New Houston Rockets Owner Open To NHL Team

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't see Quebec getting in any other way than as a relocation, so it's a moot point. That said, Pens won't be splitting up from the Patrick alignment.

I think it makes sense that a city like Houston might get a relocation from the East as it would be a "deal that makes sense" while Quebec gets an expansion because they've already shown they're willing to pay the fee.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I don't see Quebec getting in any other way than as a relocation, so it's a moot point. That said, Pens won't be splitting up from the Patrick alignment.
If carolina stays then we have a problem because Quebec did apply for expansion.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Because Jacobs.

I know that. My question was if you add Huston and Seattle by 20-21...why wait 5-6 years to add Quebec, why be at 33 for 5 years ? Add Huston tomorrow because they are ready, have money, have arena, want NHL (right ? right ?).

Then Quebec patiently waits till Seattle decides to move faster than an old snail pace and when they get their arena done, the league expands by 2 more and both of Quebec and Seattle gets in.

What the canucksfan75 posted was staying at 33 for 5 years and then Quebec joining...make negative sense if you ask me.

why are there supposed to be 3 O6 teams anywhere? What difference does it make? Here's something....an O6 franchise, while being around longer, is no different than any other franchise in the league. The entitlement mentality O6 teams & their fan bases have is nauseating....

Well O6 are proven to be money makers, milking cows of the league...like it or not they have been the backbone since the beginning (not saying other teams aren't helping). People listen when they speak.

Hal1971

Mar 26, 2012
Quebec City
I think it makes sense that a city like Houston might get a relocation from the East as it would be a "deal that makes sense" while Quebec gets an expansion because they've already shown they're willing to pay the fee.
Also the fact that quebec will support a crappy team and Houston will get a team that they can build something around with young talent.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Expansion will be done by 2019 to avoid splitting the money with the players.

After 2019 you know for damn sure the players are gonna want some sweet sweet expansion money

It's a non-issue. The players aren't going to get a cut of expansion fees in the next CBA.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
If Seattle and Houston both put in competitive bids that make sense for the league and their prospective ownership groups, the NHL isn't going to say "sorry, we'll stick at 32". They'll go 33. This isn't the early 1990s where losing Hamilton to gain Ottawa was an acceptable solution. It's not acceptable for the NHL to reject either of those markets. They're prime locations in globally important cities.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If Seattle and Houston both put in competitive bids that make sense for the league and their prospective ownership groups, the NHL isn't going to say "sorry, we'll stick at 32". They'll go 33. This isn't the early 1990s where losing Hamilton to gain Ottawa was an acceptable solution. It's not acceptable for the NHL to reject either of those markets. They're prime locations in globally important cities.

so they over expand then run into an issue where they have to relocate a team and there is no place to put them with out completely messing up the alignment? Example coyotes not going to the east if relocated and a eastern team not relocating to the west if needed.

I see both getting teams one will get expansion the other will get a relocated team. Houston is ready now and could take the coyotes if the coyotes have to relocate. I think relocation of a team would be cheaper for Houston than an high expansion fee.

It has to be the right deal for Houston which is what was said regarding possibility of a team to Houston.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
so they over expand then run into an issue where they have to relocate a team and there is no place to put them with out completely messing up the alignment? Example coyotes not going to the east if relocated and a eastern team not relocating to the west if needed.

I see both getting teams one will get expansion the other will get a relocated team. Houston is ready now and could take the coyotes if the coyotes have to relocate. I think relocation of a team would be cheaper for Houston than an high expansion fee.

It has to be the right deal for Houston which is what was said regarding possibility of a team to Houston.

The NHL has had one relocation in the past 20 years, it's not the major issue you're trying to make it out to be.

Reactions: Dirty Old Man

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
Looks like Coyotes have a new landing spot...assuming they do relocate. Personally, I think the Coyotes either announce they will or will have relocated to Houston in the next 2 years unless city of Phoenix and state of Arizona ponies up the cash for a new arena before the end of this season.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Looks like Coyotes have a new landing spot...assuming they do relocate. Personally, I think the Coyotes either announce they will or will have relocated to Houston in the next 2 years unless city of Phoenix and state of Arizona ponies up the cash for a new arena before the end of this season.

so them and the hurricanes are going to move. Yotes to Huston and the Hurricanes to QC.

Reactions: SgtToody

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

How do you over expand when the expansion teams are Houston and Seattle? Houston is a massive market with historical hockey support and natural rivalries. Seattle is a large market with a wealthy and northern population, not to mention natural rivalries with Vancouver and maybe even San Jose. If a league is thinking about relocation/contraction when they expand, they're not thinking properly.

When Las Vegas got a team, a timetable on the 32nd was and is far from clear. Reallignment is only an issue when expanding would exacerbate an already unbalanced situation. Which is probably a primary reason alongside a weak dollar that QC didn't get a team.

Relocation would likely be cheaper but not necessarily, as it isn't up to you and it's embarrassing for the league. A $250/300m relocation fee makes relocation a similar cost to expansion.

I wouldn't count on the Coyotes moving. The NHL has used up too much money and energy keeping the team to simply throw their hands up because Houston is now an option.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
How do you over expand when the expansion teams are Houston and Seattle? Houston is a massive market with historical hockey support and natural rivalries. Seattle is a large market with a wealthy and northern population, not to mention natural rivalries with Vancouver and maybe even San Jose. If a league is thinking about relocation/contraction when they expand, they're not thinking properly.

When Las Vegas got a team, a timetable on the 32nd was and is far from clear. Reallignment is only an issue when expanding would exacerbate an already unbalanced situation. Which is probably a primary reason alongside a weak dollar that QC didn't get a team.

Relocation would likely be cheaper but not necessarily, as it isn't up to you and it's embarrassing for the league. A $250/300m relocation fee makes relocation a similar cost to expansion.

I wouldn't count on the Coyotes moving. The NHL has used up too much money and energy keeping the team to simply throw their hands up because Houston is now an option.

They have to put bud on the Coyotes soon though.they might not like it but they do not have choice.As well as the hurricanes

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
They have to put bud on the Coyotes soon though.they might not like it but they do not have choice.As well as the hurricanes

The Hurricanes is easier because they haven't invested their reputation in the team. If Carolina fails, they're just another Atlanta. It stings for the league but it doesn't hurt them. If Bettman/Daly allow the plug to be pulled on Arizona now? It's a massive prestige blow. They have to keep going until it's no longer in their hands (i.e. the Coyotes are evicted from Glendale).

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I don't think that if we were at 33 with Houston or Seattle and Quebec, the NHL would be SOL for relocation.

Houston, Kansas City, Portland and Atlanta all have NHL-ready arenas now.
Seattle is trying to get one done.
You also have places like Hartford, Salt Lake City, Indianapolis, Hampton Roads Virginia.

And of course, Hamilton and Toronto.

The NHL is far from closed.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Yes I agree and it would seem a very strong possibility of it happening.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Yes I agree and it would seem a very strong possibility of it happening.

Will KC pay the expansion fee though?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Will KC pay the expansion fee though?

"KC"? Kansas City? Who's "KC"?...... Did you mean Houston? Tilman Fertitta?.... He wouldnt have to pay an Expansion Fee if the Coyotes moved to Houston. Wouldnt need to apply. My guess is that Barroway (owner of the Coyotes) would sell Tilman a 49% share in the club, some sort of mutually beneficial agreement & arrangement. Any number of possible scenarios in that regard. Barroways recent hire of Steve Patterson as CEO "interesting", as Steve has deep connections & ties in Texas (as well as in Arizona but more so Texas). I doubt very much the NHL, Jacobs etc would have any problem whatsoever with that move.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
"KC"? Kansas City? Who's "KC"?...... Did you mean Houston? Tilman Fertitta?.... He wouldnt have to pay an Expansion Fee if the Coyotes moved to Houston. Wouldnt need to apply. My guess is that Barroway (owner of the Coyotes) would sell Tilman a 49% share in the club, some sort of mutually beneficial agreement & arrangement. Any number of possible scenarios in that regard. Barroways recent hire of Steve Patterson as CEO "interesting", as Steve has deep connections & ties in Texas (as well as in Arizona but more so Texas). I doubt very much the NHL, Jacobs etc would have any problem whatsoever with that move.
Kansas City. Last time they said the fee was too much when they applied.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Kansas City. Last time they said the fee was too much when they applied.

Dont see, frankly cant imagine any change in the weather in KC in that respect MM.
They were at one time "useful" as a threatened Relo destination but no, no way.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Agreed I only see KC as a relo option. Hunt Jr. said the expansion fee was too much for the market and if it's more likely to go up. Even for a relo, he would have to secure a good lease at Sprint Ctr. and the city is doing just fine without a tennant

If they expand to Seattle and Houston, I don't see any other US locations for relo options. Atlanta no longer has an NHL caliber arena. Portland could work but I think the price point is beyond what Allen wants to pay. Indy, Hartford don't have NHL buildings right now.

Strange enough, if they expand to Seattle and Houston only, it opens allot of doors for Quebec.

Expand there to make it 17-17, relo from the east to keep it intact or even relo from the west. Either way the realignment would be off by 1.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Let's say then houstone and Seattle are expansion. What happens with the Coyotes? Milwaukee? Because quebec is expansion too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad