NHL.com writers vote the Norris trophy

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Fox missing some time pretty immediately ruled him out of winning but he might also never be quite the guy who has monster offensive years all the time. His overall impacts are top of the league though and probably should earn him consideration

Reactions: Auston Escobar

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Fox missing some time pretty immediately ruled him out of winning but he might also never be quite the guy who has monster offensive years all the time. His overall impacts are top of the league though and probably should earn him consideration

Eh he’s still almost P/GP, including the time after getting injured where he had to get back up to speed. (Also he’s playing with Ryan Lindgren, who couldn’t find the offensive zone with a map)

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
So Hughes has 5 more points in 5 more games played, is that pretty much what’s got him the lead?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Eh he’s still almost P/GP, including the time after getting injured where he had to get back up to speed. (Also he’s playing with Ryan Lindgren, who couldn’t find the offensive zone with a map)
Yeah, we all wish we could see what Fox could do with a partner that wasn't an offensive black hole. They wouldn't even have to be good at putting up points on their own or whatever just be able to hold the puck in at the line and not turn it over

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Do we mention defensive metrics at all? I know everyone wants to talk offensive stats, of which both Hughes and Makar have in spades, but Hughes plays less than a minute a game on PK and Makar averages nearly 3 minutes a game, more than Hedman, and only trailing Matheson in the top 10 defensive scorers in the league. Hughes also blocks far far fewer shots, hits less, and has games in hand on Makar.

I like Hughes, I am glad he will represent the USA as a top 2 defender in the world. I honestly think he's in the same stratosphere as Makar. But I would still take Cale 10 out of 10, and with obvious bias of course, but I think his all-around game is just better than Hughes.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
So Hughes has 5 more points in 5 more games played, is that pretty much what’s got him the lead?

Hughes has been incredible, you should watch him. There was at one point a stat where 6 NHL D had 30-40 mins of OZone possession while Hughes had like 60.

Makar, for all his stats, hasn't been as good defensively this year.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Do we mention defensive metrics at all? I know everyone wants to talk offensive stats, of which both Hughes and Makar have in spades, but Hughes plays less than a minute a game on PK and Makar averages nearly 3 minutes a game, more than Hedman, and only trailing Matheson in the top 10 defensive scorers in the league. Hughes also blocks far far fewer shots, hits less, and has games in hand on Makar.

I like Hughes, I am glad he will represent the USA as a top 2 defender in the world. I honestly think he's in the same stratosphere as Makar. But I would still take Cale 10 out of 10, and with obvious bias of course, but I think his all-around game is just better than Hughes.

Makar starts 25% of his shifts in the offensive zone, Hughes only starts 10. Additionally, Hughes has 62% corsi (3rd), 60% fenwick (7th amont D with 25g+), 68% OIG% (3rd among D with 13+ games played). Sure, Makar plays more but that doesn't make his playtime better.

Makar is 55% corsi (34th), 55% fenwick (30th), and 59% OIG% (26th), no game paramaters for Makar because he's too far down the list and I don't want to start counting.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Makar without MacKinnon on the ice 5v5 this year:

11GF, 16GA, 40.74 GF%, 46.14 xGF%

Much better for MacKinnon to get Norris votes since he seems to be the one making sure that Cale is good. Cale Makar's 2.08 GF/60 when separated from MacKinnon would put him 155th of the 198 Dmen with over 500 minutes played.

EDIT:

Just for reference.. Remove Elias Pettersson and JT Miller from Hughes and his numbers look like this.

58.55 GF%, 58.86 xGF%, 3.51 GF/60.

Last edited:

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
If Quinn wins, would that put him with Makar now? Was a discussion a few years back and was kind of scoffed at, but it's now looking like it could be a good debate pretty quick ehre.
Lets see if he does anything in the playoffs

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I think if makar finishes strong down the stretch he can still take it. He's got a better point/game right now and kills penalties, unlike Hughes. Hughes had an insanely fast start and then kinda came back to earth.

Will be interesting should be close.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Makar vs Hughes tonight. Must see TV.
Looking forward to it! Of course, if Makar has a great game and Hughes doesn't it's because Makar is the awesomest and deserves the Norris immediately and I'll be in this thread to tell everyone about it as obnoxiously as possible. Unfortunately, if Hughes has a great game and Makar doesn't it's because the Avs played last night and the refs clearly favored the Canucks.

Just getting the rational, level-headed debate started here.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
I think if makar finishes strong down the stretch he can still take it. He's got a better point/game right now and kills penalties, unlike Hughes. Hughes had an insanely fast start and then kinda came back to earth.

Will be interesting should be close.
Hughes has been great all season. He's putting up less points because the forwards aren't producing at nearly the rate. Hughes has had to defend more in the 2nd half of the season (and has arguably been better defensively the 2nd half as well).

Hughes isn't winning just on his offense alone. Defensively he's been head and shoulders above Makar on a lot of stats which have been posted above.

• Haha
Reactions: Oak and Buck Naked

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
Yep, pretty much just sort by points and those are who are viewed as the top 5 defenseman. Terrific insight into the minds of the voters.
Are you just butthurt that the second-pair scrub Darnell Nurse, who makes more money than Quinn Hughes, isn't being discussed as a potential nominee?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
love Hughes progression and consistent improvement in all areas of his game.
Vancouver’s position in the standings
His scoring
It will tough to knock him off this season
He seems extra motivated this season.
But a late season surge by any of these guys could change things, as recency bias is always prominent in voting.
IMG_9717.jpeg

Last edited:

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Hughes has been great all season. He's putting up less points because the forwards aren't producing at nearly the rate. Hughes has had to defend more in the 2nd half of the season (and has arguably been better defensively the 2nd half as well).

Hughes isn't winning just on his offense alone. Defensively he's been head and shoulders above Makar on a lot of stats which have been posted above.

This award is pretty much an offensive award. If makar finishes the season with more points and less games I'd suspect he will win it, even if hughes played excellently defensively in the stretch. That being said, I hate when dmen who don't play the pk win this award.

Also, I'm a Canucks fan and really happy to have Hughes the best offensive dman the canucks have ever had. Really fun to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad