NHL.com writers vote the Norris trophy

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
If Quinn wins, would that put him with Makar now? Was a discussion a few years back and was kind of scoffed at, but it's now looking like it could be a good debate pretty quick ehre.
If he repeats the year again. He definitely deserves an improved rep but we’ve seen two other Dmen stats blow up then come back down in the last two years

Makar was pacing 130 points well after Hughes came back down closer to 100, then his own play dropped hard after his injury. It’s definitely Hughes trophy this year and well earned

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Seriously? I was actually just joking. Bouch is my fav Oiler but I do get he's not a Norris candidate.lol

Yeah, I think he's pretty underrated, I just think it's a weird spot where he's not as good as Hughes/Fox/Makar and the Heiskanen/Dahlin/Dobson tier are struggling to break out past the legacy names like Josi/Hedman.

I think he's firmly in the Heiskanen/Dahlin/Dobson/McAvoy tier, though admittedly he's probably at the lower end of those guys.

Reactions: Czechboy

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If Quinn wins, would that put him with Makar now? Was a discussion a few years back and was kind of scoffed at, but it's now looking like it could be a good debate pretty quick ehre.
I'm a Canucks fan and Quinn should and will win the Norris but Makar is still viewed as the better Dman by most I would think and for a reason.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I mean, he's been pretty impressive, almost Hart worthy season. It should be something to consider at SOME point. It's getting tougher to ignore.

Also, I'm more of an Adam Fox guy myself. I think he get's shafted a wee bit too much.

I think the reason the topic gets dumped on is even if Makar comes in 2nd, that's 4 top 2 finishes with a win in 4 years and iirc a top 10 his rookie year.

If Makar closes the gap in the final quarter it's going to be tight, I still think voter bias will lean on the known entity and Hughes will have to show up a 2nd season to catch the full votes. Norris has a bit of a reputation to it.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
No not until he's shows some playoff dominance. Well deserved Norris this year though.
I'm not going to say that Hughes was dominant in his age 20 playoff but considering the team he was on that year it was a pretty impressive playoff.

Also it's not like the Avs as a team have been way better than the Canucks and are constructed much better, these 2 players aside than the Canucks are or have been during both players careers.

Hughes will win the Norris and Maakr will still be considered the best Dman in the league going into next season but that's still underappreciating how good Hughes has been for a while now.

Reactions: Tralfamadore

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Alright lads, Makar gained two points on Hughes tonight -- let's just gift the Norris now :sarcasm:

Reactions: xAvsx89

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
Kind of sad that Fox will only win 3-5 Norrises in his career when he'd probably deserve 7-10 of them.

• Haha
Reactions: Oak

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Apparently neither does a -2 (on for all 3 goals against) and being ass defensively all game lol.

Now down to 39 GF% without MacKinnon on the ice.

Oh well, of course they look better when they play together. Then they have a 58 GF% and a 55.5 xGF%!

MacKinnon without Makar on the ice: 65.31 GF%, 58.66 xGF%.

People usually talk about other players playing better next to McDavid and being statistically carried by him. Well, at least a guy like Draisaitl can hold his own without him. It's obvious that Makar is being carried this season.

I'm sorry, this is just not Makar's year.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

Oh well, of course they look better when they play together. Then they have a 58 GF% and a 55.5 xGF%!

People usually talk about other players playing better next to McDavid and being statistically carried by him. Well, at least a guy like Draisaitl can hold his own without him. It's obvious that Makar is being carried this season.

What site lets you check advanced stats removed from certain teammates?

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
What site lets you check advanced stats removed from certain teammates?

Then go to Players -> Line Tool -> Pick the team you wanna check and click and hit "Submit". Then you can choose the players you wanna compare.

Comes out like this:

SkärmklippWOWY.JPG

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I'm not going to say that Hughes was dominant in his age 20 playoff but considering the team he was on that year it was a pretty impressive playoff.

Also it's not like the Avs as a team have been way better than the Canucks and are constructed much better, these 2 players aside than the Canucks are or have been during both players careers.

Hughes will win the Norris and Maakr will still be considered the best Dman in the league going into next season but that's still underappreciating how good Hughes has been for a while now.

Won't lie this post went right over my head lol

But yes Hughes is legit

heksagon

Jul 27, 2010
Finland
It's between Hughes and Makar. Makar is better overall, but this might be Hughes' year.

Also, I wish we could consider players like Forsling, Slavin and Heiskanen in these discussions. But alas, it's become a point scoring trophy.

Reactions: cptjeff

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
It's between Hughes and Makar. Makar is better overall, but this might be Hughes' year.

Also, I wish we could consider players like Forsling, Slavin and Heiskanen in these discussions. But alas, it's become a point scoring trophy.
No no no no no, it's both. It just happens that Makar and Hughes are head and shoulders above Forsling, Slavin, and Heiskanen offensively (and then some). Hughes and Makar also very good defensively. The gap defensively speaking is miniscule compared to the gap in offense which is expansive.

In fact I'm getting sick and tired of hearing Slavin's f***in name in these. The dude has 24 points this year. He is not 3 times better defensively than Hughes or Makar, so there is no reason to even mention him here.

Reactions: wetcoast

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011

Who are you arguing against? I feel like everyone is on board with Hughes winning the Norris or they're just trolling.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00