NHL.com writers vote the Norris trophy

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Are you just butthurt that the second-pair scrub Darnell Nurse, who makes more money than Quinn Hughes, isn't being discussed as a potential nominee?

Not at all. Hughes would be a deserving winner. Just making an observation about the top 5 vote getters.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Looking forward to it! Of course, if Makar has a great game and Hughes doesn't it's because Makar is the awesomest and deserves the Norris immediately and I'll be in this thread to tell everyone about it as obnoxiously as possible. Unfortunately, if Hughes has a great game and Makar doesn't it's because the Avs played last night and the refs clearly favored the Canucks.

Just getting the rational, level-headed debate started here.

Don't worry, Demko is out a few weeks, so everyone has excuses ready.

Reactions: Avs44

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
offensively it’s pretty much neck and neck in terms of production but Hughes has actually been the better defensive player 5 on 5 by a good margin. He also gallops anyone in the league in total possession time with the puck, even more than McDavid.

As a Canuck fan obviously I want him to win and I think he should but it still going to take a spectacular playoffs + another year of defensive prowess for me to consider him at Makar’s level. And probably a bit more.

I do think Hughes is the best playmaking defenseman in the game. He has 3 consecutive 60+ assist seasons, and only 2 other defenseman have more (5 and 6 seasons) in NHL history. And he is not even 24 and half years old.

Last edited:

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
When it was Josi vs. Makar a couple years ago I was begrudgingly pro-Makar for Norris because he was having an excellent defensive season and it was one of Josi's worst in recent years. This year Hughes has been better all around IMO

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Do we mention defensive metrics at all? I know everyone wants to talk offensive stats, of which both Hughes and Makar have in spades, but Hughes plays less than a minute a game on PK and Makar averages nearly 3 minutes a game, more than Hedman, and only trailing Matheson in the top 10 defensive scorers in the league. Hughes also blocks far far fewer shots, hits less, and has games in hand on Makar.

I like Hughes, I am glad he will represent the USA as a top 2 defender in the world. I honestly think he's in the same stratosphere as Makar. But I would still take Cale 10 out of 10, and with obvious bias of course, but I think his all-around game is just better than Hughes.
I mean, PK TOI seems more of a "who else is available" if you have a superstar player, but then you also have some guys who are good on the PK. You'd rather put the guys who are good on the PK over your superstar.

Makar would be better served by having others play for him on the PK, so the Avs can utilize him more 5on5. Quinn plays 20:07 5on5/gp, 3:56 PP/GP, and 0:43 PK/GP. Meanwhile, Makar plays 17:57 5on5/gp, 4:12 PP/GP, and 2:46 PK/GP.

I would argue that giving Makar less PK ice time and using him more 5on5 would make him more impactful. Fox is in the same boat.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I mean, PK TOI seems more of a "who else is available" if you have a superstar player, but then you also have some guys who are good on the PK. You'd rather put the guys who are good on the PK over your superstar.

Makar would be better served by having others play for him on the PK, so the Avs can utilize him more 5on5. Quinn plays 20:07 5on5/gp, 3:56 PP/GP, and 0:43 PK/GP. Meanwhile, Makar plays 17:57 5on5/gp, 4:12 PP/GP, and 2:46 PK/GP.

I would argue that giving Makar less PK ice time and using him more 5on5 would make him more impactful. Fox is in the same boat.

By all metrics, Hughes has been the better defensive player 5v5 this season too, and Makar’s PK numbers aren’t very strong despite his minutes. I don’t think that means Hughes is the better player, but I think he’s had the better season

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If Quinn wins, would that put him with Makar now? Was a discussion a few years back and was kind of scoffed at, but it's now looking like it could be a good debate pretty quick ehre.
He would probably need to do it again for some to hold him in that high of standard, but yes, Hughes should be in the discussion as best defenseman in the world with Makar moving forward if he maintains his play from this season.

Reactions: CanuckCity

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
1710361183500.png

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
If Quinn wins, would that put him with Makar now? Was a discussion a few years back and was kind of scoffed at, but it's now looking like it could be a good debate pretty quick ehre.
No.

But if we mean on track to be one of those D rivals sure.

Makar just an FYI isn't my #2. I think McAvoy needs a lot of love. Morrissey & Fox as well.

Makar though will be in the talks but not this year.

Reactions: Aqualung

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It's Hughes by a mile. Surprised Makar got that many votes honestly.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I know the Norris goes to the "best" defenseman and that numbers which are offensive stats play a huge part.

I wish there was an award that was actually for defensmen doing you know defensive things. As an example Jaccob Slavin broke up a 3 on 1 rush last night against the Rangers by himself. I think that part gets overlooked from an award stand point. I also realize there really isn't a lot of metrics to be able to judge it so mostly it would be based on the dreaded "eye test" and opinions.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
I said before the season started that I thought Hughes was going to win the Norris and I might be right and he will win deservingly so for the great season he’s put together . I still hope Makar wins though because he’s still the best d man in the league imo. A handful of Canuck players are having career year and it’s impressive to see. Hughes is a beast but it’s not all him. See if they can replicate next year.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I said before the season started that I thought Hughes was going to win the Norris and I might be right and he will win deservingly so for the great season he’s put together . I still hope Makar wins though because he’s still the best d man in the league imo. A handful of Canuck players are having career year and it’s impressive to see. Hughes is a beast but it’s not all him. See if they can replicate next year.
Why should Makar win if he didn’t have the better season?

Should McDavid take the Hart away from MacKinnon if he wins it because McDavid is the best forward in the league?

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Why should Makar win if he didn’t have the better season?

Should McDavid take the Hart away from MacKinnon if he wins it because McDavid is the best forward in the league?
I said I hope not that he should. Just being a fan. Quinn definitely deserves the Norris this year.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I said I hope not that he should. Just being a fan. Quinn definitely deserves the Norris this year.
Oh no I understood that and respect that, just found that odd. I don’t fault anyone for rooting for “their” player, just found that reason to be an odd one. Rooting for the player you like more for personal reasons, sure.

Reactions: avsfan9

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
No, Hugues should, but to not even have him in the top 5 is hilarious.

Especially when it includes Hedman who is a forward at this point.
Fox is the new Quinn. While Quinn is finally getting the attention out east, it seems like Fox has been forgotten about.
For me Quinn, Cale and Fox are all a tier above the rest of the group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad