Speculation: NYR FIRESALE

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
I am not the type of Rangerfan that makes assumptions one week into the season. Speculation does not kill though, and with AV's current decision-making the future does not look too bright. Feel free to make this a fully open Rangers discussion... Assume everyone is on the table except Lundqvist, Skjei, Shatty, Buchnevich, Zibby and 2017 prospects.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I mean this clearly shows the problem with Rangers fans (I'm one of them) and the Rangers management:

Lundqvist is untouchable? Why?

He is 35, he has played a ton of regular season and playoff hockey and is not in his prime anymore. He makes $8.5 million. Rangers had a chance to keep a younger Talbot who is the number 1 in Edmonton now. Instead as always they resigned an aging player for a massive contract.

So now they have a team that is spending $8.5 on a 35 year old and $7.5 on a bum in Nash.

It's hard to fix this team now cause no one wants Nash and I doubt anyone wants Lundqvist at that price.

Oh and I love that the Rangers planned to compete for a Cup this season! What a joke.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
I mean this clearly shows the problem with Rangers fans (I'm one of them) and the Rangers management:

Lundqvist is untouchable? Why?

He is 35, he has played a ton of regular season and playoff hockey and is not in his prime anymore. He makes $8.5 million. Rangers had a chance to keep a younger Talbot who is the number 1 in Edmonton now. Instead as always they resigned an aging player for a massive contract.

So now they have a team that is spending $8.5 on a 35 year old and $7.5 on a bum in Nash.

It's hard to fix this team now cause no one wants Nash and I doubt anyone wants Lundqvist at that price.

Oh and I love that the Rangers planned to compete for a Cup this season! What a joke.

I just don't think Lundqvist will ever get traded A) because he's a franchise goalie and B) Noone will want his contract at 35. So it's pointless to entertain the idea unless its a bottom feeder team with a s***ton of capspace who are willing to part with fantastic prospects.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Rangers should definitely trade Lundqvist while he still has some value. It might even be as soon as this season that he becomes a net negative, and down the line he'll be impossible to get rid of. At that point, a full rebuild will be the only option, but the kickboost you could get for it by trading Lundqvist for futures immediately would be far more beneficial in the long run.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The Rangers actually have to be buyers. This was necessitated by their refusal to go full rebuild this summer.

They are locked into win-now at least for this season and next season.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I am not the type of Rangerfan that makes assumptions one week into the season. Speculation does not kill though, and with AV's current decision-making the future does not look too bright. Feel free to make this a fully open Rangers discussion... Assume everyone is on the table except Lundqvist, Skjei, Shatty, Buchnevich, Zibby and 2017 prospects.

If you were to truely do a fire sale then why in the hell is mid 30's Lundqvist not available, he is one of the first pieces move if your burning it down.

Reactions: Ori

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Kreider+McD for Reinhart+Nylander+Ghule+Moulson+2nd?

A bit scary that McD is only signed until 18/19.

Reinhart is at least a good top six forward, might become a 60 pts 1b. Nylander projects as a top six forward but is nowhere near his brothers level of play. Ghule is a really exciting d prospect, skilled and good skater, should be NHL-ready next year.

Moulson+2nd there for cap reasons and compensation.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY

Reinhart is at least a good top six forward, might become a 60 pts 1b. Nylander projects as a top six forward but is nowhere near his brothers level of play. Ghule is a really exciting d prospect, skilled and good skater, should be NHL-ready next year.

I'd rather a first than the last 3 pieces.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Don't want to be rude or anything but Lundqvist doesn't have the value that would make it worth while for the Rangers to even consider moving him.

His good days are behind him and I don't see anyone giving up a significant asset for a declining goaltender... especially for someone who likes to through his own team under the bus more often then not when things go south.

Reactions: Ori and jw2

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I don't think a deal for Kreider would work out with Buff. But the only players i'd be interested realistically are Kane, Okposo, or Bogo.

Bozak + JVR and we add?
No no.. realistically from Buff what I'd want for Kreider (realistically) would be Mittelstadt (although Buff would say no) or Reinhart

Bozzo+JVR I have no interest in for Kreider.

We are 6 games in..the players aren't at fault (although some blame goes to them) its mostly AV and Ruff. I want them both gone. The team has potential to be very good if used properly. We are notoriously slow starters anyway and our puck luck has been bad, we're very, very snake bit. Give it time and hope that AV gets fired. We're still a playoff team imo no need for a fire sale, we're still young and we obviously will improve. You think Colorado, Vegas, and Detroit will keep it up? The answer is no and neither will the Rangers

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

This is not a good deal. Rangers pass easily.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I'd rather a first than the last 3 pieces.
The Moulson cap dump has to be there and in no way would Buffalo trade this years first while being in last place.

Counter proposal: Would you be ok with a first round pick 2018 - but if top five becomes a 2019 first rounder?

You still get the second rounder as compensation for taking on Moulson but then Ghule is out of the picture.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The Moulson cap dump has to be there and in no way would Buffalo trade this years first while being in last place.

Counter proposal: Would you be ok with a first round pick 2018 - but if top five becomes a 2019 first rounder?

You still get the second rounder as compensation for taking on Moulson but then Ghule is out of the picture.

The Rangers aren’t taking Mouslon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->