NHL.com writers vote the Norris trophy

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Hughes has come a long way since 2020. He is actually now what the Canucks fans said he was 4 years ago.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Who are you arguing against? I feel like everyone is on board with Hughes winning the Norris or they're just trolling.

The people saying it's between Hughes and Makar and that the two are them are at the top this season. That's just wrong. A guy like Dobson is having a better season than Makar.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
I've literally never seen the poster you're quoting be anything but combative and prickly when it comes to the Avs. Some people just have their own little personal rivalries.

You for real? I just argued a few days ago that I think Makar is the best D in the world. :laugh: The fan boys on here are so sensitive though. Pointing out the flaws directly makes you a hater. I don't have anything against the Avs. I'm just not blind.

Also, if you read what I just wrote I said that MacKinnon is so good that he's carrying Makar this year. That's Makar, not the Avs.

Reactions: Ace of Hades

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
You for real? I just argued a few days ago that I think Makar is the best D in the world. :laugh: The fan boys on here are so sensitive though. Pointing out the flaws directly makes you a hater. I don't have anything against the Avs. I'm just not blind.
Sorry I missed that one time that it ever happened lol. Anyways, hater isn't a word I really like to use - I don't think you're that committed to the bit but I do think you like to poke a bit hehe. Plus I actually can't dislike you because of your avatar. CANTSTANDYA!

• Love
Reactions: Buck Naked

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Sorry I missed that one time that it ever happened lol. Anyways, hater isn't a word I really like to use - I don't think you're that committed to the bit but I do think you like to poke a bit hehe. Plus I actually can't dislike you because of your avatar. CANTSTANDYA!

You're absolutely right, I'm usually here to poke. I'm not a fan of any team and I don't hate any team. I just despise assumptions based on reputation

Anyway. You're good. :cool:

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I'm just curious why "the best defender in the league" played zero time on the 4-on-3 PK against the Avs with the game on the line?

Because there's no reason for the best defender in the league to jump in front of pucks when you can have Juulsen, Cole, Zadorov, or Soucy to do that.

The team would rather Hughes be healthy for the playoffs.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hughes has levelled up ever since the new coaching staff came in. He's the star that stirks the drink in Vancouver.

I've liked Makar's game more in years past than this year, still an elite player for sure, but he's looked more dominant as an all-around player in previous years imo, meanwhile MacKinnon is playing as well as I've ever seen him play during the regular season, just a dominant player who can take over a game seemingly at will.

I agree with others that Fox gets overlooked due to his playstyle, ditto with Heiskanen. 2 guys who don't have much flash in their game, but consistently control the game and tilt the ice despite playing against top lines.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Until the playoffs start when he shows again that he is too slow and to soft. Foxes name should never be mentioned in a thread with Cale Makar.

McAvoy slept on. Absolute carrying the Bruins D all year and maybe their most consistent player not named Swayman.
"BuT hE dOeSn't pUt up huge points while being mediocre defensively." Cale Makar the exception here.

• Haha
Reactions: kroufum

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Until the playoffs start when he shows again that he is too slow and to soft. Foxes name should never be mentioned in a thread with Cale Makar.

You are right, that fox guy can’t perform against top playoff performers like mackinnon

NY Post today reported that Fox leads the league in gwg over the last 5 years, it’s a good thing he is so un-clutch or the rangers might be in first place or something

heksagon

Jul 27, 2010
Finland
No no no no no, it's both. It just happens that Makar and Hughes are head and shoulders above Forsling, Slavin, and Heiskanen offensively (and then some). Hughes and Makar also very good defensively. The gap defensively speaking is miniscule compared to the gap in offense which is expansive.

In fact I'm getting sick and tired of hearing Slavin's f***in name in these. The dude has 24 points this year. He is not 3 times better defensively than Hughes or Makar, so there is no reason to even mention him here.
Well yeah, I admit Slavin is a bit of a reach.

I think Makar and Hughes are the ones deserving of a Norris this year, but I think it's wrong when great defensive d-men who are not top 5 in scoring are not even remotely in the discussion every year. I think it would be cool to have a separate trophy for defensive d-men, like forwards with the Selke trophy.

The gap defensively between these players is not huge, but still clear to see: Hughes and Makar are being deployed more offensively than someone like Heiskanen or Forsling, who are trusted in the most crucial defensive situations.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO

I think Makar and Hughes are the ones deserving of a Norris this year, but I think it's wrong when great defensive d-men who are not top 5 in scoring are not even remotely in the discussion every year. I think it would be cool to have a separate trophy for defensive d-men, like forwards with the Selke trophy.

The gap defensively between these players is not huge, but still clear to see: Hughes and Makar are being deployed more offensively than someone like Heiskanen or Forsling, who are trusted in the most crucial defensive situations.
I agree, I don't think adding a few secondary awards would be a bad thing. Recognize more players for what they do great instead of fewer.

Also IDK about Vancouver, but for the Avs, Makar is definitely the one on the ice for the most crucial defensive situations near end of games for example. Toews-Makar is our best pairing, defensively speaking. I think Bednar would play them 60 minutes a game if he could do it without killing them

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA

You are right, that fox guy can’t perform against top playoff performers like mackinnon

NY Post today reported that Fox leads the league in gwg over the last 5 years, it’s a good thing he is so un-clutch or the rangers might be in first place or something

Sorry can't hear you, I'm too busy remembering him getting abused in his own zone by NJ last playoffs. Remember more of the same in 2022. Cute regular season snippet though. He's so speshul.

• Haha
Reactions: kroufum

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA

I'd like to see the Norris be for 2 way defensemen who can play in all situations. Say the most complete defenseman of the season. Who contributes to most to his team on both sides of the ice.

Being about points only really is a disrespect to the guys who do the hard work in the trenches day in and day out.

I don't think Slavin would ever be nominated for that type of Norris even though he is awesome defensively, but Heiskanen would be in that conversation every year.

Reactions: cptjeff

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Sorry can't hear you, I'm too busy remembering him getting abused in his own zone by NJ last playoffs. Remember more of the same in 2022. Cute regular season snippet though. He's so speshul.
Yes, his career 31 points in 30 playoff games are definitely the reason the Rangers haven’t won the cup yet 😂

Definitely has nothing to do with panarin disappearing

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Except he never touches the PK or plays against top pairing forwards. Quinn will never match Cale Makar it doesn't matter how many assists he gets on the PP.

Do you have statistics to back up that Hughes doesn't play against top competition?

Also playing on the PK doesn't really mean shit except that it's a coach's decision. I'm sure Hughes can be a decent penalty killer but apparently the coach has decided it's too risky to play your best defenseman on the PK. Whether it before for the risk of injuries or just managing total minutes played. Makar didn't play many minutes on the PK at one point too. I agreed with it at the time and simultaneously still thought of him as the best defenseman in the world.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad