgage the future that they can't do it.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
With an extending time away from comfy NY home, maybe not, but for min. 1 season to play w/Drai/McDavid, I think he says yes. Whether he stays after that or not depends on what the market offers him, what Edm is willing to pay, and his/his family's own preferences.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Nope.
That's 50 goals, upside for more, size and speed, immediately, for futures. Possibly enough to push Oil into cup finals. That will not be so easily dismissed. Plus, it is not so much of a mortgage the future that they can't do it.

Are you kidding? Nash is a UFA. His best years are behind him. He's a good 2 way player, but not one you trade a recent high draft pick for. Nobody is looking at Grabner as this 30 goal scorer for years to come. He's also.....wait for it, A UFA. So we toss in Puempel,which doesn't make or break any deal, he's simply a toss in, and a 2nd while expecting a 1st back? This is really bad for EDM and they don't consider it. Do you think NYR taking back a cap dump like Fayne does any favors for EDM? He's alos a UFA.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Are you kidding? Nash is a UFA. His best years are behind him. He's a good 2 way player, but not one you trade a recent high draft pick for. Nobody is looking at Grabner as this 30 goal scorer for years to come. He's also.....wait for it, A UFA. So we toss in Puempel,which doesn't make or break any deal, he's simply a toss in, and a 2nd while expecting a 1st back? This is really bad for EDM and they don't consider it. Do you think NYR taking back a cap dump like Fayne does any favors for EDM? He's alos a UFA.
not kidding
can't have cake + eat it too
Oil either build
OR
splurge

presumption is they consider team close after last POs

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
No worries because Leafs aren't offering that. Well keep our worthless pieces in your eyes. The 18 year old RH offensive D with 3 points in 4 AHL games so far (new to North America) our 1st and 20 goal scoring/PKing Brown who just scored back to back game winners for us. It's all good. Plus Kappy who scores a couple of big goals against the Caps in the playoffs, can't make the team at the moment because we have Marner on the 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad