NHL.com writers vote the Norris trophy

Run the Gauntlet

May 12, 2022

AvalancheRy

Feb 13, 2009
That's just simply because people are too lazy to dig a little deeper and just looks at his point total and assumes he's doing what he usually does. Hedman was a Norris finalist a few years back too while having an awful season because of injuries. That didn't make it any more right, it just showed how the voters go by reputation when they vote. People have been very quick at dismissing Rantanen's game this season and he's been called overrated and flat out bad, despite putting up a massive number of points. Why are people so afraid of critizicing Makar? Why should he mindlessly get pushed for an award when there are other players out there who are having far better seasons? Dobson, Morrissey, Josi.. They're all having better seasons than Makar this year.

But just because you commented. What do you think those stats are saying? I look at them and think that MacKinnon is a true hero this year because he's carrying that team on his shoulders. The rest of the players are just his passengers. He keeps this up and I think the Hart is a slamdunk. But just because Makar is able to grab a lot of points through MacKinnon's dominance I don't think he should be considered for a top 5 Norris placement. I know he will though and he will for sure be a finalist by the end of the season simply because people are assuming stuff based on him being the, pretty much undisputed, #1D in the world.

I agree that other teams should be scared of the Avs. MacKinnon seems to be on a mission and I have a feeling that won't stop anytime soon.
For the record I totally agree w/ you that Makar shouldn't even get a Norris nod. He's hasn't been good defensively at all this season. You could tell without even looking at the stats. And as an Avs fan I hope some heat gets put on him to tighten up that aspect of his game heading into the playoffs. I don't even think he's been as good offensively lately either.

• Love
Reactions: Buck Naked

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Josh Morrissey is another one who gets overlooked and may be one of the most underrated D men in the league. He does it all for Winnipeg and has one of the best contracts for the next 4 years at 6.2 million/per. If he played in a bigger market he would be regarded as one if the best and would be talked about a lot more

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
For the record I totally agree w/ you that Makar shouldn't even get a Norris nod. He's hasn't been good defensively at all this season. You could tell without even looking at the stats. And as an Avs fan I hope some heat gets put on him to tighten up that aspect of his game heading into the playoffs. I don't even think he's been as good offensively lately either.

I totally agree with you there. Most of his fans are not as sober as you though, so much respect to you as an Avs fan!

Reactions: AvalancheRy

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
It's funny that offense count more this time, when Makar won his Norris, Josi had 96 points and was the first to do it since many many years.

Josi deserves a second Norris!

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
It's funny that offense count more this time, when Makar won his Norris, Josi had 96 points and was the first to do it since many many years.

Josi won Norris as second best scorer and lost Norris to second best scorer. Pretty consistent.

Reactions: Buck Naked

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I think he’s saying that missing 10 games shouldn’t take him out of the top 5 over worse defensemen who are scoring more points mainly because of those missed games

To be fair, "missed games" was the logic behind why Fox won the Norris over Makar a couple of years ago.

Bottom line, it's an exciting time for defense in hockey. There are 6 or 7 guys (with a few others knocking on the door) who could ALL push for the Norris in any given year. It reminds me of the 1990s where you had guys with legendary careers, but who only won the Norris once or twice because it was a golden age for defensemen. With this kind of talent, the question always has to be who is the best "this year" rather than name recognition. As such, missed games matter, because the margin between these guys is so thin.

Reactions: wetcoast

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022

I think Josi is actually playing better this year than his 96 point year, he seemed to be all out gunning for points most of that year and he's playing responsibly now while still scoring

Unfortunately I think Makar then and Hughes now are both slightly better candidates. But pretty impressive what Josi is doing in what should be the start of his decline phase

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

Jfresh on Hughes vs Makar

For all the talk about Hughes not winning because he doesn't play on the PK, Makar is actually pretty terrible at it

Also, for all the talk about Hughes being a powerplay point thief, he's drastically outproducing Makar at ES.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I think him missing 10 games along with him being a guy that's in the mix every year but not Makar people are tired of him. He's not with Makar or Hughes but could easily be the third guy.

This is sorta how I see Fox, arguably a top 3 guy any given year, he's just not as flashy as Hughes or Makar so his contributions can get overlooked.

He's solid like Tanev where many don't notice his defensive contributions but he manages to score a ton of points too.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Even if Makar surpasses Hughes in points, I think it’s very much Hughes’s award to lose this season. Every single advanced stat, metrics, eye test, and everything that comes with it shows he’s been the best defenseman in the NHL both offensively and defensively.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3